The Student Room Group

Glasgow Medical School Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
Original post by atomos
yes

care to expand please? :biggrin:
Got my acknowledgement from glasgow by email today.
They have my application :smile:
Original post by Seb
care to expand please? :biggrin:

Glasgow interview ~800 people, which are the top 800 scores in the ukcat.
So if you meet all the requirements, they rank you in order of ukcat, then the top 800 are interviewed.
662.5 UKCAT. What are my chances ?
Original post by Sergio Kun Aguero

It's impossible to say what the cut-off will be this year. I got the same score as you, so let's hope it doesn't increase much higher this year!
Hi everyone!

Firstly, I accidentally voted in the poll! I applied last year, not this year. I think I got a bit excited since I haven't been in TSR for ages. So, yeah, really sorry about that :-(

To answer WE questions -
I personally had very little shadowing or volunteering. I had lots of experience working with children and vulnerable people, but not all that much in hospitals or GP practices. I really got the impression that it's not the hours/weeks that you've done. I think what they're looking for is that you really, really understand the role of the doctor and of other health care professionals.

As for the discrimination thing, that really is nonsense!!!!! In my PBL group 4 of us are Scottish, 5 aren't. In VS and labs it's been a real mix too. And I've definitely met plenty of English students in my year and years above!

Hope this helps a wee bit! Good luck everyone!!
Original post by Pandaologist
Hi everyone!

Firstly, I accidentally voted in the poll! I applied last year, not this year. I think I got a bit excited since I haven't been in TSR for ages. So, yeah, really sorry about that :-(

To answer WE questions -
I personally had very little shadowing or volunteering. I had lots of experience working with children and vulnerable people, but not all that much in hospitals or GP practices. I really got the impression that it's not the hours/weeks that you've done. I think what they're looking for is that you really, really understand the role of the doctor and of other health care professionals.

As for the discrimination thing, that really is nonsense!!!!! In my PBL group 4 of us are Scottish, 5 aren't. In VS and labs it's been a real mix too. And I've definitely met plenty of English students in my year and years above!

Thanks a lot for this Pandaologist. Are you happy at Glasgow?
Reply 247
Original post by Pandaologist
Hi everyone!

To answer WE questions -

Can I ask why you chose Glasgow? because I'm torn between a few places for my last 2 choices and I'm keen on Glasgow! :colone:
Reply 248
:rolleyes:
Original post by Seb
Can I ask why you chose Glasgow? because I'm torn between a few places for my last 2 choices and I'm keen on Glasgow! :colone:

If you're mad keen on pbl have a high ukcat and enjoy crap weather then yeh come on down:colone:
Reply 249
Original post by Lookout

If you're mad keen on pbl have a high ukcat and enjoy crap weather then yeh come on down:colone:

What is a high UKCAT score?
Reply 250
Original post by Lookout

Well, pbl seems less boring (I don't mean to sound as if I'll find medicine boring, but I can image 6 hours of lecture 5 days a week would get a bit tedious) and there's **** weather everywhere in the UK, well in the northern half anyway!
Reply 251
Original post by Oggz
What is a high UKCAT score?

I'd say anything over 675/680 should be safe. There are some high scores on the poll so far although not entirely representative I suppose :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 252
Original post by Seb
Well, pbl seems less boring (I don't mean to sound as if I'll find medicine boring, but I can image 6 hours of lecture 5 days a week would get a bit tedious) and there's **** weather everywhere in the UK, well in the northern half anyway!

Go for it then!.but I can guarantee you the weather is definitely worse here:s-smilie:
hello everyone
i really want to go to glasgow and sat my ukcat today, got 2630 (657.5)
worth applying?
Reply 254
Original post by SophiaMaria
hello everyone
i really want to go to glasgow and sat my ukcat today, got 2630 (657.5)
worth applying?

It's a great score but I think your struggling for Glasgow..the cut off was similar last year and it's bound to go up..best to go for Aberdeen or edinburgh:smile:
Original post by Lookout
It's a great score but I think your struggling for Glasgow..the cut off was similar last year and it's bound to go up..best to go for Aberdeen or edinburgh:smile:

Thanks :smile: oh well... I was speaking to one of the student's at the Glasgow open day and she said the cut off is set to go down, who knows... no one really does I guess!
Reply 256
Can you apply to Glasgow if you were rejected after interview last year?
Reply 257
Original post by Sergio Kun Aguero

i've got 657 and still thinking to apply to glasgow! not sure how high the cut off will go!
Original post by Hash3m
Can you apply to Glasgow if you were rejected after interview last year?

yes
Reply 259
I'm pretty certain I will be rejected from Glasgow.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending