The Student Room Group

riots are a result of capitalism

Scroll to see replies

No, it's mindless violence for the sake of mindless violence. The people doing this are traitors to their communities.
Reply 21
Original post by michaelhaych
You're correct, he cannot create his own computer but he chooses to own one, doesn't he? A computer is not a necessity.
He does not need a computer, many people don't have a computer and get by perfectly fine.

He chose to go out and buy something that is produced using a Capitalist system, a system which exploits others, a system which he is condoning by buying its products, and he uses it to criticise Capitalism. That is a highly flawed and fallacious approach. Hence my original point.

This is not a black and white issue, like i said the current system has its part in these disturbances and anyone is allowed to criticise and analyze. If he was a businessmen who imports from China and makes a conscious decision to exploit workers he would be in a hypocritical position depending on what he was addressing. In this case OP is talking about a lack of jobs and other factors that have contributed to this looting.

Also, if he is a student a computer is a nessesity, i for one wouldn't of been able to do any of my work without one and some projects required me to hand in work digitally along with many others.
Original post by cid
have to disagree with you there, they are merely opportunistic thiefs as highlighted

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-14460554

this is just violence and crime because they think they can get away with it.

You can't really extrapolate much from that.
Reply 23
The mind baffles at people who attack the state that generously supports them with benefits and a world-class public healthcare system.
No it isn't, the rioters don't have a political agenda. They are not exactly trying to overthrow capitalism or they would be attacking banks and government buildings. This is purely selfish.
Reply 25
No, it's because of a lack of discipline.
as a number of people have already mentioned, imo it is definitely not an ideological attack on capitalism.

just mindless vandals.
Reply 27
Original post by Rebellious-Steve
You can't really extrapolate much from that.

except it is not as the OP said, those with no future.

to quote the OP
these people are unemployed people without prospects

to quote the link
Among them were a graphic designer, college students, a youth worker, a university graduate and a man signed up to join the army.

LAWYERED !!!
Its about haters hating
More left wing tripe. First Ken Livingstone, then Harriet Harman, now this? :facepalm:
Reply 30
Original post by PendulumBoB
Oh really I always thought that the silly people who live in Switzerland or Singapore or Hong Kong, were leading better lives than us.

You have serious issues if you think Switzerland, Singapore or Hong Kong runs a communist system.
Reply 31
Original post by jimtrix
captalism works without debt and over population governments and people borrowed for years this gave us conditions to increase our population and now that we can't borrow anymore we simply don't have enough jobs

No, no it doesnt.
Capitalism is the right of ownership.
Commuism (and I generalise here) states that the land, and everything in it belongs to the state, so therefore it should be shared out equally amongst the members of the state. Theoretically under that rule a Doctor or brain surgeon will get paid as much as a shelf stacker. Because there are both equal in the eyes of the state.

Capitalism is where somebody gets paid as much as the market is willing to pay them. Obviously this leads to a number of nasty things like monopolisation of the market and under pure capitalism the poor generally starve because nobody is willing to pay them. So the government steps in, taxes the rich and gives some of the money to the poor. This isn't so much capitalism but our system is still 90% capitalistic so thats what we call it.

If we where purely capitalistic the government wouldn't need to borrow because it wouldnt need to pay for benefits, NHS, social security etc.
Original post by jimtrix
these people are unemployed people without prospects why? because there are only x amount of jobs in the economy and these jobs will go the best candidates. You can say "well they should work harder" but if they worked harder and got jobs it would be at the expense of someone else and then they would simply be the ones rioting

they are just a symptom of capitalism for years in the west we have been nice and successful because we have just been able to borrow money and spend it to create jobs well now capitalism is falling apart and the poor people without prospects are using it as an opportunity to take free stuff

Can you please explain how capitalism has resulted in fewer jobs?
Original post by Usn1
You have serious issues if you think Switzerland, Singapore or Hong Kong runs a communist system.

That was my point these are successful capitalist countries.
Reply 34
Original post by PaulMcCartney

capitalism results in steady amount of jobs so say there is a community of 50 people capitalism will provide 45 jobs. What happens to the other 5?
Reply 35
Original post by PaulMcCartney

What were the unemployment figures in the 70s? What were they by the end of the 80s?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending