The Student Room Group

No award with English Higher

My son picked up 4 A's this year Maths, physics, chemistry and graph Comm.
He received No award for English. He got a B in his english prelim,
It not the fact he failed, he dosen't know how he failed.
He thought it was the perfect exam and is gutted. Back to school to see his teacher, can't come quick enough.
Do candiates ever get access to their exam paper to see where they went wrong?
Original post by kardex
He thought it was the perfect exam and is gutted. Back to school to see his teacher, can't come quick enough.

Candidates are not allowed to see their exam paper and neither are anyone other than SQA officials - it's to maintain some sort of "sight unseen" policy the SQA have. However, for a fee you can request a breakdown of the exam paper showing you what marks you got for each question. I'm sure another member can link you to the service as I don't know where to find it :redface:
Reply 2
Original post by kardex

I'm not sure whether it's possible or not, and if it is, it will cost you. If he got a B in his prelim, he can definitely appeal - that appeal will get another marker to check his prelim and other evidenceother work, and also to re-mark his exam.

I think it's fantastic how he got 4 As though - that's amazing. It's a shame he failed English when it seemed like a good paper. I think it is possible to view your exam paper, but again, I'm pretty sure it costs.

Best of luck to your son - he did amazingly well.
Reply 3
Original post by kardex

The fact he got A's for all his other subjects would suggest to me that it had less to do with him, and more to do with an extremely unfair and harsh marker. An appeal would most likely bring him up to at least a C, but unless he is planning on studying medicine or law, his grades will still get him unconditional offers into top Scottish universities. I know he might be upset now, but he has still done fantastically well!!! Although he is upset now, he will soon come to realise how little this will hold him back in getting into uni etc.
Reply 4
Thanks for the replies, hope someone can post the link to the site for paying for the paper breakdown.
He wants to do pharmacy and english is a must.
Original post by kardex
Thanks for the replies, hope someone can post the link to the site for paying for the paper breakdown.
He wants to do pharmacy and english is a must.

I did some digging and found this. It links to another page here which is all about how you go about doing it. It's best calling the candidate enquiry number to the right and asking about the service and your son receiving the breakdown of his marks for his Higher English exam - just to make sure it doesn't ONLY refer to a specific kind of qualification. Whoever you get at candidate enquiries is far more qualified to answer your questions than I am! :smile:
Reply 6
Are you sure he sat and passed all his nabs? If not, then that's a no award, but nabs can still be sat and sent away. If yes, sometimes the school can make a mistake in entering these, leading to a no award even if the final exam has been passed. I would contact the school.
Reply 7
My son went in to see his English teacher today, but she was already prepairing his appeal before he got there. So hats off to his teacher.

Fingers crossed, if he gets his C, so he can enjoy 6th year
Original post by akj08
Are you sure he sat and passed all his nabs? If not, then that's a no award, but nabs can still be sat and sent away. If yes, sometimes the school can make a mistake in entering these, leading to a no award even if the final exam has been passed. I would contact the school.

You still get an "exam only" grade even if you don't have all the NABs.
Reply 9
he passed all 3 nabs
Original post by kardex

Original post by kardex
he passed all 3 nabs

Good luck with his appeal, his other grades make me sure that he's a top candidate - what is he aiming to do? Hopefully he can get a C and move on with Sixth Year!
Reply 11
He is already downhearted, as the 2 girls either side of him in his group were called in on thursday to say their was a mistake with their mark.
One was changed from a D to a C and the other from a C to a B. So the appeal decision cannot come quick enough for him.
What marks did he get in his folio pieces? They make up 20% of your final grade.

Good luck with your sons appeal, I got a C at English despite being abysmal at the subject.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending