The Student Room Group

So what would you recommend the police/government/somebody does to stop the riots?

Scroll to see replies

Get the army in to scare people and go northern ireland-esque on the youth's arses.
Tear gas. lots and lots of tear gas. That or introduce martial law and draft in the army to contain and confront the rioters. They should give wide spread warnings first to give anyone who isn't rioting time the get off of the streets to minimise innoccent casualties.
Reply 62
Round them up, shoot the riot water cannon at them for 4 hours straight, then leave them outside all night.
Reply 63
It depends how long these events last - perhaps they've peaked already. What I think is msot worrying is that these people are purely in it for the opportunism and I guess a bit of an adrenaline rush, plus they're not soley one demographic - I've spotted asians, whites as well as blacks. History shows heavy handedness can escalate the violence.
Somebody send in Boris with a megaphone.

I think the only option is to surround all riots, evacuate the areas of civilians, and just wait for it to calm down.

I also think the army need to be involved in the quarantine.
Reply 65
Also, shut the mobile phone networks down sporadically, to stop these idiots using social networks on the move.
Army has no power on the people like it used to. They're too busy in other places and this is petty to them.
Reply 67
Original post by meenu89
I was told by a poster that it was against the EU laws to have the army on the streets, hence my reply.

Original post by wibletg
It does - apparently we can't bring the army in due to EU law.

TSR isn't a credible source of information on legal matters.
Accept that tonight is a write-off in terms of public order, and keep up the current tactic of just responding to incidents as they come in. Focus on preventing it from going on beyond tomorrow, and declare a state of emergency coming into force 6am tomorrow morning in every city that has been affected by rioting.

Seek to suspend access to BBM (this seems to be the main method of communication), if possible.

Step up security at the 'ring of steel' to protect Central London, to stop this spreading there.

Mobilise riot-trained and urban combat trained troops armed with rubber bullets, and make an announcement for civilians to clear the streets. Set up roadblocks/kettles to divide London into sectors to try and keep disorder contained. Begin to clear up the situation by reducing the size of the controlled sectors via use of watercannon and baton/mounted police charges, containing the yobs into ever smaller areas.

Empower troops to open fire with rubber bullets on people taking part in looting.
Original post by HJV
TSR isn't a credible source of information on legal matters.

I don't believe those posts anyway - the army were in use in Northern Ireland until relatively recently and many EU countries employ gendarmeries - where do you draw the line at military? Furthermore, I remember the army being called in as a publicity stunt at Heathrow in response to 9/11.
Original post by AWOL
You're thinking of that banksy design with the flower thrower?:wink:
I think he's rather thinking of the '60s hippy movement.

Reply 71
The government should remove the red tape around the police force, give them guns, and a shoot to kill policy when it comes to dealing with these *****.

And also disable BBM.

They should be the next riot police but with protective equipment after the first kind (which were unsuccessful).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 72
That bit in bold made me giggle. :smile::

I would love for the yobs to just get shot. They have caused enough damage as it is, they need to be stopped. Unfortuantly the police have not employed tough enough measures to stop these vermin. Shoot them and be done with it. They are a strain on society, looting and burning buildings. Thats what i would recommend...but alas, noone listens to my excellent suggestions. :colondollar:
All I know is I don't have faith in David "I spoke to a black man once" Cameron about how to deal with what's going on. He may be cutting short his holiday as anyone would expect, but I genuinely do still think of him as so completely out of tune. There was even stuff on the news being said about how it was advised for him to not come back because he was in frequent contact with the cabinet, and if he did it might fuel concerns that this is a lot more serious than it is. I don't even know where to begin there, tbh.
Reply 74
Original post by LiveFastDieYoung
cant be legal? what law says no army?

its just a very extreme step that guarantees deaths so they are holding off.

The army could come in (although that would be a hard arragement on it's own), but look what you just said "guarantees deaths", which is the problem & thus making it illegal.

And before trying to get the army to take action, wouldn't CO19 be a better option?
Reply 75
Shotguns loaded with Bean bag rounds.
Original post by Major93
The army could come in (although that would be a hard arragement on it's own), but look what you just said "guarantees deaths", which is the problem & thus making it illegal.

And before trying to get the army to take action, wouldn't CO19 be a better option?

nah not illegal, article 2 of ECHR has exceptions, of which quelling rebellion is one of them provided the response is proportionate!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending