The Student Room Group

Edinburgh Medical School Applicants 2012

Poll

What was your average UKCAT score?

Thought I would start a thread for 2012 Edinburgh Medical School applicants :smile:

Good luck everyone!

Scroll to see replies

Woop!! :woo:
I'm slightly too excited... :tongue:
Reply 2
Woop!! Me too! :smile:

Sitting UKCAT on 9th September! Applying with an MEng Computer Science with Distinction and AABBB highers (sitting two more highers this year in Chemistry and Human Biology). 3 years work experience volunteering with children with Aspergers syndrome and about to start more voluntary work in a hospital and a nursing home.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
I'm involved! :smile:
Edinburgh is still choice #1 for me, I think.

Let the angst fun begin!
Reply 5
Not long to go now before applications are in! Is anyone going to the open day?
Reply 6
What are Edinburgh like with GCSE's?
Original post by Caolan
What are Edinburgh like with GCSE's?

This is what it says on their website:

'The average A level applicant is offering 6A* at GCSE and the top one third (around 350) between 8 and 11 A*.'
Original post by ChangedMyMind

I know!! I was looking through my calender and got just a tad scared! :redface:
I would love to go to the open day but its too far for me (I'm east midlands).. could you tell me anything important they say there etc.?? :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by spoinkytheduck
This is what it says on their website:

'The average A level applicant is offering 6A* at GCSE and the top one third (around 350) between 8 and 11 A*.'

Ah, I probably won't be applying in that case.
Thanks though.

That's such a scary thought! Still so much to do...really need to get up to speed with UKCAT revision and PS! :redface:

Yep, i'm going to open day on 24th Sept...just booked it today :smile:

Does Edinburgh do any PBL at all?? I thought I read somewhere that 25% of the course was PBL, but I could be wrong :s-smilie:
Original post by ScottishShortiex
That's such a scary thought! Still so much to do...really need to get up to speed with UKCAT revision and PS! :redface:

Yep, i'm going to open day on 24th Sept...just booked it today :smile:

Does Edinburgh do any PBL at all?? I thought I read somewhere that 25% of the course was PBL, but I could be wrong :s-smilie:

I am going on the 5th! Not sure about PBL - though would be interested to see the answer!

It's 1 session a week - it averages about 3 hours per week if I remember correctly (I may not...). I wouldn't call it 25%!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Stegosaurus
It's 1 session a week - it averages about 3 hours per week if I remember correctly. I certainly wouldn't call it 25%!

Are you a medical student there? What do you think of it? :smile:
Are you a medical student there? What do you think of it? :smile:

No; I'm a 2012 applicant too :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Stegosaurus
It's 1 session a week - it averages about 3 hours per week if I remember correctly (I may not...). I wouldn't call it 25%!

Ok thanks :smile: I've no idea where I got that percentage from! :p: Have you been to the open day?
Ok thanks :smile: I've no idea where I got that percentage from! :p: Have you been to the open day?

You might be right! It's just not the impression that I've got :smile:

Mmhm, I went to the one on the 17th of June and thoroughly enjoyed it! The trip out to the medical school felt a bit pointless though - coach ride out there and then a wait just for an admissions lecture, but it was still good to visit the new hospital and hear things from the horse's mouth, as it were.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Caolan
Ah, I probably won't be applying in that case.
Thanks though.

You have to remember they're just averages though, so people would have got in with lower.. and their minimum requirements are something like B's.. :smile:
Great decision to apply to Edinburgh guys :biggrin:

I applied last year and will be starting the course next month (so excited!) so I'd be happy to help with any questions you have about admissions, the course etc. I was a Scottish applicant so I don't know too much about the English requirements but I'll do my best to help!

Edinburgh is a fantastic city with a great medical school, you won't regret applying there!
Reply 19
Original post by spoinkytheduck
You have to remember they're just averages though, so people would have got in with lower.. and their minimum requirements are something like B's.. :smile:

I've got 3A*'s, 6A's and a B. There int't exactly a guarantee of an interview with those grades lol.

Quick Reply