The Student Room Group

Glasgow Medical School Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by twelve
You can't really base it on TSR- like you said it really isn't representative. But how do you know its going to go up? The overall average may go up, but you never know - people with the higher scores might not even apply to Glasgow...

True they might not apply :smile:but the trend is to go up!I hope it stays the same as last year but I really doubt it. lots of good candidates will lose out on Glasgow but that is their way of doing things every uni uses the ukcat differently people who can't apply may be lucky somewhere else. Anyway we'll find out soon enough:s-smilie:
Reply 121
Original post by Anterior view
I get the feeling the cut off is going to jump a fair bit this year. It normally goes up every year anyway but this years ukcat average (based on TSR )I know its only a % but still :frown:looks to be higher

Well, its prob going to go up. unless the majority of people apply with low scores. I would say a safe guess is 670. Their UKCAT avg only goes up by like 12-13 points every year, so even 670 is just for safety. But like, you said TSR is not representative and most ppl with high scores apply to sheff/kcl/newcastle etc and a lot of ppl can lie about their score online so the poll may not be that accurate or w.e.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 122
True they might not apply :smile:but the trend is to go up!I hope it stays the same as last year but I really doubt it. lots of good candidates will lose out on Glasgow but that is their way of doing things every uni uses the ukcat differently people who can't apply may be lucky somewhere else. Anyway we'll find out soon enough:s-smilie:

We could maybe get a poll on here just for Glasgow applicants? Might give you a better idea of the average for this specific place. Still won't be representative, but at leasst give you more of an idea.
Reply 123
Original post by twelve
We could maybe get a poll on here just for Glasgow applicants? Might give you a better idea of the average for this specific place. Still won't be representative, but at leasst give you more of an idea.

I like that idea.
The lady I called said as long as u get around 670, ur good. :smile:
Reply 124
I just got 667.5 avg...will it be pushing it applying here? thanks :smile:
Original post by apple17
I like that idea.
The lady I called said as long as u get around 670, ur good. :smile:

Original post by pan_93
I just got 667.5 avg...will it be pushing it applying here? thanks :smile:

It's around there, should be good.
Reply 126
Original post by ChangedMyMind
Thought I would start a thread for 2012 Glasgow Medical School applicants :smile:

Good luck everyone!

Sorry to be cheeky - but any chance you can add a poll for UKCAT score? I think it would be helpful for people with borderline UKCAT scores, who wanted to scope out possible competition and work out a likely cutoff :smile:
Original post by twelve
Sorry to be cheeky - but any chance you can add a poll for UKCAT score? I think it would be helpful for people with borderline UKCAT scores, who wanted to scope out possible competition and work out a likely cutoff :smile:

There you go :smile: Though remember that TSR tends to have a higher average demographic!
Reply 128
guys... GLASGOW FRESHERS IS ****ING AMAZING. GOOD LUCK YOUNG ONES
Sat my UKCAT this morning and got 690 - hope it is enough! :biggrin:
Think you'll be fine with that:smile: I reckon anything under 660 is very risky

:biggrin: Yeah I think so too. I think admissions were telling people to get above 670.
Reply 131
I really like Glasgow, but the fact they supposedly discriminate against English students at interview is really annoying :/ Or maybe i should say they favour scottish students, thats probably more correct.
Original post by medimike
I really like Glasgow, but the fact they supposedly discriminate against English students at interview is really annoying :/ Or maybe i should say they favour scottish students, thats probably more correct.

I've heard about Edinburgh doing that, but I don't understand on what basis you could say Glasgow discriminate against English students at interview, there's a significant number of English students at Glasgow for medicine. Glasgow accepted loads of English students for medicine last year as well, just take a look at last years Glasgow applicants thread.
Reply 133
Original post by Andrew Mooney
I've heard about Edinburgh doing that, but I don't understand on what basis you could say Glasgow discriminate against English students at interview, there's a significant number of English students at Glasgow for medicine. Glasgow accepted loads of English students for medicine last year as well, just take a look at last years Glasgow applicants thread.

I dont have the figures or anything, i was merely told by a couple of glasgow medics who i know that as a general rule you stand a much much better chance of getting in if you are scottish. As is the case with edinburgh. Just thought i'd say so people knew what I know, Im not saying its gospel but im certainly taking it into consideration!!
Glasgow are bastards, i studied 4 years here and going back to teach the med/dental students and I still cant apply here due to bad ukcat. Ridiculous.
Reply 135
i really don't know whether to apply here with 667.5 avg...i'm a re-applicant so really wanna get an interview this year after getting four rejections without interview last year...opinions would be welcomed :biggrin:
Original post by medimike
I dont have the figures or anything, i was merely told by a couple of glasgow medics who i know that as a general rule you stand a much much better chance of getting in if you are scottish. As is the case with edinburgh. Just thought i'd say so people knew what I know, Im not saying its gospel but im certainly taking it into consideration!!

this is completely wrong! I've just started 1st year and our year is huge (276). There are many nationalities represented with lots of English and Northern Irish. Probably if we got the figures, I would guess Scots are under-represented if anything. :tongue:
Reply 137
Original post by sweetchilli
this is completely wrong! I've just started 1st year and our year is huge (276). There are many nationalities represented with lots of English and Northern Irish. Probably if we got the figures, I would guess Scots are under-represented if anything. :tongue:

Yes Scottish are probably under-represented! This is why the Scottish government have introduced fees to protect Scottish applicants. Perhaps this year they will actually consider some Scottish applicants for a change!
Reply 138
Original post by caterpillar1988
Glasgow are bastards, i studied 4 years here and going back to teach the med/dental students and I still cant apply here due to bad ukcat. Ridiculous.

I'm sure I heard of an anatomy demonstrator at Glasgow who applied and wasn't interviewed because of their ukcat. Seems harsh but if it's their criteria then it's their criteria. They also seem to be a bit harder on pupils who went to private schools that is for sure!
I'd be very surprised if there was any discrimination of English/Scottish, regardless of the new fees structure. I'm pretty sure action could be taken under discriminatory protection legislation if that was the case.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending