The Student Room Group

What to say?

Ok, I'm not afraid of talking to people or anything but what do people talk about or say to someone (stranger) on freshers?

I'm terrified of not being able to say anything at all lol.

Give me some conversation starters/tips or whatever it was that u did to talk to people whilst entertaining both sides and not bragging etc...

oh and don't just reply "hi/hello" etc lol

Thanks!
The conversational pattern is pretty repetitive in freshers week.

Generally you'll ask somebody:
- what their name is
- what subject they're doing
- why they chose that subject
- why they chose this uni
-how their A-levels went
-what they think of the city so far

Then if you get on with them start talking about films/music/sports/hobbies/whatever
just be yourself and be confident when approaching people, join lots of societys and stuff too :smile:

on another note, to everyone else.... just highlight the Op's writing so its easier to read.
Reply 3
How could you think that colour font would be a good idea? :dry:
(edited 12 years ago)
Hi, my name's X, <insert comment/observation>, eventually lead into what A-levels you did, where you went, where you live, what you do, any sports/activities/television/music in common etc...
As said above stick to the obvious things. They may seem pretty boring but they're a good way to start a conversation, engage with someone who might be shy, get to know some facts about people and it will often end with the conversation naturally leading on to other things.
Original post by Gauge/Gravity
The conversational pattern is pretty repetitive in freshers week.

Generally you'll ask somebody:
- what their name is
- what subject they're doing
- why they chose that subject
- why they chose this uni
-how their A-levels went
-what they think of the city so far

Then if you get on with them start talking about films/music/sports/hobbies/whatever

Errrr......^ that

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending