Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Edinburgh Medical School Applicants 2012

Announcements Posted on
Are you at uni? Can you help prospective students with their questions? We're looking for uni forum assistants 19-11-2014
  • View Poll Results: What was your average UKCAT score?
    500 or lower
    0.51%
    501 - 549
    1.02%
    550 - 599
    3.55%
    600 - 649
    14.21%
    650 - 699
    35.03%
    700 - 749
    25.38%
    750 - 799
    13.71%
    800 or higher
    6.60%

• 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarrenFlynn66)
    I got a conditional offer. but it says the only conditions are the PVG scheme, verification of qualifications etc. is anyone else the same?

Also does this just mean unconditional? cos theres no academic requirements?
    I just need to know for applying to halls.
    Thanks
    Yeah, I think everyone (bar some who need grades) got that. I certainly did anyway! Going to look at halls now too.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I got a conditional offer. but it says the only conditions are the PVG scheme, verification of qualifications etc. is anyone else the same?

Also does this just mean unconditional? cos theres no academic requirements?
    I just need to know for applying to halls.
    Thanks
    I think so. I've got my A-level grades and got a conditional on PVG for Edinburgh but unconditional for King's. Since I think I'm going for Edinburgh, I think it might be possible for me to actually "firm" Edinburgh and have King's as my insurance in case they find out that I'm a total creepo and fail my PVG...

Is this right? Can anyone confirm?
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    What are you guys thinking for accomodation?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HeatherM)
    What are you guys thinking for accomodation?
    I definately want to go self catered. You?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea. Was thinking perhaps self-catered, but my mum has reminded me that my lack of culinary school and mild OCD about cleanliness in the kitchen may be a problem...
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam_jam)
    I definately want to go self catered. You?

(Original post by Rugby N)
    I have no idea. Was thinking perhaps self-catered, but my mum has reminded me that my lack of culinary school and mild OCD about cleanliness in the kitchen may be a problem...
    I was thinking self catered. But i'm not sure. I'm not exactly a culinary mastermind... :P
    But catered accomodation is extortionate, and rooms are smaller.... Plus, i'd skip meals for longer in bed.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HeatherM)
    I was thinking self catered. But i'm not sure. I'm not exactly a culinary mastermind... :P
    But catered accomodation is extortionate, and rooms are smaller.... Plus, i'd skip meals for longer in bed.
    Haha longer in bed sounds like a much better option - I just want the flexibility to eat what I want, when I want.

I would also prefer living in a flat as opposed to on a corridor. Have you started looking at properties - even though Edinburgh doesn't seem to have a good record of giving you one of your prefered.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam_jam)
    Haha longer in bed sounds like a much better option - I just want the flexibility to eat what I want, when I want.

I would also prefer living in a flat as opposed to on a corridor. Have you started looking at properties - even though Edinburgh doesn't seem to have a good record of giving you one of your prefered.
    Yeah, i've narrowed it down to Nicolson St, Meadow Court, Darroch Court, Kinkaids Court or New Arthur Place. I think. But that took ages alone... And i did it on location and then for different reasons. For example, i'm pretty sure you get a sink in your room in Nicolson. A sink means a mirror. :P Means i can brush my teeth IN my room and everything... and i can faff about with my make up before i leave my room- so i wont turn my flatmates to stone
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    has anyone started to send away their certificates etc? Also do you have to wait for the PVG form to come to you first ? Thanks
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    has anyone started to send away their certificates etc? Also do you have to wait for the PVG form to come to you first ? Thanks
    I think it is just easier for them if you send them both together. If you are going to the post offer visit day you can hand them both in then.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    yeh I will probably do that, but how do u get a PVG form ???
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    yeh I will probably do that, but how do u get a PVG form ???
    When you firm your offer they will send one out to you - you have to let them know though if you are already a PVG member as they will need to send you a different form
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone,

Firstly, congratulations on your offers I'm very happy for you and I wish you all the best with your medical careers!

I was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to inbox me their personal statement? I am hoping to reapply to Edinburgh this October, and was looking to get an idea of the standard of successful personal statements.

Thank you very much!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Jasmine)
    Hey everyone,

Firstly, congratulations on your offers I'm very happy for you and I wish you all the best with your medical careers!

I was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to inbox me their personal statement? I am hoping to reapply to Edinburgh this October, and was looking to get an idea of the standard of successful personal statements.

Thank you very much!
    Yeah me too please . I got rejected and would like to reapply this October as well.

Jasmine, what did your feedback say?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xadmin)
    Yeah me too please . I got rejected and would like to reapply this October as well.

Jasmine, what did your feedback say?
    We can help each other out then!

My feedback said:

"Excellent academics, top quartile UKCAT, good non-academics"

Thing is, I thought my non-academics were better than my academics

What about your feedback?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Jasmine)
    We can help each other out then!

My feedback said:

"Excellent academics, top quartile UKCAT, good non-academics"

Thing is, I thought my non-academics were better than my academics

What about your feedback?
    Yes, I will PM you. We can help each other out to make our applications better this year.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Okey dokes. Just firmed Edinburgh! See you folks there!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    did anyone reply to the POVD email address but not get a confirmation? I'm going on the 11th and I never got any sort of reply after the initial invite!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nk2012)
    did anyone reply to the POVD email address but not get a confirmation? I'm going on the 11th and I never got any sort of reply after the initial invite!
    I'm the 25th and never got a reply either. Don't know if they will send one though.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'm not able to go to the POVD.

Please let me know how it goes...

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 21, 2012
New on TSR

Exclusive Nick Clegg interview

Your questions answered by the deputy prime minister

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.