The Student Room Group

Glasgow Medical School Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1580
Original post by teendude
Without being really harsh...

I saw people having the last minute interviews last Friday... So they have probably assigned all the offers now and will release them any day now...

Good luck all!

Yeh, it'll be very very soon! It feels like my interview was ages ago (although tbf it was like 2 months ago :tongue:)

I do wonder why dee1334 didn't get an interview though, I thought it was just grades + ukcat that were looked at pre-interview...
Original post by dee1334
Off the phone with the admissions team today and they're not giving me an interview. I honestly feel so disappointed...I had everything they need in terms of requirements and I don't even get an interview?! Sorry I sound really spoilt guys but Glasgow would have been my uni of choice :frown: What have you gotta do to get into medicine round here...:/

PS Good luck to everyone on the thread, hope the email you guys receive from UCAS makes you whoop with joy :smile:

Sorry to hear that. Did they tell you exactly why no interview? Good luck with the rest of your applications.
Original post by teendude
Without being really harsh...

I saw people having the last minute interviews last Friday... So they have probably assigned all the offers now and will release them any day now...

Good luck all!

Applicant's day is 27th March so offers will be out before then.
Reply 1583
Original post by sweetchilli

Sweetchilli, I'm genuinely scared now...and its the fact that we'll find out anytime soon!! Lucky you, already studying there, hope I will too :smile:
Reply 1584
eh i hope its this sunday or something i dont want to spend my birthday crying/worrying

i hope they reallllllyyy send out offers tomorrow night *fingers crossed*
Reply 1585
Original post by atomos
did they say why?

that's rubbish though, hopefully everything will work out elsewhere :redface:

Nope, not at all. Just rejecting for the sake of it haha! They weren't willing to give out any information during the phonecall!

Original post by KCosmo
That sucks :frown: they must have gave a reason?

How are your other applications?

Nope no reason :s-smilie: I haven't heard back from anywhere else, waiting on Liverpool, Queens and Cardiff. Really wish I could have gone to Glasgow though :frown: Oh well, I guess that's another free space for you guys!

Sorry to hear that. Did they tell you exactly why no interview? Good luck with the rest of your applications.

Nope haha. I wish I could see which part of my application 'let me down' so to speak! Thank you, really hoping hard for the rest of them now!
Reply 1586
13th March last year fell on a Sunday and offers went out just before midnight that day...so you never know might be this Sunday late on...

I just checked the thread for last year and it was late on the 14th of March the offers went out. Hopefully it'll be this Monday.

That's really short notice, I didn't get any time off work for the BL post offer day, I really hope I can stick my boss in a corner this time and ask to go (If I get an offer).
Also, I have three days of anual leave left to use by april.
Hi, I've been looking the forum and I suppose asking here would be better than starting a new thread entirely.

To current Glasgow students, could you give more information how the course is like now?
I've read posts here and there around the forum, but the 'Pros and Cons' thread is kinda old for the Glasgow review. Also SweetChilli mentioned reduction of PBL sessions, which brings a bit of a relief to me lol. (And suggests a move towards a more integrated teaching approach perhaps?)

Would like to ask more about the style of teaching there. Besides PBL, there will be lectures and lab sessions as well. How often are the lessons usually, say hours/week?
How much content do lectures cover, in terms of supplementing the PBL sessions?
How is the structure like, say a syllabus PBL facilitators give us to follow and whatnot?
Maybe someone could kindly share a review of the current style of teaching there(pros, cons, notables?)

I've undergone something very similar to PBL before I suppose, but the content difference in terms of size and detail are a concern. While I enjoy it, I'm not too sure whether I'll be able to learn so much content in comparison to what I've done previously. I suppose I'm more of questioning whether a integrated or PBL course would be more suited for me, and I would like more information regarding how Glasgow's course is conducted in order to make that choice.

As of now, I have offers from Newcastle (integrated) and Glasgow (PBL). A little trouble choosing between the two great schools so I would like to find out more about the course as much as possible before making a informed decision.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Braddd
I just checked the thread for last year and it was late on the 14th of March the offers went out. Hopefully it'll be this Monday.

I stand corrected. Was the 14th and I only signed on on the 15th but my email was there 14th.
Original post by llamelvin

In the 1st 10 weeks, we had 1 PBL session per week (lasts 2 hours) but they had basically crammed in 2 scenarios into one in terms of how much info you had to go off and learn. After 10 weeks, 2 PBL sessions per week.

Lectures to supplement PBL and also for stuff we don't cover in PBL. Lab sessions are minimal and intermittent.

We have vocational studies every week - scheduled for 3 hours but only when we are out to GP or hospital visits does it last 3 hours. Here we have discussions about ethics, autonomy, consent etc and also we have sessions with simulated patients to learn how to do consultations.

In weeks, 1-10, we had anatomy labs every week with prosections. Dissections start next week. After PBL is done, learning outcomes are posted online.

Intermittently, we have clinical skills sessions for learning to do BP, injections, take blood, CPR etc.

Overall, formal classes for about 11-13 hours per week and the rest of the time spent doing PBL/courseworks/revision etc.

hth
In the 1st 10 weeks, we had 1 PBL session per week (lasts 2 hours) but they had basically crammed in 2 scenarios into one in terms of how much info you had to go off and learn. After 10 weeks, 2 PBL sessions per week.

Lectures to supplement PBL and also for stuff we don't cover in PBL. Lab sessions are minimal and intermittent.

We have vocational studies every week - scheduled for 3 hours but only when we are out to GP or hospital visits does it last 3 hours. Here we have discussions about ethics, autonomy, consent etc and also we have sessions with simulated patients to learn how to do consultations.

In weeks, 1-10, we had anatomy labs every week with prosections. Dissections start next week. After PBL is done, learning outcomes are posted online.

Intermittently, we have clinical skills sessions for learning to do BP, injections, take blood, CPR etc.

Overall, formal classes for about 11-13 hours per week and the rest of the time spent doing PBL/courseworks/revision etc.

hth

Thanks for the quick reply, definitely helped.

Would you say the lectures cover the learning outcomes assuming it isn't covered in PBL? Not too sure if you meant that the topic isn't taught by PBL or things you might have missed out.
Original post by llamelvin
Thanks for the quick reply, definitely helped.

Would you say the lectures cover the learning outcomes assuming it isn't covered in PBL? Not too sure if you meant that the topic isn't taught by PBL or things you might have missed out.

Lectures cover the PBL outcomes and we have lectures on stuff we don't do in PBL e.g. neoplasms
Reply 1593
Don't think anythings happening tonight but i'm still stalking my email until midnight!! Argh the pressure lol
Original post by pdk
Don't think anythings happening tonight but i'm still stalking my email until midnight!! Argh the pressure lol

just go to bed...
Reply 1595
just go to bed...

Lol I'm in bed, hoping to see that email on my phone hehe :smile:
Reply 1596
Original post by pdk
Lol I'm in bed, hoping to see that email on my phone hehe :smile:

Same! I'm lying here rather nervously :s-smilie:
But the admissions staff don't work on weekends. :s-smilie:
Reply 1598
Original post by Somerandomstudent
But the admissions staff don't work on weekends. :s-smilie:

Yeah I thought that but people are saying that offers were sent out on a sunday last year :s-smilie:
Reply 1599
Original post by pdk
Yeah I thought that but people are saying that offers were sent out on a sunday last year :s-smilie:

the first person to say they have an offer on tsr did it on 14-03-2011: 14th March 2011 23:24
i just stalked that thread and copy pasted this :colone:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending