The Student Room Group

Nottingham Medicine Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1100
Original post by Nottsmedics12
Apologies for that, we are all currently snowed under a bit with revision so haven't really had a chance to get stuff going with the group yet. The one created for us last year only really started filling up once everyone had their grades and places confirmed. We started it pretty early this year so those already with places could ask us any questions if they needed to. Our one last year had pretty much our entire course joined up by the beginning of the year and is still used as the main hub for everyone on the course so rest assured it will kick off eventually.

Hi. No problem, I wasn't criticising/complaining, I realise you guys must have a lot on your plates right now. Thanks for making the page; hopefully it will pick up later on like you said :smile:.
Nottingham doesn't require 4 AS subjects. I got an offer having only 3 AS subjects so it's fine. :smile: Of course having 4 is better obviously. :tongue:
Reply 1102
Chose Nottingham over Birmingham. Right choice though, huh? I kind of thought the social lives both looked pretty good so based it on the courses and it just seems like notts has a better course what with dissection/extra degree/QEH.etc. Really didn't get long to look at the campus at nottingham on my interview day but it was tipping it down with rain and looked pretty grey but it's probably nicer in good weather heh. Campus uni's seem better for me too.

I did like the busy feel of birmingham on the open day and their MedSoc seemed great but the pros of nottingham outweigh those things. Obviously there was more to my choice but it was a really hard decision and just wondering what others think?
Original post by Crushy
Chose Nottingham over Birmingham. Right choice though, huh? I kind of thought the social lives both looked pretty good so based it on the courses and it just seems like notts has a better course what with dissection/extra degree/QEH.etc. Really didn't get long to look at the campus at nottingham on my interview day but it was tipping it down with rain and looked pretty grey but it's probably nicer in good weather heh. Campus uni's seem better for me too.

I did like the busy feel of birmingham on the open day and their MedSoc seemed great but the pros of nottingham outweigh those things. Obviously there was more to my choice but it was a really hard decision and just wondering what others think?

Right choice :wink: The campus really is beautiful in the nice weather (and in all the snow we had a couple of months ago!). All the accommodation is really close together so there's no problem making friends in other halls.

Nottingham also has a very active Medsoc who put on events regularly all through the year, it has its own clubs for most sports and also there is the Medsoc card which gives you discounts and queue jumps for various places through the city.

Look forward to seeing you in September!
I made the same choice :smile: the Nottingham campus is so beautiful, you'll love it when you see it, the feel of it just seemed really really good - and like you said there are some advantages to the course at Nottingham too over B'ham too, with the research degree, dissection etc :smile:

Original post by Crushy

Reply 1105
Hope those who have offers this year can help. My son is keen to apply to Nottingham for next year but their policy of not accepting retakes for A2 worries me. When you were given offers did they specify no A2 retakes? Do they mean within the normal 2 year A level period or after that? It could be a waste of an application if my son has a bad exam next January and feels he should retake to ensure an A. What if you retook and you find out later you did not need to,ie you would have got an A anyway? I would be grateful for any help on this.
Reply 1106
Original post by lindag
Hope those who have offers this year can help. My son is keen to apply to Nottingham for next year but their policy of not accepting retakes for A2 worries me. When you were given offers did they specify no A2 retakes? Do they mean within the normal 2 year A level period or after that? It could be a waste of an application if my son has a bad exam next January and feels he should retake to ensure an A. What if you retook and you find out later you did not need to,ie you would have got an A anyway? I would be grateful for any help on this.

As far as I know they just want you to have taken your A levels in a 2 year period. By not accepting resits they mean that they don't accept students who have taken a further year to finish their A levels. It may be worth consulting the admissions tutors though.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by lindag

It's strange because nothing is said about this on the UCAS offer - but when I rang, they did say they don't accept any A2 module resits - including resitting Jan A2 papers in June - which I was really surprised to hear. (I thought 'no resits' meant 'no resits outside the normal 2 year period', but they literally mean no A2 module resits at all) They do allow AS module resits though, if I'm not mistaken it's 1 AS module resit per subject that they allow. Definitely worth ringing them to find out about the scenario in which you realise you would have got an A without retaking anyway - but incase they don't accept that either, I would suggest getting as high a UMS as possible at AS so the pressure is slightly less at A2 (by retaking AS units if necessary) - but before finalising which medical schools to apply to it's worth ringing and checking their policy details as it doesn't really say much about this on the websites! good luck to your son :smile:
Reply 1108
Original post by Pwhiskers
Right choice :wink: The campus really is beautiful in the nice weather (and in all the snow we had a couple of months ago!). All the accommodation is really close together so there's no problem making friends in other halls.

Nottingham also has a very active Medsoc who put on events regularly all through the year, it has its own clubs for most sports and also there is the Medsoc card which gives you discounts and queue jumps for various places through the city.

Look forward to seeing you in September!

Original post by giraffegiraffe
I made the same choice :smile: the Nottingham campus is so beautiful, you'll love it when you see it, the feel of it just seemed really really good - and like you said there are some advantages to the course at Nottingham too over B'ham too, with the research degree, dissection etc :smile:

Thanks for the reassurance! Looking forward to September :yep:
Reply 1109
I just got the email about sending in a photo for a uni card today. Did anyone else get it so recently?
And they've said to do it ASAP but does anyone know when we need to do it by?
Reply 1110
Original post by calexy
I just got the email about sending in a photo for a uni card today. Did anyone else get it so recently?

Yeah I got that email too. Do we just take it using a webcam or something? I'm not sure when they want it by though.
Original post by modini
Yeah I got that email too. Do we just take it using a webcam or something? I'm not sure when they want it by though.

Yeah I think so, I know it says passport-style but as long as it's just of our face with a fairly sedate background it should be fine!
Reply 1112
Original post by giraffegiraffe
Yeah I think so, I know it says passport-style but as long as it's just of our face with a fairly sedate background it should be fine!

Ah ok. I should probably do that soonish.
Original post by lindag

If its any help I retook pretty much all of my modules in the summer of my final year of sixth form before applying. I think (when I was applying at least) retakes, as long as they were done before leaving school within the 2 year period, aren't a problem.
Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by calexy

As long as its in a few weeks before term starts then it should be fine. The picture you use gets put on your student card and you're pretty much stuck with it as far as I know so make sure its a half decent one :smile:
x
Reply 1115
Thanks for all the useful replies. :smile:
What actually is the resit policy I know it says you're only allowed to resit each subject once but will you be at a disadvantage if you resit? Also what if you hold an offer and resit a subject from A2 january exams in june that you've already done a resit in will they take away your offer?
Hey guys! Im an international student! just wondering when the university would provide us with the date for the freshers week/ start of the term? I need to books tickets and stuff so any help will be greatly appreciated (:
Reply 1118
Original post by lovelifelivelife
Hey guys! Im an international student! just wondering when the university would provide us with the date for the freshers week/ start of the term? I need to books tickets and stuff so any help will be greatly appreciated (:

Freshers is normally the end of September. I think this year it is the 24th - 30th. However international students are normally contacted earlier and are invited to arrive a week early (21st) for an international week. Gives you time to get rid of the jet lag and make some friends who are also international before the mob that is 8000 freshers arrives. They should contact you within the next few weeks about term dates however the website has them clearly displayed there if you want to know asap.
Original post by Hippokrates
What actually is the resit policy I know it says you're only allowed to resit each subject once but will you be at a disadvantage if you resit? Also what if you hold an offer and resit a subject from A2 january exams in june that you've already done a resit in will they take away your offer?

I called the medical office just to confirm and they DO NOT allow any A2 module resits so, if you did it in Jan you can't retake it in June. I asked how they would know if you did and they said they weren't really sure, however, the expect you to tell them if you have retaken any A2 modules (doctors are ment to be honest) as it violates their policy. They then said that if you didn't tell them and resat and they found out at a later date they could chuck you off the course as you didn't meet their entry requirements - scary stuff!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending