The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Potential american study abroad student with various questions

Hi, I'm a current sophomore (2nd year) at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. I'm from New York. I'm thinking about attending Sussex next year- for either Fall semester or a full year- and have a few questions about the school.
How are Americans studying abroad regarded at Sussex? is it difficult for them to meet non-US students? I really want to integrate myself into the whole UK system, and really want to meet as many non-US students as possible.
How is Economics at Sussex?
What's the social life at? Here at UNC, I go to a lot of bars/house parties/fraternity parties.
Are there are sizable amount of internationals?
Do people ever go out to other countries/into London? I would like to travel next year, if possible.
Thanks sooo much in advance for your help.
Reply 1
Americangirl08
Hi, I'm a current sophomore (2nd year) at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. I'm from New York. I'm thinking about attending Sussex next year- for either Fall semester or a full year- and have a few questions about the school.
How are Americans studying abroad regarded at Sussex? is it difficult for them to meet non-US students? I really want to integrate myself into the whole UK system, and really want to meet as many non-US students as possible.
How is Economics at Sussex?
What's the social life at? Here at UNC, I go to a lot of bars/house parties/fraternity parties.
Are there are sizable amount of internationals?
Do people ever go out to other countries/into London? I would like to travel next year, if possible.
Thanks sooo much in advance for your help.

There are absolutely massive numbers of Americans at Sussex as well as loads of other international students, we have one of the highest proportions in the uk, they mostly live in the same accomodation, but they're pretty much everywhere.

You meet as many UK students as you want to meet. If you go out and go to flat parties and things you'll meet loads of new people, if you don't , you won't. The social life at Sussex is world famous, unfortunately the economics department isn't. Foreign travel, however, is strictly down to personal choice
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Yeah, there are hundreds of Americans and internationals, so you'll never be alone. It's nice and easy to integrate - just don't choose York House for accomodation, as that's where all the americans live. As for social life, Brighton beats everywhere else hands down, and loads of people are going to London all the time, it's about an hour away by train and perfect for day trips.
One thing, though, there's no such thing as "fall". It's called autumn!
Reply 3
thanks for responding!
I'm choosing between a few places-- Sussex Lancaster and Bristol. I've never really heard of any of them, so I've been sort of confused. I wanted to go to Oxford/Cambridge/LSE (to be honest, those are the schools MOST americans have heard of..) but they seem to be soo expensive to study abroad at-- something like double my tuition at UNC.
Thanks again!
hahah I suggest you get a map. Alternatively, use this

http://maps.google.co.uk

Sussex > Bristol > Lancaster. If you're after academic prowess in Economics, though, then Sussex probably comes after the other two.
Reply 5
Thanks... is Brighton a city? I'll check on the map. thanks for the link :smile:
I, er, yeah, it is.

research research research. It's on the south coast btw *shakes head*
Reply 7
i just realized how stupid that question is.
i apologize.
thanks for helping me! :smile:
Reply 8
good mermington said:
Sussex > Bristol > Lancaster. If you're after academic prowess in Economics, though, then Sussex probably comes after the other two.

If you are looking at overall reputation and academic prowess then Bristol is by far the best of the three. Bristol is a top ten uni, where as the other two are top 30-40. If you are looking at the standard of the economics department then Bristol > Lancaster > Sussex. Look at 'The Times' and 'Sunday Times' education guides for more advise. My advise would be that if you have an offer from these three places go with Bristol.
Reply 9
thanks for your help! I think I"m going to end up applying to Bristol. Now I just have to decide how long i want to stay.
Americangirl08
thanks for your help! I think I"m going to end up applying to Bristol. Now I just have to decide how long i want to stay.

I go to Sussex and met a few girls from the US last term who were only staying for a term. Most of them were really sad to leave as staying for one term isn't really long enough - especially at Sussex, as our Autumn term is only 10 weeks! I'd definitely recommend doing the whole year if you can; plus you'll have more time to settle in.
Reply 11
good mermington
I, er, yeah, it is.

research research research. It's on the south coast btw *shakes head*

It's actually a town i think isn't it? But it's a big town.

My flatmate is over for a year from UCSD and she loves it, but she's doing international relations i think. For economics, yeah, sussex ain't the best. Good luck with everything!
Abbie
It's actually a town i think isn't it? But it's a big town.

Nah, the towns of Brighton and Hove combined in 1997 and it was given city status in 2000 :smile:

So strictly, saying Brighton is a city is wrong, as it's Brighton & Hove.. But it's not really a town on it's own either, administration-wise.
Reply 13
dogtanian
Nah, the towns of Brighton and Hove combined in 1997 and it was given city status in 2000 :smile:

So strictly, saying Brighton is a city is wrong, as it's Brighton & Hove.. But it's not really a town on it's own either, administration-wise.

Ah i knew there was something like that. The whole city/town thing seems complete obselete to me anyway as some "cities" are a lot smaller than a lot of "towns" in the UK!

Latest

Trending

Trending