The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Questions from a potential American exchange student

Hi, I'm a current sophomore (2nd year) at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. I'm thinking about attending Lancaster next year- for either Fall semester or a full year- and have a few questions about the school.
How are Americans studying abroad regarded at Lancaster? is it difficult for them to meet non-US students? I really want to integrate myself into the whole UK system, and like the idea of Lancaster because I can live with other non-US students.
How is Economics at Lancaster?
What's the social life at? Here at UNC, I go to a lot of bars/house parties/fraternity parties.
Are there are sizable amount of internationals?
Do people ever go out to other countries/into London? I would like to travel next year, if possible.
Thanks sooo much in advance for your help.
Reply 1
There are a ton of international students at Lancaster, so don't worry about being alone. One of my good friends is American (she goes home at Easter though, woe) and she loves it over here, basically they never bung all international students together in accommodation so you're guaranteed to know some english people.

With regards to travelling, you can always go visit friends at home during the holidays. That way you have places to stay for free and a tour guide at no extra cost!

Anyway, good luck making a decision!
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
^ what was said there
you should not find it hard to make English friends at all as you will be surrounded by them , but if you want to make friends with other international students their is plenty of chance for that as well.
and as far as bars go you can't go wrong. their are 9 on campus alone, all no more than 15 min walk away. there are always lots of social things going on as long as you want to participate. and we don't have all this fraternity stuff over here as far as i know it's all normally done on a college level, as their are 9 colleges that make up the uni. and are you old enough to be drinking anyway?! :wink:
also i happen to be an economics student, 1st year, and i can tell you it's a good course. from what i have read i believe their is slightly less of a maths element to Econ in the UK compared to the US system, which in my book is not a bad thing!
Reply 3
judge john
^ what was said there
you should not find it hard to make English friends at all as you will be surrounded by them , but if you want to make friends with other international students their is plenty of chance for that as well.
and as far as bars go you can't go wrong. their are 9 on campus alone, all no more than 15 min walk away. there are always lots of social things going on as long as you want to participate. and we don't have all this fraternity stuff over here as far as i know it's all normally done on a college level, as their are 9 colleges that make up the uni. and are you old enough to be drinking anyway?! :wink:
also i happen to be an economics student, 1st year, and i can tell you it's a good course. from what i have read i believe their is slightly less of a maths element to Econ in the UK compared to the US system, which in my book is not a bad thing!

ahah, yeah, i'm not old enough to legally in the US... but I'll be 20 when I attend whichever University I decide upon next year.
the legal age here is 21, and it sucks. but of course, there are ways to get around that.
how old are the normal 1st years in college in the uk?
Reply 4
i assume by college you mean university. i know a few Americans and it's important to separate between college and university if you don't want to be misunderstood. the simplest thing for you would be just to call 'colleges' university's as you have been previously, but Lancaster makes it more complicated for you as the University is made up of 9 colleges!

but anyway the usual 1st year is 18-19. My birthday is in September so when i came i was 19 but the majority is 18. 2nd year is 20-21 ect.

Latest

Trending

Trending