The Student Room Group

English Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Orinooko
Last time Cambridge, Durham, St. Andrews, Exeter, Loughbrough, and got offers from Durham, Exeter and Lough.

This time Cambridge, Durham, UCL, St. Andrews, Exeter.

Not much change I know - but I likedem before so I still like em :smile:

Hey, we have three in common! I guess I should be scheming against you or something...
Reply 81
Original post by LeSacMagique
Hey, we have three in common! I guess I should be scheming against you or something...

So we do! And yes definitely, scheme away, I know I will - although what college are you for Cam? perhaps its only two we're directly competing for :smile:
So we do! And yes definitely, scheme away, I know I will - although what college are you for Cam? perhaps its only two we're directly competing for :smile:

Ah, true - I'm going for Peterhouse. I'd eat my hat if I found another Peterhouse English applicant on TSR since it seems to be one of the most obscure colleges out there!
Reply 83
Ah, true - I'm going for Peterhouse. I'd eat my hat if I found another Peterhouse English applicant on TSR since it seems to be one of the most obscure colleges out there!

Ha no don't worry - as it happens it was in my shortlist but I've plumped for Magdalene :smile: What made you choose Peterhouse?
Ha no don't worry - as it happens it was in my shortlist but I've plumped for Magdalene :smile: What made you choose Peterhouse?

Well I'd like to claim it was the end result of months of detailed research but it's really only because I was a runner-up/'highly commended' on this English essay prize thing they run; they invited me to an open-day for prizewinners and I really liked it. They essentially bribed me with a salmon lunch and a chat with a research fellow.
I'm applying to do English with Psychology for 2012 ^^

In a way I'm luckier, because I can just balance the two subjects in my personal statement, given my lack of classic literature :tongue:
Reply 86
Well I'd like to claim it was the end result of months of detailed research but it's really only because I was a runner-up/'highly commended' on this English essay prize thing they run; they invited me to an open-day for prizewinners and I really liked it. They essentially bribed me with a salmon lunch and a chat with a research fellow.

Wow that's impressive :smile: Ah yeah come to think of it I think I know that prize, some people from school entered it - what was your essay on? Can I read it? :smile: haha
Wow that's impressive :smile: Ah yeah come to think of it I think I know that prize, some people from school entered it - what was your essay on? Can I read it? :smile: haha

It was on The Waste Land and Waiting for Godot. The question was something like 'what effect is achieved when a writer does or does not 'suit his word to the action, the action to the word'. I cringe a lot at parts of it because some of it is really very pretentious but sure you can, I will PM you a google doc of it or something :smile:
Reply 88
It was on The Waste Land and Waiting for Godot. The question was something like 'what effect is achieved when a writer does or does not 'suit his word to the action, the action to the word'. I cringe a lot at parts of it because some of it is really very pretentious but sure you can, I will PM you a google doc of it or something :smile:

May I look at it too please? Sounds interesting :smile:
Original post by thethinker
May I look at it too please? Sounds interesting :smile:

Just popped you a PM
Reply 90
Just popped you a PM

Thanks! (prsom) To be honest it wasn't really what I was expecting- lots of music stuff in it that went over my head a bit :tongue: Congrats on writing it, it was good and I enjoyed reading it :biggrin:
Original post by thethinker
Thanks! (prsom) To be honest it wasn't really what I was expecting- lots of music stuff in it that went over my head a bit :tongue: Congrats on writing it, it was good and I enjoyed reading it :biggrin:

Yeah there was a bit of a musical theme, I just ran with it I guess :smile: Thanks! It was tons of fun
I'm applying this year to Cambridge, Durham, Warwick, Sheffield and UEA (all to read English/English Lit. apart from at UEA, where I'm applying to read English and American Literature because the course looks absolutely incredible). I'm currently reading Kitchen by Banana Yoshimoto, which is a really wonderful, madly unique book. It contrasts quite sharply with The Great Gatsby, which I'm having to read for English Lit. and is slowly destroying my will to live -sigh-
Reply 93
Original post by muse_of_fire
I'm applying this year to Cambridge, Durham, Warwick, Sheffield and UEA (all to read English/English Lit. apart from at UEA, where I'm applying to read English and American Literature because the course looks absolutely incredible). I'm currently reading Kitchen by Banana Yoshimoto, which is a really wonderful, madly unique book. It contrasts quite sharply with The Great Gatsby, which I'm having to read for English Lit. and is slowly destroying my will to live -sigh-

Hi! I'm applying for English this year too. I LOVE Gatsby (did it for AS) - why, if you don't mind me asking, don't you like it? Just curious, lots of people in my year hated it but I never actually found out why.
Good luck with your applications :smile:
Reply 94
Yeah there was a bit of a musical theme, I just ran with it I guess :smile: Thanks! It was tons of fun

Can I read this too.
Reply 95
It's happened for the first time: I told someone I was intending to study English and they asked, 'Do you want to be an English teacher?' :angry:
Hi everyone!

Am currently on a Gap Year and have decided to re-apply this year to universities to study English Literature at: UCL, Kings College London & Cambridge. (I haven't had to re-sit my A-levels, I just wasn't too keen on the uni that offered me a place.)

Would be nice to hear from others applying for the same and also others who are re-applying this year! :smile:
Original post by LabyrinthWonder
Hi everyone!

Am currently on a Gap Year and have decided to re-apply this year to universities to study English Literature at: UCL, Kings College London & Cambridge. (I haven't had to re-sit my A-levels, I just wasn't too keen on the uni that offered me a place.)

Would be nice to hear from others applying for the same and also others who are re-applying this year! :smile:

I'm applying for Cambridge - which college are you going for?

(And only 3? That's exciting!)
I'm applying for Cambridge - which college are you going for?

(And only 3? That's exciting!)

Hello! I am applying for Trinity (got an interview there last year but did not get an offer, so am trying again! :biggrin: ) and yourself?

Haha, I am not that 'wild' :tongue:. One of the courses I am applying for is Film Directing at Drama Centre London - where they only take FIVE people, eek! And the other is another course at King's: English and Film.

What are you choices and Cambridge college?
Original post by LabyrinthWonder
Hello! I am applying for Trinity (got an interview there last year but did not get an offer, so am trying again! :biggrin: ) and yourself?

Haha, I am not that 'wild' :tongue:. One of the courses I am applying for is Film Directing at Drama Centre London - where they only take FIVE people, eek! And the other is another course at King's: English and Film.

What are you choices and Cambridge college?

Ah, I see - yeah, only 3 would be a bit foolish really. I'm applying for English at Cambridge, Durham, St Andrews, Nottingham and RHUL. Though I did yesterday have a sudden change of heart and seriously wonder why I wasn't applying for Classics & English I am now firmly in the single honours camp.

Peterhouse is my college of choice, though I'm really quite pessimistic about my Cambridge chances. I have all my digits crossed about Durham and St Andrews though!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending