The Student Room Group

Is Uni really the best three years of your life?

Scroll to see replies

My first year was one of the worst of my life - it wasn't uni related though but it affected my every day life at university, and still does to some extent. I'm enjoying my course, I have good friends, like the city I am in and the freedom is nice. I don't think I have had to set my alarm once these past 2 years - that will change...

I don't expect it to be the best 3 years of my life though! I'm not into partying and drinking enough.
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent

Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
Some people on tsr really can't take a joke, can they? :K:

The thing is, most people actually believe things like that :dontknow:
It's what you make of it.

I've just finished my first year and can't wait to go back! But of course if you're going to be anti-social and not make an effort with anyone than you certainly won't enjoy it so much.

The workload is a lot more, and it's harder but you'll probably enjoy it as you've picked the course :smile:.
Original post by Cicerao

Original post by Cicerao
I'm scared now. How many dupe accounts do you have? :lolwut:

39 over the last 9months. lol i'm kidding, this is my first one, first time on here. Why, are you mistaken me for somebody else or sumfin? Don't worry your not being stalked! lol
Of course it's not. You're living in some dinghy little room, half-starved, working late into the night on some subject you don't like half as much as you did a year ago.

Half of the people are just as intellectually vapid as those people that surrounded you at school, if not more so, the other half trying to be disgustingly eccentric when they're really as boring as all the rest.

There's **** all to do but watch iplayer.
Original post by SsEe
I've heard both of the following:
1) University is a fresh start and a chance to redefine yourself and break old habits.
2) If you were a loser before uni, you'll still be one at uni.
I'm not sure how to combine those into one viewpoint. Maybe it's: if you're normal before uni, you can take advantage of (1) to improve yourself, otherwise you're screwed. I dunno.

I think the point is people don't really change that much. If you have inherent qualities that make you a loser, they won't magically go away ... but if you were a victim of circumstance (eg, you moved halfway during secondary school and couldn't make friends or you lived in the middle of nowhere so spending all your time playing computer games was the only choice) it's a new start.
Original post by NewStartAndAllThat
Or is it a bit over rated?

I think uni life is meant to set a good foundation for your future life/career. Its really what you make of it but usually most people say its the best time of their life up until that point in time-if all goes well.

There are several factors interplaying here. Firstly, you need to be on the right course, at the right university and you need to be able to settle down relatively quickly in a new environment and make new friends. If any of the above is missing, it may not be so much fun. The most important of the above is clearly to be on the right course. Obviously do your homework very well before choosing your courses.

You are also meant to develop yourself-participate in extra curriculars, clubs and societies and discover yourself more. To be quite frank, you wont get another time in your life when you have so much freedom to do your own thing-including 2-3 months holiday, wednesday afternoons off for sports, set up clubs and societies, earn a tax free income (provided you're within the limit), go on long holidays, build a good network of friends, etc.

Once you leave uni, majority will be working for the rest of their lives till retirement and so that makes university experience truly special.

Not too sure whether its over rated though-Having said that, university may not be for everyone.

Good luck.
It's what you make of it, and for me they have been the best years of my life
Original post by DarkSenrine
Of course it's not. You're living in some dinghy little room, half-starved, working late into the night on some subject you don't like half as much as you did a year ago.

Half of the people are just as intellectually vapid as those people that surrounded you at school, if not more so, the other half trying to be disgustingly eccentric when they're really as boring as all the rest.

There's **** all to do but watch iplayer.

You sound fun.
Reply 29
Original post by TheSownRose
I think the point is people don't really change that much. If you have inherent qualities that make you a loser, they won't magically go away ... but if you were a victim of circumstance (eg, you moved halfway during secondary school and couldn't make friends or you lived in the middle of nowhere so spending all your time playing computer games was the only choice) it's a new start.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking :s-smilie: . Shame. From uni, I learned that I fall into the first category. I quickly realised that I had two options: be a complete creep and force myself onto people who didn't want to spend time with me, or accept my fate as a loner.
Original post by NewStartAndAllThat
Or is it a bit over rated?

No. In fact, I would go on to say, university is the most awful time of my life. I wish I could go back to being a child-things were hassle-free.
I hate being in university, I don't like it, I don't enjoy it. I give up.
Reply 31
Everyone says that uni is the best time of your life...enjoy how many ever years your there for .....its probably true but meh i dont know yet
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 32
Original post by SsEe
I've heard both of the following:
1) University is a fresh start and a chance to redefine yourself and break old habits.
2) If you were a loser before uni, you'll still be one at uni.
I'm not sure how to combine those into one viewpoint. Maybe it's: if you're normal before uni, you can take advantage of (1) to improve yourself, otherwise you're screwed. I dunno.

Put it like this: if you were socially unpopular before university, then you can reinvent yourself and become popular at university, as long as you accurately diagnose the reasons why, and take the necessary steps to correct this.

Some kids were just unlucky at school - they did something stupid, hung out with the wrong people, and got a reputation they couldn't shake. Uni should be more fun.

Some kids are just tools - they were unpopular at school for a good reason, and they're not self-aware enough to figure out the issue. Uni will be just the same as school.
Original post by ShinyT
Everyone says that uni is the best time of your life...enjoy how many ever years your there for .....its probably true but meh i dont know yet

I have one more year to endure the "university life". I hated every bit of it. I am glad it is summer. I spent year acting fake- I should be an actor instead of a lawyer.

I hate university. It is awful. I want to be a kid again. After GCSEe- go to Australia or somewhere and do sommat there.
Reply 34
Original post by The_Male_Melons
I have one more year to endure the "university life". I hated every bit of it. I am glad it is summer. I spent year acting fake- I should be an actor instead of a lawyer.

I hate university. It is awful. I want to be a kid again. After GCSEe- go to Australia or somewhere and do sommat there.

Wow to be honest this is probably the first person who i've heard say they hate uni (okay maybe not really, but i've forgotten :tongue:)
OoOo lawyer :smile: ...its supposed to interesting ?
LOL thanks for the advice
Reply 35
If it is then I might aswell top myself at the end of it
Original post by ShinyT
Wow to be honest this is probably the first person who i've heard say they hate uni (okay maybe not really, but i've forgotten :tongue:)
OoOo lawyer :smile: ...its supposed to interesting ?
LOL thanks for the advice

I am studying Law- it is hard but ok, if that makes sense. I do hate the university life, after first 2 days of starting university in the first year, it went downhill.

Even clubbing- gets boring. Social aspect is "meh". I do hate university life. I don't know why people enjoy it - they must be easily pleased.
Reply 37
I am studying Law- it is hard but ok, if that makes sense. I do hate the university life, after first 2 days of starting university in the first year, it went downhill.

Even clubbing- gets boring. Social aspect is "meh". I do hate university life. I don't know why people enjoy it - they must be easily pleased.

Yh it makes sense lol, but i guess some people like the whole experience and living out, whilst others dont so to avoid all of this they just go home everyday !
Original post by ShinyT
Yh it makes sense lol, but i guess some people like the whole experience and living out, whilst others dont so to avoid all of this they just go home everyday !

I live out as well. It goes a bit "meh". Everytime, I am shopping or paying bills- Iam like :eek:
I want to be a kid again- life was easier and was far happier.
I don't enjoy being 20 and in university. I don't enjoy the experience. I feel kinda detached from it all. At times, I have to force myself to join in the whole "social life " thing.
On the plus side- university has shown me that I was very naive.
Reply 39
I live out as well. It goes a bit "meh". Everytime, I am shopping or paying bills- Iam like :eek:
I want to be a kid again- life was easier and was far happier.
I don't enjoy being 20 and in university. I don't enjoy the experience. I feel kinda detached from it all. At times, I have to force myself to join in the whole "social life " thing.
On the plus side- university has shown me that I was very naive.

I wouldn't blame you for being all :eek:
Dont we all want to go bacl to those thumb sucking and thoughtless days.....
But come on you must like it even the slightest bit ?
there u go , atleast thats something ! :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest