The Student Room Group

Edinburgh Medical School Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
anyone who's already been rejected yet to have a track or eulcid update?
I had an email off them but nothing else has happened :s-smilie:
Reply 781
Original post by wavezone113
Yeah I got Medical Science a couple of days back, direct entry into second year! :smile:

Hi, thanks for your reply. So you got an offer for the medical sciences program and they said you could transfer to medicine during your second year? And if you o transfer, which year would you join in medicine? First or second? Thanks in advance.
Reply 782
Original post by HishamG
Hi, thanks for your reply. So you got an offer for the medical sciences program and they said you could transfer to medicine during your second year? And if you o transfer, which year would you join in medicine? First or second? Thanks in advance.

No what he meant is that after you've finished the Medical Sciences degree, you can enter the second year of the medicine degree.
Reply 783
Original post by HishamG

Original post by roar558
No what he meant is that after you've finished the Medical Sciences degree, you can enter the second year of the medicine degree.

its neither of those. the medical sciences programme is 4 years, what he means is he can skip the first year of medical sciences and go straight in to year 2, then after that you can reapply for medicine but its not a guaranteed place as you have to apply through UCAS and do the full 5 years
Reply 784
Thank you both. roar558, unfortunately, I can't rep you. :/ Anyway, thank you both again for the help. I guess we'll just make sure about who's right when the poster replies. BTW, anyone else heard from teh medical sciences admissions team? Because I still haven't heard anything and my UCAS hasn't added it either. :s-smilie: :s-smilie: So worried.
Reply 785
Original post by GabbiWS
its neither of those. the medical sciences programme is 4 years, what he means is he can skip the first year of medical sciences and go straight in to year 2, then after that you can reapply for medicine but its not a guaranteed place as you have to apply through UCAS and do the full 5 years

Hmm that does sound more likely though it's also true that

Up to five offers for entry into Year 2 of the Edinburgh MBChB Medicine degree programme will be made to final year BSc (Hons) Medical Sciences undergraduates. Application for these places will be through UCAS. Medical Sciences students applying to the MBChB are required to have the appropriate academic qualifications (the minimum criteria are normally a 1st or Upper 2nd Class Honours degree and school leaving qualifications with a minimum at one sitting of BBBB in SQA Highers or BBB in A-levels or 655 at higher level and 34 points overall in the International Baccalaureate), will have to sit the UKCAT and are interviewed in common with other graduate applicants. Offers will be made before the end of semester 1 of Year 4 of the Medical Sciences degree programme.
Reply 786
Original post by HishamG
Thank you both. roar558, unfortunately, I can't rep you. :/ Anyway, thank you both again for the help. I guess we'll just make sure about who's right when the poster replies. BTW, anyone else heard from teh medical sciences admissions team? Because I still haven't heard anything and my UCAS hasn't added it either. :s-smilie: :s-smilie: So worried.

they say in the email you're not guaranteed a place and they'll notify UCAS if you're successful, so i'd assume that your track will only update if you get an offer from the course?
Reply 787
Original post by HishamG

It should be on track. I think there might be a problem if it isn't appearing. Ie it hasn't registered you as having applied to medical sciences. I'd phone UCAS up to check.
Original post by HishamG

Original post by GabbiWS

GabbiWS is right on this one! I skip first year entry and start at Edinburgh in year 2 of the Medical Sciences course. I've emailed many times about internal transfers from Medical Sciences to Medicine, and although they say it's possible, all the responses I've gotten across the years have been "it is highly unlikely". But I guess one could always try!
Reply 789
GabbiWS is right on this one! I skip first year entry and start at Edinburgh in year 2 of the Medical Sciences course. I've emailed many times about internal transfers from Medical Sciences to Medicine, and although they say it's possible, all the responses I've gotten across the years have been "it is highly unlikely". But I guess one could always try!

how long did it take for them to get back to you about the course?
i've asked to be considered just so that i might have one more option if all else fails but i haven't heard anything..

Edit:
then again my eulcid and track haven't updated, and i haven't received my feedback so i'm guessing i'll have to wait a while!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 790

Hi, wavezone113. Thank you so much for your reply. And congrats on your offer. :smile: If you don't mind me asking, are you an international applicant? And since my UCAS hasn't changed nor do I have anything on EUCLID (Actually, it hasn't been working these past few days for me, anyone else has the same problem?), should I email the uni tomorrow? (BTW, I'm an international applicant.)

Thanks for your time.
Original post by GabbiWS
how long did it take for them to get back to you about the course?
i've asked to be considered just so that i might have one more option if all else fails but i haven't heard anything..

Edit:
then again my eulcid and track haven't updated, and i haven't received my feedback so i'm guessing i'll have to wait a while!

Not too long after...

Original post by HishamG
Hi, wavezone113. Thank you so much for your reply. And congrats on your offer. :smile: If you don't mind me asking, are you an international applicant? And since my UCAS hasn't changed nor do I have anything on EUCLID (Actually, it hasn't been working these past few days for me, anyone else has the same problem?), should I email the uni tomorrow? (BTW, I'm an international applicant.)

Thanks for your time.

International! You can email them if you want I guess, but eventually they'll get to you. Last year I went through the same thing and didn't here anything back. So I had to email them and then they told me my application wasn't successful. I think just wait awhile before contacting them! :smile:
Original post by giraffegiraffe
Im still waiting to hear from edinburgh, but rang them today just to check their module resit policy, as one of my other uni choices (nottingham) doesnt allow ANY A2 module resits, even within the 2 years. Edinburgh said they allow a total of two AS module resits (not 2 per subject, but 2 overall) and NO A2 module resits, even within the two years. This was news to me, so just thought I would let you guys know, you've all been a massive help to me on this thread (its disappointing to see all the rejections :frown:

Ah frick :frown: (I'll probably need to resit after Thursday!!)
Reply 793
Has anyone else been asked to do a fee status questionnaire? I don't know whether to be hopeful or confused :redface:
Original post by madsmad
Has anyone else been asked to do a fee status questionnaire? I don't know whether to be hopeful or confused :redface:

I havent - but this seems like a good sign for you!! :smile:
Reply 795
To be honest, Edinburgh have some serious issues. They send out those fee questionnaires if you have claimed dual nationality, being the case for me living in Northern Ireland. I had to send a copy of my Irish passport.
Classified as £1850.00 a year, I thought it was a good thing.
Then I got rejected a few weeks later. Coincidentally, so has every single other person I know that has applied to Edinburgh (for any course, not just medicine) and sent over a copy of their Irish passport, classifying them as SEU fees.
Find it hard to believe that with having GCSE grades of 12A*; AS grades of 5As; a year's worth volunteering in a regional hospital; helping in a primary school for a few months; grade 8 in two instruments; play football and do athletics and swimming; have DOE and countless other extracurriculars and achievements, that they can send a measly "Unsuccessful" via ucas track. Nothing else.
Wonder if I had been classed as £9000 fees, bitten the bullet and not claimed my dual nationality would I have been given an offer?
Reply 796
Original post by gatonegro
To be honest, Edinburgh have some serious issues. They send out those fee questionnaires if you have claimed dual nationality, being the case for me living in Northern Ireland. I had to send a copy of my Irish passport.
Then I got rejected a few weeks later. Coincidentally, so has every single other person I know that has applied to Edinburgh (for any course, not just medicine) and sent over a copy of their Irish passport, classifying them as SEU fees.
Find it hard to believe that with having GCSE grades of 12A*; AS grades of 5As; a year's worth volunteering in a regional hospital; helping in a primary school for a few months; grade 8 in two instruments; play football and do athletics and swimming; have DOE and countless other extracurriculars and achievements, that they can send a measly "Unsuccessful" via ucas track. Nothing else.
Wonder if I had been classed as £9000 fees, bitten the bullet and not claimed my dual nationality would I have been given an offer?

I got asked to do it and I haven't claimed dual nationality :confused: God, Edinburgh's confusing :angry:
Reply 797

Unlucky man, 1850 a year certainly isn't incentive for Edinburgh! However, I do wonder what your UKCAT score was, I believe its a very important factor!

That kind of resume is good enough for international students I reckon even with their far worse odds than anyone else. There must have been some other factor - ukcat or ps as usual.
Reply 799
Original post by JamesUIA
Unlucky man, 1850 a year certainly isn't incentive for Edinburgh! However, I do wonder what your UKCAT score was, I believe its a very important factor!

Yes it is basically they rank everyone who's borderline by UKCAT marks and reject from the bottom up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending