The Student Room Group

Glasgow Medical School Applicants 2012

Poll

What was your average UKCAT score?

Thought I would start a thread for 2012 Glasgow Medical School applicants :smile:

Good luck everyone!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Does anyone know what a typical conditional offer is? I have seen anything from AH BBC BCC. And what do you think the ukcat cutoff will be this year it was around 655 last year so its bound to go up:frown:
2010 entry ukcat cut-off was 640
2011 entry ukcat cut-off was 652.5

applying 12.5 to 652.5 as a rough guide: 2012 cut-off 665 min...

soz no idea about a typical conditional offer...
Is it only the UKCAT cut off used for Interview selection?
Or are there other factors?
Is there a detailed breakdown of admisions somewhere?
Reply 4
Helllllo guys ! Glasgow is a brilliant place to apply ! I can't wait till i start in september !

Cut off this year was 652.5
A Level grades needed was AAB BUT they have moved it up to AAA

Highers: Minimum of AAAAB at one sitting including Chemistry and Biology and either Mathematics or Physics.

Pass in SG English at Grade 2 or an Intermediate 2 pass in English or above is required.

Top 800 UKCAT get interviewed (thats how they decide the cut off point)
You then get interviewed then hopefully an offer :biggrin:

Good luck to all of you and if you need any questions I'm sure you can PM sweet chilli or me :smile:
Reply 5
@G550NDH what made you choose Glasgow? Was there anything in particular that attracted you to it?
Reply 6
Original post by ChangedMyMind
@G550NDH what made you choose Glasgow? Was there anything in particular that attracted you to it?

Quote me mate. Then i can reply quicker :smile:

The course PBL i think suits me more as a person. I personally get bored in Lectures and like to learn in a good of people as you can interact more. Also its better in the long run as the way you learn during your F1 onward years is very similar (independent learning).

Its a thriving city with many clubs pubs and is only 2nd to london for shopping.

The main reason ? The main building looks like Hogwarts. Waking up to that will be very cool. And the Med school is just amazing. State of the art equipment !
Reply 7
I'm only applying if I get 660+ in my ukcat....

I hate the ukcat...
Reply 8
Original post by G550NDH
Quote me mate. Then i can reply quicker :smile:

The course PBL i think suits me more as a person. I personally get bored in Lectures and like to learn in a good of people as you can interact more. Also its better in the long run as the way you learn during your F1 onward years is very similar (independent learning).

Its a thriving city with many clubs pubs and is only 2nd to london for shopping.

The main reason ? The main building looks like Hogwarts. Waking up to that will be very cool. And the Med school is just amazing. State of the art equipment !

Ooo never thought to quote. Sorry I am a noob! :frown: Yeah I am from Glasgow so can definitely back-up the nightlife. I will definitely be applying (if my UKCAT is good enough!).
Reply 9
Original post by Braddd
I'm only applying if I get 660+ in my ukcat....

I hate the ukcat...

Me too. UKCAT = pain!
Original post by joemullally
Is it only the UKCAT cut off used for Interview selection?
Or are there other factors?
Is there a detailed breakdown of admisions somewhere?

Original post by G550NDH
Helllllo guys ! Glasgow is a brilliant place to apply ! I can't wait till i start in september !

Cut off this year was 652.5
A Level grades needed was AAB BUT they have moved it up to AAA

Highers: Minimum of AAAAB at one sitting including Chemistry and Biology and either Mathematics or Physics.

Pass in SG English at Grade 2 or an Intermediate 2 pass in English or above is required.

Top 800 UKCAT get interviewed (thats how they decide the cut off point)
You then get interviewed then hopefully an offer :biggrin:

Good luck to all of you and if you need any questions I'm sure you can PM sweet chilli or me :smile:

you must first meet the academics then it is down to UKCAT score (top 800) as G550NDH said. Then the interviewers use your PS and ref to formulate questions at interview...
Original post by sweetchilli
you must first meet the academics then it is down to UKCAT score (top 800) as G550NDH said. Then the interviewers use your PS and ref to formulate questions at interview...

Do you happen to know if they still split up the your total score in the same way as the other medical schools? Like 20% academic, 20% non-academic, 10% UKCAT, 50% interview?

I got 677.5 average
2A* 1A 6B's and a C at GCSE
and will have A level results in hand (anything from AAAB to A*A*A*A)
would I meet the academic stage for this?

what's the interview to place offer?

(I'll check the gcse page but do you know if just meeting the req's is enough or are you marked against other applicants on academics?)
Original post by ChangedMyMind
Do you happen to know if they still split up the your total score in the same way as the other medical schools? Like 20% academic, 20% non-academic, 10% UKCAT, 50% interview?

No idea how they split the score or if they do at all. I thought get interview then it is yea or nae...

I got 677.5 average

(I'll check the gcse page but do you know if just meeting the req's is enough or are you marked against other applicants on academics?)

no idea on gcse's I'm afraid as I'm scottish but 800 interviewed: 400 offers approx for 225 places... pretty good odds. Would imagine that if you meet the entry requirements that's it and then you are ranked according to your UKCAT score...
No idea how they split the score or if they do at all. I thought get interview then it is yea or nae...

Thanks sweetchilli for your help :smile:
I got 677.5 average

From Glasgow website:

A-levels: AAA in three A2 examinations at one sitting to include Chemistry and one of Mathematics, Physics or Biology. General studies is NOT acceptable as a third subject at A2. A GCSE pass in English at a minimum of Grade B is also required. If Biology is not studied at A2 level, it should be taken at GCSE or AS level. A minimum of grade A is required. Biology and Human Biology are considered as equal subjects. We do not consider Mathematics and Further Mathematics as two separate subjects at A-level

As long as you meet these... not like e.g. B'ham where they are GCSE greedy
From Glasgow website:

A-levels: AAA in three A2 examinations at one sitting to include Chemistry and one of Mathematics, Physics or Biology. General studies is NOT acceptable as a third subject at A2. A GCSE pass in English at a minimum of Grade B is also required. If Biology is not studied at A2 level, it should be taken at GCSE or AS level. A minimum of grade A is required. Biology and Human Biology are considered as equal subjects. We do not consider Mathematics and Further Mathematics as two separate subjects at A-level

As long as you meet these... not like e.g. B'ham where they are GCSE greedy

Fair,

Do you know how anatomy is taught at Glasgow?

I get the impression that the course is very split into pre-clin and then clin from their website.
Does this mean that there's no element of PBL?
Also the self directed learning bit sounds quite good and I kinda like the way the different phases, A lot of medschools have different things in each phase system but Glasgow's sounds quite varied throughout.

Does anyone know how the fee's work for a welsh student going to scotland?
Reply 17
I'm positive that once you get to the interview stage they ignore everything else. So basically:

1) Get AAAAB (then BCC AH) or equivalent.
2) Get a UKCAT above cut-off.
3) Automatic interview without them even looking at PS and reference.
4) Ace the interview and have amazing PS/reference and you have a place.
Reply 18
Hey I am a gap year student and got A*A*B in Maths, Chemistry and Biology respectively. Do you think it is wise for me to apply to Glasgow and apply to a medicine course even?
Fair,

Do you know how anatomy is taught at Glasgow?

I get the impression that the course is very split into pre-clin and then clin from their website.
Does this mean that there's no element of PBL?
Also the self directed learning bit sounds quite good and I kinda like the way the different phases, A lot of medschools have different things in each phase system but Glasgow's sounds quite varied throughout.

Does anyone know how the fee's work for a welsh student going to scotland?

Anatomy - dissection.

There is some clinical skills teaching in years 1-2 but main clinical skills/teaching occurs year 3 onwards.

Course is mainly PBL although extra lectures and a reduction of pbl sessions is occurring this year for first years.

http://www.money4medstudents.org/content.asp?id=506. Read the bit for Scotland at the bottom of the page.

hth

Quick Reply

Latest