The Student Room Group

AQA Design and Technology course work help...

Hello Everybody,

This is my first post here at The Student Room, so I don't want too seem to pushy, but I am in a real rush to get this controlled assessment finished and you are my last hope!

I know what your probably thinking: why am I asking for help with this controlled assessment in the middle of the summer holidays. Well, it's a bit complicated but basically, it isn't due for submission until May, however, I have chosen Design & Technology for my options and instead of continuing with the project in Year 10 I would like to get two GCSEs in DT by the time I leave school. So in order for me to complete the GCSE my teacher said I should take it home, and them email it to him by the 25th Aug (we're working on PowerPoints), but I am going on holiday on the 9th....

Anyway, I am doing the AQA Design and Technology: (45552) Product Design GCSE, and I am making jewellery inspired by China. I have got quite far to completion, and their are only a few things that I am unsure on.

Firstly, I will explain what I have done so far:
[INDENT]I have produced a design brief, analysis and specification
I have researched into existing products, Chinese artwork, materials, processes and technology
I have created a user profile and mood board of my target audience
I have produced a variety of designs, and evaluated them using CAFEQUE and SMES to come to a final design
I have made two versions of my final design. One of which is two layers of pewter, the other is pewter with an acrylic inclusion
I have got a record of manufacturing, and a manufacturing/product specification
I have gathered third party opinions on my jewellery, and compared it to my original specification, noting any improvements
and I have created my own packaging [/INDENT]

However, I am not completely satisfied with my record of manufacturing. So could some one please clarify what is deemed acceptable by AQA to prove that I have made my product.

Secondly, my teacher has produced a guide to the controlled assignment, which outlays what slides should be included in the Powerpoint presentation...

He has told us that we need to show evidence of modelling, both physically and CAD, but he hasn't told me what exactly I have to model. So, please could somebody clarify what type of modelling I am required to do as well.

AND Lastly, on the guide he has stated that one of the slides has to be on commercial production. Now, I am assuming that this is about how I would commercially produce my jewellery, but even if I'm right, I'm still not really sure what content that covers.
Currently, in my manufacturing specification I have just put a paragraph about how the process could be automated on a large scale. Is that the type of thing that should be included on my commercial production slide? Please discuss.

Oh yes, before I end this post, I would just like to clarify one other thing. Every where I look, it says manufacturing/product specifications should be in the form of a flow diagram, but I have simply listed the stages of manufacture, and my teacher still marked it correct?!
AND Could I ask your advice on my manufacturing specification please? I am writing about both of my pendants on the same slide at the minute, so everything looks a bit cramped. So, how would you set it out so that you can describe the process of making both products...

With many thanks and kind regards,
Andy

PS I have already completed the written exam.
Reply 1
Don't mean to seem pushy here, but I guess no one can help me here. I guess I'll just have to do what I can and think is right seeing as though I have to email the Powerpoint to my teacher this afternoon!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending