The Student Room Group

St. Andrews Medical School Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Original post by LHC
Ahhhh congratulations :biggrin: i'm so jealous :tongue: well I was unaware that anything gets updated on track for interview. I thought it only updated if you got an offer or rejected. Don't worry about it though, the main thing is you got an interview :biggrin:

Also, just out of curiosity, what was your ukcat :smile:?

Thank you :smile: I went to the open day and they said they interview in a completely random order, so don't worry about it. To be honest I'm now panicking - it's less than 4 weeks away!!! :O

And my UKCAT average was 690 (I wrote my total 2760 on my UCAS form)
Reply 221
Congrats on the interview! Good luck!
Px
Original post by JFaithx
OMG!! :biggrin: Just came home from school to an email inviting me to an interview at St Andrews on the 30th November!! :O

I've replied to the email but there's nothing updated on my track - I thought that it usually updated with the word "interview" under the decisions column?? Am I getting that wrong??

Woo well done on the interview! :biggrin: AFAIK track doesn't get updated with interviews, only their final decision :smile:
Reply 223
Just got notification of my interview today, it will be on the 30th of November!
Im so Excited!!! What should I wear and does anyone have any good tips? Is anyone else going on the same day?
Original post by Nick526
Just got notification of my interview today, it will be on the 30th of November!
Im so Excited!!! What should I wear and does anyone have any good tips? Is anyone else going on the same day?

Congrats :smile: Love how your first question is "what should I wear?" :rolleyes: (It was mine too last year lol)
Reply 225
Original post by Nick526

That was my first question! Im a girl (does it say that anywhere?) and I want to wear a dress as I never normally wear trousers and I dont feel comfortable in them, obviously a smart/work like dress, but would that be ok?
My interview is the week before (23rd) and I'm trying so hard to prepare!
Reply 226
I wore a dress last year and it worked fine!
Main tip for interview is really think about the why St Andrews, and understand the difference in the course to the other unis. The fact we all do a Bsc Hons, then move on to a different uni for clinicals. Read up on the course content and structure! And of course they are very proud of the dissection that they offer!
Any more specific questions let me know and will try to answer them!
Px
Reply 227
I'm a guy and I don't know if I should look smart or just wear normal clothes. I think I will wear a shirt but shirt and tie or only shirt? First impressions are important!!! :L
Original post by Nick526
I'm a guy and I don't know if I should look smart or just wear normal clothes. I think I will wear a shirt but shirt and tie or only shirt? First impressions are important!!! :L

if by normal clothes you mean jeans then definitely not D:
but go with what your comfortable with. if suits aren't your thing, a shirt and trousers is fine
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 229
Smart trousers and shirt. Tie is up to you. Some people go all out, turning up in full suits complete with waistcoats! That is a wee tad on the extreme side!!
Reply 230
Original post by JFaithx
Thank you :smile: I went to the open day and they said they interview in a completely random order, so don't worry about it. To be honest I'm now panicking - it's less than 4 weeks away!!! :O

And my UKCAT average was 690 (I wrote my total 2760 on my UCAS form)

ah did they :smile:? that's ok then :biggrin: i'm just worried because i have a total score of 2490/ 623 which is just above average so i might not make the interview cut :frown: well, get researching/preparing :biggrin: and good luck :smile:!!
Reply 231
Original post by Quackers93
St. Andrews are being weird this year cause some people havn't heard anything, some have had acknowledgements, some have acknowledgement and interview, and then some have no acknowledgement but do have an interview :s-smilie: Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it :s-smilie:

I hope they send out a postcard this year, I absolutely loved that last year1 Such a nice personal touch :smile:

I just hope we get that delightful merry christmas email again :tongue:
Reply 232
Original post by LHC
ah did they :smile:? that's ok then :biggrin: i'm just worried because i have a total score of 2490/ 623 which is just above average so i might not make the interview cut :frown: well, get researching/preparing :biggrin: and good luck :smile:!!

Hey :smile: we got the same ukcat score, I really hope we make the interview cut off.
Original post by baztech
I just hope we get that delightful merry christmas email again :tongue:

I don't remember a St.A one from last year... maybe I was missed off the christmas card/email list? D: I remember getting an E-card type email off Aberdeen that didn't work lol

Fingers crossed I make the cut this year! :biggrin:
Reply 234
Original post by Kevlar R
Hey :smile: we got the same ukcat score, I really hope we make the interview cut off.

Yes same :smile: it says the cut off is between 2400-2500 each year so hopefully we'll just make it :smile:
i don't remember any such christmas email from st andrews last year! how rude.
i did however get two from aberdeen, i suppose that makes up for it
Reply 236
Original post by LHC
Yes same :smile: it says the cut off is between 2400-2500 each year so hopefully we'll just make it :smile:

Last year there were many people with 625 on they UKCAT and they got an interview. there were very few with scores under 625 - i think someone with 590 got an interview as well. The thing is, the interview counts for very little actually. I was talking to one of the professors few days ago and they said they keep interviews just to see how the person looks like. The main question they ask themselves is "Does this person look like a doctor and could I trust this person as a doctor?". They also have a good laugh when people write big PSs, but in reality they are nothing like what they've said in the PS... so I hope no one invented big incredible stories in their PS :wink:)

The main thing that counts is the rest... grades, ukcat etc. So if you do get an interview, that is not going to change much. I think your place in the list will be pretty much the same = unless loads of people mess up so badly i.e. forget to talk during the interview. So even though you make it to the interview, you may not get an offer. And this is what happened last year. Most of the people with ukcat scores of under 640 got a rejection even tough, when asking for feedback, they were told that their interviews got top grades. So don't rely on your interview only, because the interview is not going to change much... the best you could do is hope that others do really bad so you can get it :P Well, I'm joking :biggrin: ... Or am I?
Reply 237
I say it again.. My academics were not great, my UKCAT was 635.. but I managed to get a place. So anything is possible!
Reply 238
Original post by teafil
Last year there were many people with 625 on they UKCAT and they got an interview. there were very few with scores under 625 - i think someone with 590 got an interview as well. The thing is, the interview counts for very little actually. I was talking to one of the professors few days ago and they said they keep interviews just to see how the person looks like. The main question they ask themselves is "Does this person look like a doctor and could I trust this person as a doctor?". They also have a good laugh when people write big PSs, but in reality they are nothing like what they've said in the PS... so I hope no one invented big incredible stories in their PS :wink:)

The main thing that counts is the rest... grades, ukcat etc. So if you do get an interview, that is not going to change much. I think your place in the list will be pretty much the same = unless loads of people mess up so badly i.e. forget to talk during the interview. So even though you make it to the interview, you may not get an offer. And this is what happened last year. Most of the people with ukcat scores of under 640 got a rejection even tough, when asking for feedback, they were told that their interviews got top grades. So don't rely on your interview only, because the interview is not going to change much... the best you could do is hope that others do really bad so you can get it :P Well, I'm joking :biggrin: ... Or am I?

Haha, I think you're thinking of me last year, I got an interview with a ukcat of 580 :tongue: So for anyone else, don't worry if you're ukcat isn't great, you can still get an interview. Although I don't know how I got past the cutoff though..... Hopefully get one this year with 692.5 and more work experience, no word yet though. Is the interview not about 20% of the weighting for selection though? One of my friends who also applied last year had perfect grades etc. and would have scored high in most areas (I think she got into edinburgh), but didn't get an offer from st andrew's, the only reason i can think of would be the interview
Reply 239
Original post by polldoll
I say it again.. My academics were not great, my UKCAT was 635.. but I managed to get a place. So anything is possible!

was that for the grad or undergrad course?
:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending