The Student Room Group

Is it best to assume a girl isn't interested..

If she wants to add you on Facebook. I mean you can't say 'no I want your number instead' because you'll sound really forceful.

I'm not the most exciting guy on my profile. I only have under 100 friends because I only add people that are close and who i'm mates with (or people I have to add because they're on my damn course and it's too much drama if you don't). I don't have many pictures because I ain't been on there for very long as well. I know that Facebook is all about giving a girl something to judge you on and it's annoying.

It's not like I can lie about not having a facebook profile because these days you're easily found. Won't think much of getting involved with a liar.

What do you do? Can you avoid this or is it a necessary step these days as I hate dealing with girls I'm interested in on FB.

Is there anything you can do to make yourself look like an attractive prospect on FB or are the photos of you out in social situations everything? How do you look like mr popular when you aren't?
Reply 1
There's no point pretending to be someone you aren't, if you're really worried about what she'll think of you upload a few recent pictures of yourself. :smile: It's probably best to just be straight with her and tell her that you don't really use facebook, all of your photo's are old and you only accept close friends, maybe suggest a different form of communication?
Reply 2
Well, I think that adding someone who is interested in you is quite a safe option. If you end up not liking him/her, you can just delete him/her from your friends and never hear from that person again. But if you give that person your number... You can't just delete them. Of course you can just ignore that person's texts and calls but if s/he doesn't take the hint, you'll get several desperate texts and/or calls asking why you don't answer. So FB is quite handy in these situations (not that I do that...)

And what is this all judging other people based on their FB accounts? I don't care about stuff like that and neither do my friends. If that girl cares about the amount of friends or pictures you have, would you really want to be with her? I only keep 1-3 pictures there and delete the older ones. I even keep deleting "friends" that I don't see that often so I don't have 500 friends like some people do. No one ever complains that I don't have enough friends or photos because they realise that FB =/= IRL.

Just tell her that you don't use that much FB and that you prefer texting more. Only reason why I would want to see some guy's FB would probably be his info page. That way I could know what bands, movies, games and books he likes. I don't care if he doesn't have millions of party photos and stupid "babe last night was so much fun!! xxxxxx" wall posts. Actually, I PREFER guys who don't have those things on their FB. Mr popular doesn't mean mr interesting, remember that.
1. Add her as a friend.
2. Post a terrible joke as your status.
3. If she likes it then she wants your meat.
4. ??????
5. Profit.
Reply 4
Original post by michaelhaych
1. Add her as a friend.
2. Post a terrible joke as your status.
3. If she likes it then she wants your meat.
4. ??????
5. Profit.

truer words have never been spoken....

that is exactly what you should....if a girls into you, she'll either laugh at a bad joke or tell you your a silly billy (lightheartedly) for saying it....
Reply 5
Facebook is a front, and a bad way to judge people but many girls do go along this line of bad judgement. If you want to impress of facebook, just be witty post a joke or two and get recent photos. Simple as. If you like her try speaking to her on it, and if the conversation is going somewhere make up a lie like you are going now and ask for her number or something.
no one is gonna judge you by your facebook, i think its cooler if you dont use it. i have a friend with few friends on there and pics yet he has tones of friends in real life
Original post by Anonymous
If she wants to add you on Facebook. I mean you can't say 'no I want your number instead'

No, but you can say 'would you like me to call you?'
Personally i've learnt it's hard work having to talk through Facebook to people, it's only ever worked my way for my ex, but we'd basically been hooked up by her friend anyway. There's a lot of overanalysis when people don't reply to things, chats abruptly come to stops when one person just suddenly goes offline, etc.

However, if you're interested in her and want to try make it work, you've got to make the best with what tools you have at your disposal, so try and strike up conversation with her, if she's possibly interested you'll be able to keep conversation going fairly easily and your chats will be long, etc, the usual.
:/ Unless you're a complete dick on facebook I doubt someone would judge you for it, most normal people living in the real world accept that social networking isn't always an accurate representation of your life and wouldn't just assume you have nothing going on if there's nothing on Facebook.
Your correct in saying that girls will judge you on facebook. I was recently introduced to the concept literally a few days ago and I was surprised frankly to realise that alot of girls are pretty much that shallow and pathetic to judge you on the content of a facebook social network profile. I don't think you have anything to worry about what so ever because if you like this girl then she will clearly see past all the crap or whatever that most girls tend to divulge in on facebook i.e. " Ooh, look at his abs, lets add him! " She should see past that. I think the whole idea of facebook is turning more and more into an underground dating website I mean, I heard a statistic that will be in on 2020 that 1 in 3 marriages will have happened via people randomly adding each other on facebook, I mean.. call me old fashioned but if I ever saw a girl I' liked the look off in town or whatever place , I'd much rather give her my number or ask for hers instead of asking her for a profile of you. It adds to the romance don't you think? Give the girl your number, she calls you, arranges a date... you go for coffee, tell her how beautiful she looks ... you get to know each other and fall in love and elope... Rather than, You see a girl you like, you give her your facebook name , she adds you.. finds out everything about you first then decides if you to ask you out on a date which would be awkward as you already know alot about each other without having that romantic part inbetween, its like... two stalkers meet and fall in love... Its weird frankly.
I find the whole idea of internet dating weird in that respect.

I might never get a girl but frankly I'd rather die trying to get one the romantic way rather than have a facebook wife and be part of a growing stupid statistic.

If she doesn't then you can easily un-friend her or simply not talk to her, or alternatively just add her to your block lists located on privacy option on the main page of facebook.
Reply 11
To be honest I would prefer it if a guy just asked me for my number, it's not forceful, and the worst that can happen is that she'll say no. I'm not too keen on the whole Facebook thing, and I think often when girls ask to add you it's a sure sign that they want to get to know you, but equally you can get to know someone by phone.

Next time a girl asks to add you, maybe explain that you dont really use it much, but maybe you could give her your number instead.
Reply 12
I have less than 100 friends and naff all pictures on FB. I don't care I still add girls and message them on it. I just use FB to chat to mates and girls - thats what its for chatting and communicating with people.

IMO its best to have a few good pics than loads of pics of you pissed up on a night out.

If somebody cares about my amount of friends and pictures - I don't care about them.

A bit of mystery is a good thing, just tell her you have a life and are too busy doing cool stuff in the real world to update your fb status and post pics every 20 minutes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending