The Student Room Group

Glasgow Medical School Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by ChangedMyMind
I'd be very surprised if there was any discrimination of English/Scottish, regardless of the new fees structure. I'm pretty sure action could be taken under discriminatory protection legislation if that was the case.

This. Has noone else considered this?
You all talk of the english and the scotts
How about the welsh?

They'd still get rediculous fee's out of us but the Welsh Assembley Government would pay the difference (we pay ~3.5 k regardless of where we study in the uk).
so we're not fleeced but they still get their cash.

How many welsh people are at Glasgow?
At the open afternoon I went to I was the only Scot. Two Indians, three English and one Irish.
Reply 143
Does anyone know what the cutoff for UKCAT in Glasgow was last year?
Original post by Rachel637
Does anyone know what the cutoff for UKCAT in Glasgow was last year?

I absolutely love glasgow, I think it would be perfect for me, yet my UKCAT was only 662.5. Is it worth applying?
Thankyou xx
Reply 146
I've got my UKCAT on the 5th, if it goes well I'll definitely apply to Glasgow! Didn't get interviewed last year cause my score was terrible :P They really shouldn't use only the UKCAT and min req. to decide who gets the interviews though, frankly I think it's plain lazy :P
Reply 147
Hi everyone ! Im a,reapplicant. Glasgow is the only place I can apply for medicine due to some reasons so I really have to get above cut off in ukcat which is on the 1st oct. Dreading it ! Jus wondering how do people's score when they do the practice test compare with the actual.scores they achieve ?

Thanks
Reply 148
Original post by fruitfan
Hi everyone ! Im a,reapplicant. Glasgow is the only place I can apply for medicine due to some reasons so I really have to get above cut off in ukcat which is on the 1st oct. Dreading it ! Jus wondering how do people's score when they do the practice test compare with the actual.scores they achieve ?

Thanks

Check the UKCAT thread :smile: But I think generally people find the practise tests harder, and don't do so well. The scores you get in htose aren't very accurate though, as the actual marks will be scaled slightly differently.
Reply 149
Original post by twelve
Check the UKCAT thread :smile: But I think generally people find the practise tests harder, and don't do so well. The scores you get in htose aren't very accurate though, as the actual marks will be scaled slightly differently.

Thanks and willdo! Are u reapplying too ? Or first time ?
Reply 150
Thanks and willdo! Are u reapplying too ? Or first time ?

Yeah I'm reapplying :smile:

Hopefully we'll have better luck this time round!
Reply 151
Original post by twelve
Yeah I'm reapplying :smile:

Hopefully we'll have better luck this time round!

Yeah, what kinda things have u been up to in ur gap year ? :smile:
Reply 152
Yeah, what kinda things have u been up to in ur gap year ? :smile:

Nothing yet really - has only just felt like it started! But I've got a job lined up in the hospital (although training dates seem to be taking aaaages to come through... :/ ) and will be learning sign language, and visiting friends at uni and hopefully a nice holiday in the summer :smile: what about you?
Reply 153
any ideas on what the cut off this year will be....like will they go up by more than they did last year given that last year had a big increase in applicants?
Original post by twelve
Nothing yet really - has only just felt like it started! But I've got a job lined up in the hospital (although training dates seem to be taking aaaages to come through... :/ ) and will be learning sign language, and visiting friends at uni and hopefully a nice holiday in the summer :smile: what about you?

I know what you mean about the training dates.
Still waiting on my Manual handling training dates.
Reply 155
Original post by joemullally
I know what you mean about the training dates.
Still waiting on my Manual handling training dates.

I knoww - I've got dates for the trust induction and hospital life support, but not for the standard auxiliary training and manual handling - which are the only two I HAVE to do before I can start :/
Original post by twelve
I knoww - I've got dates for the trust induction and hospital life support, but not for the standard auxiliary training and manual handling - which are the only two I HAVE to do before I can start :/

so far I've had internal infection control stuff from my lab job.

It takes a while but It'l be worth it?

also fire, that bloody long fire lecture.

three different alarms all corresponding to how near the fire is to you.
and then four different types of extinguisher for different kinds of fires.

whats wrong with,
If you hear a continuous tone, shift it, you don't need to call 999 as it's linked to the switch.
Reply 157
Original post by twelve

Did we atva hospital abroad this summer, and jus,doing more w.e and volunteering aswell. Im also taking a higher english qualification . Should be fun, aha

Good luck ! :smile:
Original post by sweetchilli
2010 entry ukcat cut-off was 640
2011 entry ukcat cut-off was 652.5

applying 12.5 to 652.5 as a rough guide: 2012 cut-off 665 min...

soz no idea about a typical conditional offer...
Do they rank applicants based on the UKCAT and invite for interviews?
Original post by Long Time Coming
Do they rank applicants based on the UKCAT and invite for interviews?

Yes

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending