The Student Room Group

Edinburgh Medical School Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Just wondering if not taking EPQ would give any (even slight!) disadvantage here??
Original post by Bananaandcheese
Did my UKCAT this morning, and I'm now worrying about the quartiles!!! :s-smilie:

662.5 would be 2nd quartile or something - right?

How's everyone doing on their Personal Statements? :eek:

wow, I got exactly the same average!
I'd love to know what people thought as well :smile:
I'm writing my personal statement as we speak, It's so difficult to get everything I'd like to without sounding insincere, how do I prioritize what to put in?:confused:
good luck xx
Original post by nicolemonica
wow, I got exactly the same average!
I'd love to know what people thought as well :smile:
I'm writing my personal statement as we speak, It's so difficult to get everything I'd like to without sounding insincere, how do I prioritize what to put in?:confused:
good luck xx

The percentiles will change yearly based on that years applicants. I think 2nd quartile sounds reasonable. I will add a UKCAT poll to this thread which might give an idea, though TSR tends to have a higher average.
Aww.. this thread ssems to have faded into the background in terms of the whole 2012 applicant excitment craze :tongue:
Anyways have just sent off my UCAS with Edinburgh as one of my choices and have been watching youtube videos of their medics revue which looks amazing!!! :colondollar:
SO EXCITED!! :biggrin:

I love Edinburgh :love:

please give me an offer edinburgh :redface:
Original post by spoinkytheduck
Aww.. this thread ssems to have faded into the background in terms of the whole 2012 applicant excitment craze :tongue:
Anyways have just sent off my UCAS with Edinburgh as one of my choices and have been watching youtube videos of their medics revue which looks amazing!!! :colondollar:
SO EXCITED!! :biggrin:

I love Edinburgh :love:

please give me an offer edinburgh :redface:

Ooo what videos? Fancy posting links?
Original post by ChangedMyMind
Ooo what videos? Fancy posting links?

Theres quite a few.. just go onto youtube and search 'edinburgh medics revue' or something along those lines.. and a bunch come up :smile:

I felt so lost after finally finishing UCAS.. and these kind of made my day :tongue:
Just wondering if not taking EPQ would give any (even slight!) disadvantage here??

Someone asked at the open day if they took the EPQ into account, and the answer was a straight, "No, not at all."
You're fine :p:
Did anyone attend the open day today? It was very informative, I think Edinburgh is one of my first choices now.
Original post by TattyBoJangles
Someone asked at the open day if they took the EPQ into account, and the answer was a straight, "No, not at all."
You're fine :p:

Yay, good times.. EPQ - dropped!! :smile:

Original post by CocaineSquirrel
Did anyone attend the open day today? It was very informative, I think Edinburgh is one of my first choices now.

I didnt go to the open day (its a tad too far for me) but can you two just mention anything good / bad.. pretty much anything worth mentioning about the open day!! :tongue:

I didnt go to the open day (its a tad too far for me) but can you two just mention anything good / bad.. pretty much anything worth mentioning about the open day!! :tongue:

Well, up until today I had heard that the teaching in Edinburgh was very traditional and lecture-based. However, I was happy to hear that they provide an integrated curriculum with a good mix of PBLs and lectures/tutorials etc.

The medical building is relatively new (built in 2002 I think) and it looked very modern and well-equipped. The current students that I spoke to really recommended the course and apparently 90% of students pass their exams.

The UKCAT only counts for 8% of your application which is a big plus for me (I have a feeling I'm not going to do well)

I can't think of any bad points but if you have any questions I'll try my best to answer!

Yeah, I dropped my EPQ a while ago :tongue:

My school seem to be so clueless about medicine. I was told it was effectively impossible to get into medicine without it. I went to UCL's open day, and they didn't really seem to even know what it was, let alone put emphasis on having it :lol:
When I dropped it, everyone was shocked that I was 'jeopardising my chances'. Hahaha, how little they know.

& there was a lot of helpful info on entrance stuff :smile: They said PS and reference make up 50% of the application, with academics being the other 50% (42% grades, 8% UKCAT), and were fairly helpful when asked what to include in the PS. It's very much what you've learnt, not how much you've done - although they did say that you need to have already done work experience, and mentioning that you've organised some but not done it yet won't get you any credit.

Overall, was very nice. I already loved Edinburgh as a city, but the open day just confirmed it's a lovely uni too :tongue:
Well, up until today I had heard that the teaching in Edinburgh was very traditional and lecture-based. However, I was happy to hear that they provide an integrated curriculum with a good mix of PBLs and lectures/tutorials etc.

The medical building is relatively new (built in 2002 I think) and it looked very modern and well-equipped. The current students that I spoke to really recommended the course and apparently 90% of students pass their exams.

The UKCAT only counts for 8% of your application which is a big plus for me (I have a feeling I'm not going to do well)

I can't think of any bad points but if you have any questions I'll try my best to answer!

Yay, you've just confirmed a lot of the stuff I liked about Edinburgh! :smile: Uuumm.. with the medical building I've heard that you spend your first few years in the 'old medical school' and then your later years in what must be the 'new' one I guess! Did you see / hear anything about how that works, what the 2 buildings are like? If not no worries :tongue: Thank yoouu :smile:

Original post by TattyBoJangles
Yeah, I dropped my EPQ a while ago :tongue:

My school seem to be so clueless about medicine. I was told it was effectively impossible to get into medicine without it. I went to UCL's open day, and they didn't really seem to even know what it was, let alone put emphasis on having it :lol:
When I dropped it, everyone was shocked that I was 'jeopardising my chances'. Hahaha, how little they know.

& there was a lot of helpful info on entrance stuff :smile: They said PS and reference make up 50% of the application, with academics being the other 50% (42% grades, 8% UKCAT), and were fairly helpful when asked what to include in the PS. It's very much what you've learnt, not how much you've done - although they did say that you need to have already done work experience, and mentioning that you've organised some but not done it yet won't get you any credit.

Overall, was very nice. I already loved Edinburgh as a city, but the open day just confirmed it's a lovely uni too :tongue:

Samme!! I've been trying to drop it for weeks but they keep telling me to go to different teachers and I just get another lecture on how I'll never get into medicine without it! :rolleyes:

Oooh.. ineteresting, I like how they're pretty transparent about their selection process (along with much love for the uni!)

Thankies :smile:
Yay, you've just confirmed a lot of the stuff I liked about Edinburgh! :smile: Uuumm.. with the medical building I've heard that you spend your first few years in the 'old medical school' and then your later years in what must be the 'new' one I guess! Did you see / hear anything about how that works, what the 2 buildings are like? If not no worries :tongue: Thank yoouu :smile:

Samme!! I've been trying to drop it for weeks but they keep telling me to go to different teachers and I just get another lecture on how I'll never get into medicine without it! :rolleyes:

Oooh.. ineteresting, I like how they're pretty transparent about their selection process (along with much love for the uni!)

Thankies :smile:

Yes, that's true. Many of the pre-clinical lectures are taught in the "Old Anatomy Building" on the main campus. I think it's a beautiful lecture theatre and its history is fascinating.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3467/3959924336_f1da69c809.jpg
This building also has modern facilities as we walked past the lab area where students are given anatomy demonstrations. Edinburgh use prosection to teach anatomy which I was told is a much better method that dissection.

The new building is huge and attached to the Royal Infirmary. Aside from one of the lecture theatres and the library (with two floors) we didn't get to see much, unfortunately. There was a representative from the clinical skills department who said you will get plenty of practise on models during your clinical years eg fake arms for taking blood and fake head/chests for intubation. Students are also given sessions to brush up on communication skills, although this is pretty standard for any medical school I've visited.
Yes, that's true. Many of the pre-clinical lectures are taught in the "Old Anatomy Building" on the main campus. I think it's a beautiful lecture theatre and its history is fascinating.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3467/3959924336_f1da69c809.jpg
This building also has modern facilities as we walked past the lab area where students are given anatomy demonstrations. Edinburgh use prosection to teach anatomy which I was told is a much better method that dissection.

The new building is huge and attached to the Royal Infirmary. Aside from one of the lecture theatres and the library (with two floors) we didn't get to see much, unfortunately. There was a representative from the clinical skills department who said you will get plenty of practise on models during your clinical years eg fake arms for taking blood and fake head/chests for intubation. Students are also given sessions to brush up on communication skills, although this is pretty standard for any medical school I've visited.

Ooo.. beaut. I was worried it might be old in the sense that its a bit run down but looking at the pic and what you've said it seems to have hit a really good balance and looks amazing!!

Thanks for the info.. its made me love edinburgh even more!! :smile:
I love the skeleton in the audience :lol: I also went to a talk there, and the skeleton was posed with its legs crossed and its arm around someone.
Reply 75
applying. currently my bottom choice (only because I live in Edinburgh!).
Reply 76
Original post by Ferdowsi
applying. currently my bottom choice (only because I live in Edinburgh!).

Haha same here. Although maybe it is because I want a fresh start in a different place. I'd be absolutely thrilled if I still got in as I've seen a lot of the medical school being a student there.
Reply 77
Hi everyone!!!

I'm applying to edinburgh this year and i must say from what people have told me, the university is amazing and the medical teaching facilities are one of the best in the country. I haven't actually had the opportunity to go to any of the open days so i don't really know what the campus or city is like... can anyone fill me in?
Also, how's the social life?

Reply 78
does anyone know what edinburgh's feelings are on gradautes. I am applying as a graduate but undecided as to where yet but Ive alwasy been told they are not that keen on them and dont really take on many. Also how much emphasise do edinburgh put on the ukcat n what roughly would u need to get to have a chance lol? :smile:
Thanks
Original post by George89
does anyone know what edinburgh's feelings are on gradautes. I am applying as a graduate but undecided as to where yet but Ive alwasy been told they are not that keen on them and dont really take on many. Also how much emphasise do edinburgh put on the ukcat n what roughly would u need to get to have a chance lol? :smile:
Thanks

ukcat is i think 8%, they put it into quartiles, first quartile gets 3 points (again not totally sure but think i've read that) then 2nd gets 2 points, 3rd gets 1 point and 4th gets 0 points.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending