The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I think scientists tend to hand write them because of diagrams/graphs. From what I've experienced the weekly essay is a work-in-progress (e.g. no bibliography and footnotes don't need every piece of information). My supervisors did tell someone they wanted it in 12 print "For the sake of my eyes", same with single and double-spacing.
Not very helpful. Sorry.
Reply 2
do scientist have to hand write the essays..or can they type them up?

i mean u get programs to write maths equations and symbols etc..

i am only asking cause my hand writing is quite bad...it is readable but....it looks like a 9 year old wrote it :frown::frown::frown:
Reply 3
keithy

i am only asking cause my hand writing is quite bad...it is readable but....it looks like a 9 year old wrote it :frown::frown::frown:

You can easily type the Greek symbols (the "Symbols" font) and use superscripts and subscripts. Curve graphs aren't qute so easy, best to leave a space and draw it after printing.
Reply 4
yeah! so you dont have to hand write much work to be marked?????
Reply 5
depends on your supervisor.

but then again, for most (all?) essay papers in the final exams, you aren't allowed computers (or printers...) in the exam hall... :rolleyes:

and i know that for medics at least, each subject has an essay paper with at least 2 essays. :frown:

might be worth practising your handwriting - finger cramps in the middle on an essay-based exam don't sound very pleasant. :rolleyes:
KHL

might be worth practising your handwriting - finger cramps in the middle on an essay-based exam don't sound very pleasant. :rolleyes:

On the other hand, if you're a medic you should be able to sort out finger cramps no problem :smile:

MB
Reply 7
yes its all down to your supervisor. Some stipulate hand written work, most don't care, some ask you to email them your work.
I typed all my essays last year, but i'm writing them all this year because its not good going into your exams realising you haven't actually used a fountain pen in a year.
Reply 8
ahh yeah sounds good.

i can write neatly in exams :smile:...just not when i dont have to :smile:

not a medic, nat sci. hopefully shorter essays, more calculations :P...sometimes i think i shoulda done maths.
Reply 9
keithy

At the moment I type most of my essays, purely for the time factor. All my supervisors love diagrams, so I leave gaps in the text for them. Nearer exams I will probably handwrite, in order to get practise.

Musicboy - the nature of the Cambridge course means we will know which muscles are cramped, but we won't know what to do about it for another 2 years!
Reply 10
keithy

From my experience (MS Word + MathType), although it is possible to compose equations on a computer, it is a painfully slow process. It's fine if you can do it in the wordprocessor itself, i.e., if the equation is linear and uses available symbols (most can do superscript and subscripts), but as soon as you need any multi-level or overlapping element, e.g., sums, integrals, simulataneous super- and sub-script, vincula, multi-level exponents, etc., then a dedicated equation package is needed -- I use MathType) -- and it generally takes (I am not exaggerating here) more than ten times as long as writing it by hand would.
Reply 11
keithy

I'll use Physics as an example, since it an maths are the only natsci subjects I took last year.
Generally the supervisor expected handwritten work, as it frequently required diagrams and it's a lot quicker to write equations than type them. Generally they don't care about handwriting style as long as it's vaguely legible, it's certainly not necessary to be too neat. I did end up copying out my work from rough to neat most of the time though, occasionally doing it in neat straight away though. In physics they do expect you to do a Head of Class write-up that I believe requires typing and is a couple of thousand words or so... it's not too bad though for a one off.

In compsci this year though most supervisors don't mind it emailed as long as diagrams aren't needed, this is partly because the lab is a long way away and the supervisions aren't college based. It usually works out fine anyway, only one has bitched at me about not wanting to print it, and I just ignored him :wink:.

Alaric.

Latest