The Student Room Group

Edinburgh Medical School Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 940
Original post by wavezone113
Stats? If I may ask... :smile:

i had 740 for my ukcat, 6 As for my A levels (international student)

For my PS i wrote about 2 research projects, my experience with my medical missions as well as job shadowing.
Reply 941
Original post by roar558
Is it just me or is Euclid still blank?

ha, I've got an offer (yay), mine went blank and now it's gone back to pending :tongue:
Original post by xadmin
I am sorry, do you have any other choices left?

I have an offer from newcastle for medicine so all is good :smile:

Good luck everyone and I hope you all get in somewhere, whether it be at Edinburgh or another university :smile:
Just got an offer by email this morning! EUCLID and UCAS are still blank though... It's making me nervous now...
Reply 944
Got an unconditional offer! (apart from the PVG of course)

So chuffed, but a little worried that they got the wrong guy when looking at everyone else's stats compared to mine!
This is probably unlikely, but does anyone know if a precedence has been set for being accepted even if you miss your grades on August results day? (eg. If you have an AAA offer but get A*AB or A*A*B on results day?)
Reply 946
Congrats to everyone getting offers! :biggrin:

I just got rejected there, (well actually at 19.19 on thursday, but I never check my emails :tongue:)

Anyways, I've had an offer from my first choice since December, so I don't care at all! :tongue:

Good luck to everyone!
Congratulations to everyone with offers.

I may be one of your academic parents next year :colone: you have been warned
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 948
I'm curently in year 12 and am hopefully going to be applying for medicine in october and one of the universities was going to be Edinburgh. As i'm from london I've heard stories about how Edinburgh university favours scottish students. how far is this true?

Thanks
Reply 949
Original post by spacepirate-James
Congratulations to everyone with offers.

I may be one of your academic parents next year :colone: you have been warned

Not scared :wink:
Reply 950
Hi I also have an offer - conditional based on PVG. :biggrin:

Was just wondering if we have to send our exam certificates, PVG stuff after we firm Edinburgh or do they want it before? The offer pack doesn't really say.
Reply 951
Original post by emah123
I'm curently in year 12 and am hopefully going to be applying for medicine in october and one of the universities was going to be Edinburgh. As i'm from london I've heard stories about how Edinburgh university favours scottish students. how far is this true?

Thanks

I wouldn't say it's true. Some students that live in a certain area in edinburgh near the uni get an advantage, but that's very few, and the rest of scotland doesn't get an advantage.

They've recently divided the places for medicine between scotland/eu and the rest of the uk. However, the places put out to both of these groups are proportional to the historic intake of both groups, so effectively, competition will be the same for every applicant.

If you like the uni and the course don't let rumours stop you applying, it's a great uni :smile:
Reply 952
Original post by emah123

Thanks

If you look at the figures there are 83 places for England, Wales and Northern Ireland and 107 for Scotland and EU (source: http://www.ed.ac.uk/schools-departments/medicine-vet-medicine/undergraduate/medicine/applying/requirements) where as 45% of applicants are from Scotland and the EU and 55% are from England, Wales, and Northern Ireland (Source: http://www.ed.ac.uk/polopoly_fs/1.45567!/fileManager/FAQ%20v3.pdf).

Therefore 55% of applicants (Eng, Wal, N.Ire) are applying for 44% of places and 45% of applicants (Scotland and EU) are applying for 56% places so Scottish/EU do have an advantage. However if you really like the uni and you've got a good application, don't let that stop you, just weigh up how much you want to go and how likely you are to get in.
Reply 953
Original post by jam_jam
Hi I also have an offer - conditional based on PVG. :biggrin:

Was just wondering if we have to send our exam certificates, PVG stuff after we firm Edinburgh or do they want it before? The offer pack doesn't really say.

Yeah I was wondering that as well! Do they want everything just now or when we decide to go there? :confused:
Original post by seocor935
Yeah I was wondering that as well! Do they want everything just now or when we decide to go there? :confused:

Im guessing its once we have decided on it as our firm? Theyre going to send an email about post offer open days etc so it might say in there :smile:
All the offers look to have been given out.

linda kain @lazylsfk
@EdinburghMBChB Have all offers for medicine now been given out ?

Edinburgh Medicine @EdinburghMBChB
@lazylsfk At this stage, yes.
Reply 956
got my feedback today so going to unfollow this thread now, congrats to all with offers and good luck to the rest of you!
Reply 957
Original post by GabbiWS
got my feedback today so going to unfollow this thread now, congrats to all with offers and good luck to the rest of you!

What did your feedback say?
Reply 958
i had a good academic and non-academic score, my UKCAT was in the top quartile but i was only in the top 700 of applicants rather than the 200 they offer
Reply 959
Original post by Sarah104
I got my feedback today, which said i had a good academic score. I was wondering what actually is required for an academic score to be classed as excellent? My gcse's are all A*s and I am predicted 4 A*s at A level so i don't see how i can get any higher.. Does the number of gcse's that an applicant has affect this? Because surely that just depends on the school that they went to.

For selection criteria look here.

http://docstore.mvm.ed.ac.uk/PoliciesAndProcedures/Undergraduate/Handbook.pdf

They give you extra academic marks if you are
1. Going to a Band D or E school
2. Have achieved your grades
3. Are a graduate/from the EU

Edit: Also remember, the score for your UKCAT is also part of your academic score.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending