The Student Room Group

Glasgow Medical School Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gunners1234

Do you know what the early contact consist of specifically? e.g gp/hospital visits

I'm not sure. I would imagine it would be GP visits first and the hospital visits later on..? :confused: You would be better asking a current student.
Reply 961
Original post by CocaineSquirrel
I'm not sure. I would imagine it would be GP visits first and the hospital visits later on..? :confused: You would be better asking a current student.

So far iv been to a hospital ( Crosshouse in Kilmarnock) and my Vocational studies tutors GP practice. So you go to 1 hosp visit and 1 GP during the 1st semester. Iv seen about 3 patients which was pretty cool. Love how you get to see patients after a few weeks
Reply 962
Original post by Dolly_D
Hi pdk yes I have an interview on 23rd too!

Cool, how are you preparing for it? What times yours? I'm proper scared haha x
Reply 963
Could any Glasgow students tell me how they find PBL? What you like/ don't like about it? I've got a general idea in my head but I'd like to hear from someone with actual experience of it.
Reply 964
Original post by pdk
Cool, how are you preparing for it? What times yours? I'm proper scared haha x

I've just been reading up on the course structure, keeping up with medical news etc. What have you been doing? My interivew is at 4.15pm so I'll be thinking about it for the whole day! Wish it was in the morning but ah well. What time is yours at? Are you a graduate? And do you have interivews anywhere else? Sorry for all the questions! Just curious! x
Original post by RO'Gara
Could any Glasgow students tell me how they find PBL? What you like/ don't like about it? I've got a general idea in my head but I'd like to hear from someone with actual experience of it.

PBL is good for me. I was used to self-research as was doing an MRes so suits me better. Depends on your group really - some contribute more than others but that also depends on knowledge. When feeding back, sometimes it is a bit rushed and people are a bit unwilling to state all they found out - not sure why... definitely preferable to sitting in lectures all the time - for me that would be hellish.
Reply 966
Original post by RO'Gara

hello. Like Sweet Chilli said id rather be in PBL than Lectures all the time. PBL for me was very enjoyable. Almost everyone contributed and i had a good facilitator. The major thing you'll notice is you won't know how much info you need to go into. They have now included more lectures so you get a general idea on how much to learn and thus lectures working with pbl with labs are much better, I think, then just PBL on its own.

Hope my new PBL group are just as good as my last one.
Reply 967
Original post by CocaineSquirrel
Yes, and they teach using both prosection and dissection.

I just -ve repped you by mistake (was scrolling down the screen but laptop has other ideas )! :tongue: apologies :smile:
Reply 968
Original post by sweetchilli
PBL is good for me. I was used to self-research as was doing an MRes so suits me better. Depends on your group really - some contribute more than others but that also depends on knowledge. When feeding back, sometimes it is a bit rushed and people are a bit unwilling to state all they found out - not sure why... definitely preferable to sitting in lectures all the time - for me that would be hellish.

Original post by G550NDH
hello. Like Sweet Chilli said id rather be in PBL than Lectures all the time. PBL for me was very enjoyable. Almost everyone contributed and i had a good facilitator. The major thing you'll notice is you won't know how much info you need to go into. They have now included more lectures so you get a general idea on how much to learn and thus lectures working with pbl with labs are much better, I think, then just PBL on its own.

Hope my new PBL group are just as good as my last one.

Reply 969
any other questions just quote us guys
Original post by G550NDH
any other questions just quote us guys

How have you found the workload so far?

Have you come against anything that you felt was particularly difficult or that you really struggled with, or would you say that the majority of people get on fine if they keep their head down and keep on top of things?

Cheers.
Reply 971
Original post by Leavemyarcelona
How have you found the workload so far?

Have you come against anything that you felt was particularly difficult or that you really struggled with, or would you say that the majority of people get on fine if they keep their head down and keep on top of things?

Cheers.

Workload isn't too bad i reckon. I took a gap year so i hadn't studies for ages. When i got back into it i was a bit worried about how much info i had to go into. Don't go into ridiculous amounts as when you revise for your exams you'll hate yourself for it.

If you do your work within the week and keep yourself organised you'll be fine. I reckon the majority get on with the work and keep on top. There were a few topics i found a bit challenging but that was like getting my head around the nervous system and learning all the anatomy. But once you get your head around it, its fine.

I thoroughly enjoyed 1st semester. Was great.
Reply 972
Original post by Dolly_D
I've just been reading up on the course structure, keeping up with medical news etc. What have you been doing? My interivew is at 4.15pm so I'll be thinking about it for the whole day! Wish it was in the morning but ah well. What time is yours at? Are you a graduate? And do you have interivews anywhere else? Sorry for all the questions! Just curious! x

Hey, PM'd you the details!
Hey guys, Anybody know of any good / cheap hotels within walking distance of the interview building?
Preferably more cheap than good.
Reply 974
Original post by joemullally
Hey guys, Anybody know of any good / cheap hotels within walking distance of the interview building?
Preferably more cheap than good.

mate stayed in argyle hotel near sauchiehall street. Closest ones i know are in town but its only a 10 min taxi to the uni.
Original post by G550NDH
mate stayed in argyle hotel near sauchiehall street. Closest ones i know are in town but its only a 10 min taxi to the uni.

Booked a room in the Argyll hotel, they reckon it's a 5 minute walk from sauchie street to the uni, that about right?

Thank you so much btw.
Reply 976
Booked a room in the Argyll hotel, they reckon it's a 5 minute walk from sauchie street to the uni, that about right?

Thank you so much btw.

To the actual building maybe 15-20 mins walk. I've walked it quite alot :smile:. I'm sure you'll leave enough time though.
Original post by Vox0
To the actual building maybe 15-20 mins walk. I've walked it quite alot :smile:. I'm sure you'll leave enough time though.

I'll give it like 30-40 mins as I don't know glasgow at all.
I'll probably get lost once or twice along the way but i'm sure I can find someone to show us the way.
Reply 978

Thank you so much btw.

Defo not 5 mins. I usually get the underground to town. It took me 1 hour from sauchiehall street to get to The uni area. Then again this was at 4.30 am. Me absolutely plastered with a bunch of mates
Original post by G550NDH
Defo not 5 mins. I usually get the underground to town. It took me 1 hour from sauchiehall street to get to The uni area. Then again this was at 4.30 am. Me absolutely plastered with a bunch of mates

You sound like a bit of a hero :P
I don't really know the underground system (don't have anything like it near here).
I might give it a go.
I might get a taxi, How expensive are they?
Are they on meters or do you agree the price when you get in?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending