The Student Room Group

Edinburgh Medical School Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by theshowmustgoon
It's not working for me either. Is yours working now?

yeah mine is working now :smile: yours?
Reply 141
Original post by Solo-monster
with 810 in my UKCAT
4A's at As
13A*'s

i feel i might have left it slightly late to apply to Medicine, i have a personal statement written but I'm unsure if the school will let me apply as it is an extremely completive course. Can some please just give me the encouragement to apply?

!!!!! 810 !! how did you manage that?
Reply 142
Original post by why-hello-there
Does anyone know what the quartiles for the ukcat were last year? :smile:

Original post by jasqur
I'd like to know this too as i'm slightly worried with my 640 ukcat score :s-smilie:

Roughly 700+ #1, 650-700 #2 600-650 #3 and <600 #4

This is what i was told by the deputy head teacher at my school who was told by an admissions officer. This puts me in #3
Reply 143
Original post by LHC
Roughly 700+ #1, 650-700 #2 600-650 #3 and &lt;600 #4

This is what i was told by the deputy head teacher at my school who was told by an admissions officer. This puts me in #3

Going by the poll, it'll be quite a bit above 700 to get into the first quartile.
Original post by kingme
Going by the poll, it'll be quite a bit above 700 to get into the first quartile.

but remember that tsr generally has a higher average of ukcats. although more and more people do seem to be getting 700+ :frown:
Reply 145
Original post by atomos
but remember that tsr generally has a higher average of ukcats. although more and more people do seem to be getting 700+ :frown:

really? probably just liars.

i thought it was really rare to top 700 til i came here.
Reply 146
Original post by kingme

I wouldn't go by the poll. Remember there are thousands of people who apply to medicine and those who have low scores aren't exactly going to put them on a student room poll. A person I knew last year got 624 and she was in the third quadrant :smile: so with 622.5, I desperately hope I also get into the third. The ukcat is the only thing that let's me down :frown: so I'm really happy that for Edinburgh it is only worth 8% :smile:
Reply 147
Original post by LHC
I wouldn't go by the poll. Remember there are thousands of people who apply to medicine and those who have low scores aren't exactly going to put them on a student room poll. A person I knew last year got 624 and she was in the third quadrant :smile: so with 622.5, I desperately hope I also get into the third. The ukcat is the only thing that let's me down :frown: so I'm really happy that for Edinburgh it is only worth 8% :smile:

Its only one point either way. I might have snuck into the top quartile, but eventually didn't apply cos i don't think id get enough points.
Original post by LHC

Reply 149
Original post by LHC

Thanks for that! hmm...sounds like i'll be in the 3rd quartile too :s-smilie:
Reply 150
Original post by kingme
Its only one point either way. I might have snuck into the top quartile, but eventually didn't apply cos i don't think id get enough points.

Seriously? You definitely should have applied, especially with a score over 700 :O that's an amazing score!
Reply 151
Original post by jasqur
Thanks for that! hmm...sounds like i'll be in the 3rd quartile too :s-smilie:

Third quartile isn't too bad :smile: we only lose two points, it could have been a lot more :smile: let's just hope our other stuff is good enough for them to give us lots of points :smile:
Reply 152
Original post by LHC
Seriously? You definitely should have applied, especially with a score over 700 :O that's an amazing score!

Well, I actually got 695. I was more worried about lack of extra-curricular stuff.
Reply 153
Original post by kingme
Well, I actually got 695. I was more worried about lack of extra-curricular stuff.

Still, that's an absolutely fantastic score! I'd take that anyday :smile: well what things have you done, this includes voluntary work and work experience as well as other interests :smile: ?
Reply 154
Original post by LHC
Still, that's an absolutely fantastic score! I'd take that anyday :smile: well what things have you done, this includes voluntary work and work experience as well as other interests :smile: ?

I thought so too, but there's so many on here with 700+ its devalued a bit for me.:laugh: I was slightly gutted cos I thought it had gone awful, so quit the last review with nearly seven minutes to go - might have got 700 otherwise :frown::laugh:

10 days medical work experience (as of tomorrow)
Few months in Oxfam
Volunteered in a hospital for a while, but this was a six-week rotation so I didn't do it that many times.
I can play a tiny bit of guitar (haven't touched it for six months)
Can't think of anything else.
Reply 155
Original post by kingme
I thought so too, but there's so many on here with 700+ its devalued a bit for me.:laugh: I was slightly gutted cos I thought it had gone awful, so quit the last review with nearly seven minutes to go - might have got 700 otherwise :frown::laugh:

10 days medical work experience (as of tomorrow)
Few months in Oxfam
Volunteered in a hospital for a while, but this was a six-week rotation so I didn't do it that many times.
I can play a tiny bit of guitar (haven't touched it for six months)
Can't think of anything else.

I know :L its insane :L well i majorly screwed mine up, in the vr I ended up getting five scroll down passages at the end and ran out of time and missed 12 questions. Then I panicked. And because I did, I couldn't do the qr properly and couldn't see patterns in abstract at all, which is my best part. But managed to calm down by da so that was the only score I got that was half decent. When I came out I thought I had under 600. It sucks so much because i was aiming for over 800 and my practice stuff went so well :frown: but I can't do anything about it now.

Well that is some pretty decent work experience you've got there :smile: so you'd have done well on that. Did you not join any clubs at school or do any sports throughout school? Or do you have a part time job?

I think I'll do well in the extra-curricular part, just not the ukcat bit :/
Reply 156
Original post by LHC
Third quartile isn't too bad :smile: we only lose two points, it could have been a lot more :smile: let's just hope our other stuff is good enough for them to give us lots of points :smile:

yeah lets hope everything else is enough!
Reply 157
Original post by LHC
I know :L its insane :L well i majorly screwed mine up, in the vr I ended up getting five scroll down passages at the end and ran out of time and missed 12 questions. Then I panicked. And because I did, I couldn't do the qr properly and couldn't see patterns in abstract at all, which is my best part. But managed to calm down by da so that was the only score I got that was half decent. When I came out I thought I had under 600. It sucks so much because i was aiming for over 800 and my practice stuff went so well :frown: but I can't do anything about it now.

Well that is some pretty decent work experience you've got there :smile: so you'd have done well on that. Did you not join any clubs at school or do any sports throughout school? Or do you have a part time job?

I think I'll do well in the extra-curricular part, just not the ukcat bit :/

No, no, and done a tiny bit of distributing. Didn't think it was worth wasting characters on tbh.

So since you get nearly half of your point from extra-curricular stuff, I thought I might as well not bother.
Reply 158
Original post by kingme
No, no, and done a tiny bit of distributing. Didn't think it was worth wasting characters on tbh.

So since you get nearly half of your point from extra-curricular stuff, I thought I might as well not bother.

Ah I see, that's fair enough. So have you applied to ukcat/grade heavy universities then :smile:? The problem with edinburgh is that no one can actually figure out what they want. The teachers at my school say they get surprised every year by applicants edinburgh give offers to because it's always to people they wouldn't expect would get an offer... Gosh, i hope that is me :smile: fingers crossed!
Reply 159
Original post by LHC
Ah I see, that's fair enough. So have you applied to ukcat/grade heavy universities then :smile:? The problem with edinburgh is that no one can actually figure out what they want. The teachers at my school say they get surprised every year by applicants edinburgh give offers to because it's always to people they wouldn't expect would get an offer... Gosh, i hope that is me :smile: fingers crossed!

I've applied to the rest of the med schools in scotland :tongue: dunno if they are grade-heavy or what, but it'll give me time to think about what i'll say in interview:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending