The Student Room Group

Theres a guy......

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Zoya Khan
Sure he has an interest. Maybe you should initiate some actions. Go past him closer, smile and stuff. Maybe start a conversation but if you make it a witty line, it will make him nervous. Make it casual and simple.
My case was different. The 'exchanging looks' went on for year and there was smiling in the last stages but then it was over, as I moved from the place. I'd have talked to him if I was particularly interested in him. And we knew each other!

Thanks for the post :smile:
Oh i've gone past closer recently lol and i've been smliing at him like forever.....but he's one of those guys who don't smile :angry:
OMG so it didnt work out between you guys :frown: .....and you knew him...thats a shame :frown:
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks for the post :smile:
Oh i've gone past closer recently lol and i've been smliing at him like forever.....but he's one of those guys who don't smile :angry:
OMG so it didnt work out between you guys :frown: .....and you knew him...thats a shame :frown:

Maybe you should one day tell him, "Okay, I think you're really sweet and I want to talk to you for a change rather than just looking at you... so what do you think about me?" Short, direct and sweet:smile:
Reply 22
Original post by strawberry
it depends on the setting.

Say you're sitting with a bunch of friends and he's near you or across from and playing with his phone: Hey, way to be so anti-social! what are you doing on your phone?
Or when you two are doing the staring thing: Look behind you and then look at him with a puzzled look - what are you looking at? and then laugh.
Talk about the recent weather?
Current affairs going on in the world?

There isn't really a setting where any of the above are good conversational starters tbh:
Hey, way to be so anti-social! what are you doing on your phone? - Way too upfront and nosy.
Look behind you and then look at him with a puzzled look - what are you looking at? and then laugh. - Too bitchy and gives the wrong impression, even with the laugh.
Talk about the recent weather? - Boring and cliche.
Current affairs going on in the world? - Boring and possibly too upfront.

op, Just casually approach him, say hi and then let the conversation flow naturally.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Converse
There isn't really a setting where any of the above are good conversational starters tbh:
Hey, way to be so anti-social! what are you doing on your phone? - Way too upfront and nosy.
Look behind you and then look at him with a puzzled look - what are you looking at? and then laugh. - Too bitchy and gives the wrong impression, even with the laugh.
Talk about the recent weather? - Boring and cliche.
Current affairs going on in the world? - Boring and possibly too upfront.

op, Just casually approach him, say hi and then let the conversation flow naturally.

she can't even say hello to him. those are examples, and if they came across as negative, that is YOUR interpretation. It matters HOW it was said too.
Reply 24
Original post by Anonymous
This is going to sound stupid ....but any examples ?

look, you're being really immature.

If you have many mutual friends, and you're often looking at each other, why not pluck up the courage to say 'hi'. Guys like it when you show them attention, so just noticing his existence and saying hello when you see him is going to help. If you just look at each other and tell your friends that 'there's this guy...' you're not going to get anywhere are you? Maybe ask him what his name is, introduce yourself, joke that you've seen him around loads but have never actually spoken to him. That's not weird, it's being sociable. Keep it casual, keep it friendly. He's a guy, but you need to get over that fact.

this is embarrassing you know...

edit: oh and this guy was clearly just laughing at you and being sarcastic
Original post by `R92
i dont know??? maybe??? omg this is so exciting!!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 25
she can't even say hello to him. those are examples, and if they came across as negative, that is YOUR interpretation. It matters HOW it was said too.

Saying hi is the easiest and most normal thing to do in this circumstance, and wont give the impression that she is desperate and/or pathetic, two things traits that aren't at all attractive. If she can't say hi she's not going to say the things you mentioned.

It's not my interpretation, it's fact. Those were horrific examples, no matter how they're said. I'd have asked you if you were trolling if not for the fact that you're a moderator.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Converse
Saying hi is the easiest and most normal thing to do in this circumstance, and wont give the impression that she is desperate and/or pathetic, two things traits that aren't at all attractive. If she can't say hi she's not going to say the things you mentioned.

It's not my interpretation, it's fact. Those were horrific examples, no matter how they're said. I'd have asked you if you were trolling if not for the fact that you're a moderator.

Hey, way to be so anti-social! what are you doing on your phone? - He doesn't have to tell her what he's doing on his phone, nor does she really have to care what he's doing. all it is is starting some sort of interaction with him.

Look behind you and then look at him with a puzzled look - what are you looking at? and then laugh. - don't know how that's bitchy but okay, if you say so. they already apparently look at each other a lot, and looking behind her and then teasing him doesn't give the impression that she's full of herself thinking he's staring at her because she's so pretty.

Talk about the recent weather? - Boring ... cliche ... vs a "hello" that she can't even say?

Current affairs going on in the world? - Boring to you maybe? Upfront how?

Conversation starters. The thread of conversation doesn't even have to go down that road anyway ... and to be honest with you, I've met many friends using some variation of the given examples. At least for me, it shows someone who's easygoing and light-hearted with a bit of teasing. BUT, I forget, this is Britain.

Sorry if my examples were too upfront, boring, bitchy and nosy to the OP and Converse.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 27
Go up to him and say "Hello?" "is it me you're looking for?" "Is..." well actually I forgot the rest of the song, but that should be enough.
Reply 28
Hey, way to be so anti-social! what are you doing on your phone? - He doesn't have to tell her what he's doing on his phone, nor does she really have to care what he's doing. all it is is starting some sort of interaction with him.

Which 'Hello' could do so much more easily and not seem intrusive.

Look behind you and then look at him with a puzzled look - what are you looking at? and then laugh. - don't know how that's bitchy but okay, if you say so. they already apparently look at each other a lot, and looking behind her and then teasing him doesn't give the impression that she's full of herself thinking he's staring at her because she's so pretty.

You clearly do know how it's bitchy as you pointed it out for yourself at the end.

Talk about the recent weather? - Boring ... cliche ... vs a "hello" that she can't even say?

If she can't say 'hello', she wont say that, will she..?

Current affairs going on in the world? - Boring to you maybe? Upfront how?

Not a conversation starter. Too random. How do you not see it? Also, I assume that she's relatively young, and most young people want fun. Delving into a conversation about current affairs without so much as a 'hello' or an introduction hardly gives the impression to most young people, that you are fun.
More that you're quite weird. Not a view you want the person you're you're interested in to hold. First impressions last etc. Saying 'hello', however, at least indicates that you're normal. Talking to them about current affairs at another time is fair enough. Not as your first vocal contact with them.

and to be honest with you, I've met many friends using some variation of the given examples.

I'll bet you have:rolleyes:

Sorry if my examples were too upfront, boring, bitchy and nosy to the OP and Converse.

Sarcastic apology. Typical female response:rolleyes:

Please don't quote me again.
He's looking at you. He's a pervert. Stay away from him.
Reply 30

I agree, those examples are just examples to get the brain thinking or w/e but there are ways to make those cliche or "bitchy" comments work in a conversation if you say them sarcastically or if you recognize them as cliche or bitchy or something and laugh about it
Reply 31
Thanks guys for all your replies xx
And i dont know what im going to do ! I guess i'll just have to join in when he's having a convo with the mutual friend !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending