The Student Room Group

English Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LeSacMagique
Ah, I see - yeah, only 3 would be a bit foolish really. I'm applying for English at Cambridge, Durham, St Andrews, Nottingham and RHUL. Though I did yesterday have a sudden change of heart and seriously wonder why I wasn't applying for Classics & English I am now firmly in the single honours camp.

Peterhouse is my college of choice, though I'm really quite pessimistic about my Cambridge chances. I have all my digits crossed about Durham and St Andrews though!

Don't be pessimistic! I am sure you will do great. :smile: Great choices you have there.

Good luck and fingers crossed!
Original post by venuswaltz
Sorry if this is a silly question but what's wrong with doing Modernism? :frown: It's something that I was really looking forward to looking into...

It may differ at certain universities, but at mine it was notorious for being extremely difficult. I do not know of one person who found it a breeze and scored highly in it. My lowest marks were in Modernism and I did well in all my other courses. Perhaps I was a little harsh though.

If Modernism is something that you are passionate about then I'm sure you will enjoy it. Just don't expect it to be simple and about 'modern' texts. For me it was the most confusing course I ever studied.
Argh I keep changing my mind on where to apply. Warwick and Birmingham are definites - they'd be my firm and insurance and if I could guarantee offers I wouldn't apply anywhere else. But I don't know where else to go! I love the idea of UCL because it's so cool that it was the first proper literature degree, the course has a great reputation and it's in Bloomsbury, but the cost and pace of London life puts me off. Same thing for King's. I love Cardiff as a city but I don't know...
Just plugging York here. Excellent course with huge flexibility, great teaching, awesome lecturers, supervisors genuinely care about you, variety in the form of a foreign literature module and general awesomeness :biggrin:
Reply 104
Advice for those applying to King's:

Their requirement is AAAb. If you don't have the 'b' at AS, they wll immediately reject you on grounds of grades regardless of whether you're predicted A*A*A* for A2 or whatever. Don't waste an application in this manner.

I've been to open days for Nottingham, Liverpool, Leeds, Exeter and RHUL for English, so if any of you have questions on those I'll happily answer :smile: (Attending Leeds, woo)
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Muffinz
Advice for those applying to King's:

Their requirement is AAAb. If you don't have the 'b' at AS, they wll immediately reject you on grounds of grades regardless of whether you're predicted A*A*A* for A2 or whatever. Don't waste an application in this manner.

I've been to open days for Nottingham, Liverpool, Leeds, Exeter and RHUL for English, so if any of you have questions on those I'll happily answer :smile: (Attending Leeds, woo)

What did you make of RHUL? My application is sent now so it's too late to change but it's meant to be my insurance choice.
Reply 106
What did you make of RHUL? My application is sent now so it's too late to change but it's meant to be my insurance choice.

Absolutely hated the place. I think it's a marmite campus. I just really didn't like it personally.
Original post by Muffinz
Absolutely hated the place. I think it's a marmite campus. I just really didn't like it personally.

Hahaha, brill! So that's 1 vote for and 2 against...

You can still change it.:biggrin: As long as you do it within seven days, after getting your track letter.
Original post by Tsunami2011
You can still change it.:biggrin: As long as you do it within seven days, after getting your track letter.

I don't know what I would change it to, though! It's pretty unlikely I'll get less than AAA at A-Level since I would have to get worse than a mid-B, a low-mid B, and a mid-C to get a B in anything, but I'd still kind of like one of my choices to be an AAB offer; the issue is that I don't really know which places do AAB which I would also like to go to...
Reply 110
Hahaha, brill! So that's 1 vote for and 2 against...

Change it to Leeds. It's ****ing amazing. They ask for AAB and are generally win and awesome. Other choices you could consider are Lancaster, Liverpool, Leeds, and Exeter's Cornwall Campus (although Flamouth is very small and nothing much happens in Cornwall in generally, take it from a local).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 111
I'm considering Southampton for an insurance, does anyone know what it's like? :smile:
Original post by Muffinz
Change it to Leeds. It's ****ing amazing. They ask for AAB and are generally win and awesome. Other choices you could consider are Lancaster, Liverpool, Leeds, and Exeter's Cornwall Campus (although Flamouth is very small and nothing much happens in Cornwall in generally, take it from a local).

If I didn't live in Leeds then that would be a top idea... Don't fancy the idea of living in Liverpool at all, may look into Lancaster. I've got seven days until they're set in stone, right?
Reply 113
If I didn't live in Leeds then that would be a top idea... Don't fancy the idea of living in Liverpool at all, may look into Lancaster. I've got seven days until they're set in stone, right?

7 days from when you recieve your welcome letter, yes.
Reply 114
Hello everyone!

My top choices are Edinburgh and Glasgow, though I'm not sure about the rest... Still thinking of St. Andrews, Aberdeen, and Strathclyde, but I also consider applying to a couple of universities in England.

As for now, I'm beginning to write my personal statement and I have a question for all of you. Do you think mentioning some foreign authors and their works is not a good idea? I understand I'm going to study ENGLISH literature, but as I'm not a British, I read a lot of German and French literature too.
Re: RHUL - I really liked it! Quite strange as I loved Leeds as well. I must say that Leeds' library looked absolutely amazing and overshadowed RHUL's (from what I could tell on the open day) but I did appreciate the close sense of community at RH.

Both sets of tutors seemed really dynamic to me (particularly in comparison one in which my family fell asleep :rolleyes:) but again, I am very aware that it was an open day and therefore, looks can be decieving.

Muffinz - can I ask what you have found (if anything) to be different about Leeds from your first impressions?

So very excited about applying and nearly there with my personal statement :biggrin:
Ah this thread is really useful so thanks OP! I'm applying for English to enter 2012- feels like time's going so fast!! I'm going to apply to Nottingham, Exeter, York, Kent (English and American Studies) and have to choose between Portsmouth or Royal Holloway for the final choice- any help with that?
As for my reading, seeing all these posts is making me quickly realise how much I need to go to a library and pick up all these essentails. Don't get me wrong, I've read a lot but it doesn't seem enough in comparison!
Reply 117
Thank god this thread exists!
I'm applying to read English at Kings college, Queen Mary, Southampton, Leicester and RHUL (though Im not certain on the last one). Finishing off the dreaded personal statement which is slowly making me loose the will to live.
Studying Faustus (went to the globe to see this yesterday, it was FAB!), Pardoner's Tale and Othello (pretty good peices of work to be honest).
My reading list is....expanding
Just finished Wild swans which was Brilliant and next one shall be Animal farm by Orwell (loved 1984)
Good luck to everyone :smile:
I loved Othello, and 1984 too! What is Faustus about? x
Original post by MzRay
Thank god this thread exists!
I'm applying to read English at Kings college, Queen Mary, Southampton, Leicester and RHUL (though Im not certain on the last one). Finishing off the dreaded personal statement which is slowly making me loose the will to live.
Studying Faustus (went to the globe to see this yesterday, it was FAB!), Pardoner's Tale and Othello (pretty good peices of work to be honest).
My reading list is....expanding
Just finished Wild swans which was Brilliant and next one shall be Animal farm by Orwell (loved 1984)
Good luck to everyone :smile:

I'm thinking of QMUL (switch from Glasgow) it's just I'm really not sure! Though it'll be for comparative literature because I feel the course is more 'me', hm.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending