On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Southampton 2012 Applicant's Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 500
Original post by TheWalkinDude
Ah didn't realise they had maps of all the different campuses. Don't suppose you know if they have a map showing where each one is in relation to the University?

Just thought if people don't have the internet (rare in this day and age I know!) it could be quite difficult for them.

http://www.soton.ac.uk/accommodation/docs/Accommodation_Guide_2012.pdf:biggrin:

Everything is online with Soton, from your accommodation to your Welcome letter, to your enrolment. Internet cafes or libraries if anyone doesn't have their own internet.
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 501
I have an interview at Southampton on the 31st for Nursing :smile:. Really happy! It's my first choice. I was so worried they wouldn't get back to me/reject me!
Reply 502
With accomdation is it done sort of first come first served? Or does it not matter when you apply to the deadline on getting your preferred accomdation?
Reply 503
Original post by Alice.
With accomdation is it done sort of first come first served? Or does it not matter when you apply to the deadline on getting your preferred accomdation?

It doesn't matter when you apply as long as it's by the deadline though it does appear that they start allocating to those who meet their offer first e.g. unconditionals.. I applied really early, put down 6 choices and got none of them.:rolleyes:

I chose self catered and got part catered and twinned as well.:eek: However, 2 days before moving in date, I was detwinnned. Still in part catered and loving it!
If you dont get your choice of accommodation, you can ask to transfer once you move in. Students move around and vacancies can come up.

However, accommodation is much of a muchness and it's all good once you move in.
Reply 504
Offer Mechanical Engineering :biggrin:
Offer of AAA for Medicine! :biggrin:
Anyone else have a visit day on the 3rd of February?
I can't decide between Southampton and Manchester :'(
How long would it take to get to Highfield Campus from Southampton Central on a uni-link bus? And how how would that compare to a taxi? (if anyone is all-knowing and knows vaguely how much a taxi would cost that would be amazing too)
I'm trying to figure out the logistics of getting there for a visit day and the train timetable is looking considerably uncooperative... :s-smilie:
Reply 508
Does anyone know whether Southampton offer the possibility of a year abroad? I could only find Modern Language courses with integrated years abroad on the website. Do they offer it for science courses (specifically Physics)?
Reply 509
Original post by capa
Does anyone know whether Southampton offer the possibility of a year abroad? I could only find Modern Language courses with integrated years abroad on the website. Do they offer it for science courses (specifically Physics)?

Here: http://www.southampton.ac.uk/international/erasmus/about/partners_by_acac_disc.html#Physics :smile:
Reply 510

Thank you, does that mean you can't go to non-European universities?
Reply 511
Original post by capa
Thank you, does that mean you can't go to non-European universities?

http://www.soton.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2012/physics_and_astronomy.shtml 1st class MPhys astronomy get the chance to go to the Harvard Smithsonian Institute in the USA, particle physicists to CERN, Geneva
Reply 512
Original post by glf2110
http://www.soton.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2012/physics_and_astronomy.shtml 1st class MPhys astronomy get the chance to go to the Harvard Smithsonian Institute in the USA, particle physicists to CERN, Geneva

Yeah thanks I knew about that. But there doesn't seem to a traditional year abroad possibility where you go to another English-speaking but overseas university. Oh well!
Reply 513
Original post by capa
Yeah thanks I knew about that. But there doesn't seem to a traditional year abroad possibility where you go to another English-speaking but overseas university. Oh well!

My brother reads Physics and he was told by Exeter that many students apply for the course with a year abroad but when it comes round to it, they change their minds to stay in the UK. There are a few Unis that offer the year in the USA (e.g. Kent Uni) but I don't think Soton do. :s-smilie:
Reply 514
Original post by imnotherehonest

How long would it take to get to Highfield Campus from Southampton Central on a uni-link bus? And how how would that compare to a taxi? (if anyone is all-knowing and knows vaguely how much a taxi would cost that would be amazing too)
I'm trying to figure out the logistics of getting there for a visit day and the train timetable is looking considerably uncooperative... :s-smilie:

Don't get a taxi! It'll be just under a tenner and the bus goes every 10 minutes door to door. Bus takes 20/25 mins maybe? Save about 5/10 mins in a taxi.
Reply 515

There is a bus stop just outside the train station. Catch the U1A which will take you to highfield 'Interchange' before heading towards Southampton Airport. The 'Interchange' is right in the middle of campus. Costs £3 for a all-day ticket.
Offer for English Lit :biggrin: Anyone else received one?
Reply 517
2 times already in southampton ... i like this city. I think i'll apply for a premium room (with a HUGE bed ;p)
Reply 518
I got an offer of AAB for Maths at SOTON
Please tell me Student Finance gets easier to deal with after the initial application!? Gave up with the online form and have just spent the last hour and a half filling out the paper form (34 pages!!!).

Some one told me that Soton are really bad at confirming your enrolment as well?

Quick Reply