The Student Room Group

What A-levels are best for going on to a Law Degree?

Hey guys, I've recently decided that I'm going to do A-levels and after that go on to do a law degree. Though I'm not too sure which would be best to get me into university.

Obvisouly Law at A-level is required, but I'm not sure of the others to pick. Any help is much appriciated :smile:
Reply 1
Law at A-Level is definitely not required, in fact it's not even recommended and considered "less suitable" as an A-Level by top universities. Your best bet is a mix of humanities/arts and sciences. Particularly good subjects are History, English Literature and Maths.
Law at A Level is NOT required at all. Some Universities even prefer it if you haven't studied Law previously.
I would recommend History, English Literature, and then probably a science. Stay clear of 'soft' subjects such as ICT or Art. :-)

ps. I did Law, English Lang/Lit and Psychology and I'm going on to study Law, but if I knew I wanted to study Law before I picked my A Levels, I would have done Law, English Lit and History :-)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Thanks for the replies, good insight into it. @dr.phalange. Did you find that A level law helped you when you got to uni?

Also would the AQA Baccalaureate be usefull, with the General Studdies build in, the A levels I was thinking about doing with that are Law, English Lit and possibly Psycology
Reply 4
Original post by Kets2403
Hey guys, I've recently decided that I'm going to do A-levels and after that go on to do a law degree. Though I'm not too sure which would be best to get me into university.

Obvisouly Law at A-level is required, but I'm not sure of the others to pick. Any help is much appriciated :smile:

No, most of them don't like A-level law and prefer that you don't do it although law teachers always say it will be helpful.

Do at least 1 essay subject (history, politics, English lit), and something like maths or economics to show your problem-solving skills.
Law, English Lit & Psychology sounds like a good plan but I would try to get something more mathsy in there as it is a marketable subject, but its up to you really, do subjects that show universities your strengths.
Reply 5
Law isn't required :smile:

I'm going on to do a degree in law next year and I took English lit/Lang combined, history and law :smile: although I would have chosen something different to law if I had the chance due to unis not really accepting it.
Reply 6
Original post by Tfaska
No, most of them don't like A-level law and prefer that you don't do it although law teachers always say it will be helpful.

Original post by dr.phalange
Law at A Level is NOT required at all. Some Universities even prefer it if you haven't studied Law previously.
I would recommend History, English Literature, and then probably a science. Stay clear of 'soft' subjects such as ICT or Art. :-)

Original post by elenii
Law at A-Level is definitely not required, in fact it's not even recommended and considered "less suitable" as an A-Level by top universities. Your best bet is a mix of humanities/arts and sciences. Particularly good subjects are History, English Literature and Maths.

Here.

OP, here's my take on the A Level:

Tortious

I think that the A Level is useful for two reasons:

It's been said many times that the worst thing you can do is to go to university to study law without knowing it's for you - doing an A Level over two years gives you an indication as to whether or not it's something you're interested in

It gives you a basic level of knowledge that, in my experience, is helpful to give you a bit of a head start when you're trying to find your feet in a new environment

The official policy is that the A Level "offers no particular advantage or disadvantage" to your application; I interpret this as meaning that the university won't favour people with it. That's not the same as the subject not giving you an advantage when it comes to reading law at university.

As part of the AS, I looked at the role of lay people and legal professionals within the legal system and learned about the court structure and appeal routes, which is useful when you're reading a case to know whether or not there's a chance that the decision was reversed by a higher court (the name "Court of Appeal" suggests to a layman that it's the highest court in the land, which isn't the case!). I also did a little bit of tort law (negligence) and some criminal (non-fatal offences); admittedly this wasn't a lot and was pretty superficial but it did help to whet my appetite for the A2.

For the A2, centres offer different subjects, with there being options in Tort, Human Rights, Contract and Criminal to name but a few. I did Criminal and therefore looked at homicide, non-fatal offences (in more depth), property offences, defences and a little bit of jurisprudence. The jurisprudence hasn't really been that useful yet, but contrary to the myth that "it only gives you a two-week advantage", I think the A Level - if taught well - gives you a good grounding. Of the eight supervisions I've had this year, I'd already covered the work for about five of them at A2 (although naturally more reading was needed to refresh my memory and deepen my understanding). I've only come across one fundamental area of contention with my supervisor from my existing A Level knowledge over the course of my study, which even then is an area over which academics are divided, whereas my peers still had to get to grips with the basic concepts. Becoming familiar with the language is good too - it just makes you feel more at ease.

I think that part of the problem is that with Law being a relatively new A Level, universities are still wary of it to an extent since the teaching is so variable. I actually started the AS as part of an evening class in Year 11 and the teaching was appalling - I got an E in my first exam (predicted an A) and an A and C in my others (the A was a sheer miracle because that was an essay paper; the C was on the substantive law that we hadn't really been taught). I then convinced my sixth form to allow me to self-teach a resit and take up the A2 in my first year, and they couldn't have been more helpful. Of the five papers I resat there, I got 100% on all of them thanks to their help. It just goes to show that there must be some value in the A Level, and I'd hope that my UMS marks would act as a testament to my understanding! :p:

In short, it's fine as a fourth.
Reply 7
Original post by Tortious
Here.

OP, here's my take on the A Level:

In short, it's fine as a fourth.

Great post, you've looked at it from a much more practical angle but sadly I have no more +reps today :tongue:
History is a definite. You pick up analytical, debating and source interpretation skills necessary in a Law career :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Tfaska
Great post, you've looked at it from a much more practical angle but sadly I have no more +reps today :tongue:

Don't worry about it - I've made this point so many times on TSR that I now have that post saved as a bookmark! :wink:
I would recommend history and english lit as essay subjects are higlhy regarded as well as useful for lawyers. I would also say Maths or a science subject as they are seen as strong subjects, will add some diversity to your options and will look good on applications. You could take law as a fourth but people on here arn`t recommended it so how about something else likegeography?

Quick Reply

Latest