Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Barts and The London Applicants 2012

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
  • View Poll Results: UCAS Tariff for Barts and The London applicants 2012.
    <410
    5.59%
    410 (AAAb)
    7.98%
    420 (AAAaor equiv)
    6.38%
    440 (AAAC or equiv)
    3.99%
    460 (AAAB / A*A*AAa or equiv)
    5.85%
    480 (AAAA / A*A*A*a or equiv)
    6.12%
    500 (A*AAA) or equiv
    7.71%
    520 (A*A*AA or equiv)
    9.84%
    540 (A*A*A*A or equiv)
    9.84%
    560 (A*A*A*A* or equiv) or higher.
    36.70%

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've currently been rejected from 3 universities and barts and london is my only hope now. I know it's easy to tell others to withdraw their application but if I was in a luckier position I'd try and get the maximum number of offers as I can.

Does anyone know when Barts will be giving out their offers?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeamusHeaney)
    I've currently been rejected from 3 universities and barts and london is my only hope now. I know it's easy to tell others to withdraw their application but if I was in a luckier position I'd try and get the maximum number of offers as I can.

Kudos to you mate

It's uncertain at the moment, but it seems to be leaning towards early March. No one knows a specific date.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingcoltzan)
    Kudos to you mate

It's uncertain at the moment, but it seems to be leaning towards early March. No one knows a specific date.
    oh not too far then.
    gonna be some emosh few days
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    oh not too far then.
    gonna be some emosh few days
    Best of luck to you I sincerely hope you get an offer!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Best of luck to you I sincerely hope you get an offer!
    Thanks I had been rejected from 3 universities since december and I had my barts interview in the same month.

You have no idea how hard it has been waiting.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks I had been rejected from 3 universities since december and I had my barts interview in the same month.

You have no idea how hard it has been waiting.
    It does put it into context how "hard" it has been for me waiting with offers already when your sitting their with it as your last hope.

Best of luck once again, and let me know the outcome
    • 73 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)
    Having read through this stage of the debate (I was going to chip in) I've decided I'd be better off smashing my face against my keyboard as some people in here seem to be impervious to logical reasoning. Ergo, I won't reply for a while as I now need to go find something to stem my bleeding nose.
    I agree, it's pretty logical so confused really.

(Original post by Tripo)
    After reading this debate, I've come to some sound conclusions; prince_of_arabia; why haven't you withdrawn from barts if your planning to and have an offer from UCL medicine-man, viceversa; agree with you and well argued. Kingscoltzan; i think your a bit of a N*b tbh, i think its fairly obvious your planning to go to KCL yet you somehow want to satisfy your own ego and want to hear what barts say.
    He is a bit of a noob, he always seems to do this.

Fully agree!!! People have no right to question our decisions and call us selfish. We have worked just as hard as you have, and don't need people on TSR telling us to withdraw our applications or not.
    You are bringing up something that was already sorted out before? This is about a different issue you brought up, not about that. If you're still confused about that read back at my replies. Also a disclaimer I've said before: no one's telling you to withdraw. My issue wasn't about making people withdraw so please get that clear in your head.

I thought you 'real' peace after the neg was..real? :facepalm2:

I'm still confused as to why you keep doing this tbh but ah well..

Still a little selfish to me, but like I said, it's my opinion. Still, no one's forcing anyone into anything - I simply mentioned why I felt people did it.

Hope you get an offer from BL btw. Rejections suck :console:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Okay guys, lets move the topic away from this.
    Instead lets talk about how awesome it is that dissection is now compulsory, especially when many other universities are no longer doing it.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tripo)
    Okay guys, lets move the topic away from this.
    Instead lets talk about how awesome it Ais that dissection is now compulsory, especially when many other universities are no longer doing it.
    Agreed! Why wouldn't unis do dissection? Funds?
    • 73 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tripo)
    Okay guys, lets move the topic away from this. Instead lets talk about how awesome it is that dissection is now compulsory, especially when many other universities are no longer doing it.
    I agree. It's getting boring now. :yawn:

I know! I love that it is a feature now soo much :daydreaming:
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    When I applied I had my first offer in December, second in February and last one in March. I personally didn't withdraw even though the last one was the same offer as my insurance.

They aren't going to give out more offers because X person has withdrawn. There is the every so slight positive that if you fail your offer you have one more university to grovel to. There is literally no positive to withdrawing. In the end I had an AAA firm and an AAB insurance. Had my firm and insurance offer been the same I'd still have held out as if I'd got AAB I'd have had two universities to have the slim chance of groveling to. A slim chance is better than no chance.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Agreed! Why wouldn't unis do dissection? Funds?
    Im intrigued myself, apparently theres just not enough samples and its a bit of a hassle preparing stuff, literally i think very few unis do it now. Its absolutely brilliant that barts does it now full on as i think its such a brilliant way of learning anatomy, i had a friend who specifically went to birmingham because they have one of the largest dissecting theatres and the year he went they stopped doing it, he was MEGA pissed. If any current barts students can tell us how many per cadaver?
    • 73 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)
    When I applied I had my first offer in December, second in February and last one in March. I personally didn't withdraw even though the last one was the same offer as my insurance.They aren't going to give out more offers because X person has withdrawn. There is the every so slight positive that if you fail your offer you have one more university to grovel to. There is literally no positive to withdrawing. In the end I had an AAA firm and an AAB insurance. Had my firm and insurance offer been the same I'd still have held out as if I'd got AAB I'd have had two universities to have the slim chance of groveling to. A slim chance is better than no chance.
    Fair enough, if what you're saying is true about no advantage.
    • 73 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ViceVersa)
    I know! I love that it is a feature now soo much :daydreaming:
    It always amuses me to see medicine/life sciences pre-freshers getting all excited over anatomy (and yes, I was exactly the same) and usually after the second practical half of the class realise they actually hate the subject. Aside from the amusing mnemonics you can construct for remembering various things, anatomy really isn't that fascinating imho.

Though having said that, anything beats the histology lab and the associated spotter tests. ****s.
    • 73 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    It always amuses me to see medicine/life sciences pre-freshers getting all excited over anatomy (and yes, I was exactly the same) and usually after the second practical half of the class realise they actually hate the subject. Aside from the amusing mnemonics you can construct for remembering various things, anatomy really isn't that fascinating imho. Though having said that, anything beats the histology lab and the associated spotter tests. ****s.
    You were exactly the same I dunno really, one more thing to be excited about I guess. I'd just like to know I got the chance to do it, even if I hated it after. I've always not liked the idea of anatomy tbf, nor have I thought it would be largely fascinating, so I am aware of this and indeed it's a strong possibility I'll hate it anyway. I'd just like to try dissection, and give anatomy a go is all :dontknow: I hate having regrets.

I hate that idea even more :sigh:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prince_of_Arabia)
    I will try and explain to you why it is unfair. Bare in mind, I also love Barts, but I am not going to try and defend an unfair admissions system (even though the medical school is great)

Firsly, the 'great' UCAS tariff system. Well, firstly, the ucas tariff itself is stupidly selective and unfair. By proxy, to base an admissions system, on an unfair points system clearly makes the system arbitrary.

For example, person X may have excelled in sport to a national/regional standard and achieved his gold duke of edinburgh or excelled in a hobby like debating (winning an competition Oxford Union for example). How many points does person X get for all this??? A total of 0 points.

On the other hand, person Y may have completed some simple sports leadership award that takes 2 months and gained more points than person X. Why should the system actively give an advantage to those who do music compared to sport or one qualification ahead of another? It takes longer to achieve a national standard in sport than it does to gain your grade 6 in music.

In addittion, it centres the grade predictions in selecting for interviews. As you may know some schools do not predict A*'s or some may be especially generous in predicting them. This disparity only makes it unfair for some students.

I myself managed to get an interview so I am not speaking from experience. However, you cannot deny that some aspects of this system is in need of reform.

In my opinion, a system that looks at EVERYTHING to decide who is interviewed is far better. For instance at UCL, they look at your GCSE's, AS grades, Personal Statement, Reference etc so that you cannot be discarded on one weakness in your application. Everyone who is then interviewed has a reserved place- they just have to prove to the interviewers that they deserve it. Barts on the other hand bases interviews pretty much on a tariff system that in itself ignores a great variety of activities.

I love Barts and it is a great university- a privelege for anyone to go to- but come on dude- the tariff system is grossly unfair.
    Another example of how the tariff system is unfair:

A levels: Biology (A), Chem (B), Maths (B), GS (A) AS level: Physics (A)

Tot = 500 points

A levels: Biology (A*), Chem (A*), Maths(A*) AS level: Physics (A)

Tot = 480 points

Who is the student with the most potential?

It looks like no applicants with 3 A levels and 1 AS has been offered an interviewed - this does seem unfair.

Ucas themselves seem unhappy with the system - see below:

UCAS: Phasing out tariff points
    Posted on 10 February 2012 by Latest News
    From THE:

Tariff points should be phased out by the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service, a Ucas review unveiled on 9 February recommends.

It calls for their “gradual withdrawal” when setting entry requirements and making offers.

Instead, it proposes, all higher education offers should be grade-based.

Many universities have already stopped using the Ucas tariff-point system, which compares A levels with about 1,400 level-3 qualifications, including the IB.

A consultation is under way until 16 April, with a decision on the plans expected in June.

UCAS Announcement (with a link to consultation document)
    http://www.ucas.com/documents/qirevi...on_english.pdf
    • 73 followers

ReputationRep:
    You were exactly the same I dunno really, one more thing to be excited about I guess. I'd just like to know I got the chance to do it, even if I hated it after. I've always not liked the idea of anatomy tbf, nor have I thought it would be largely fascinating, so I am aware of this and indeed it's a strong possibility I'll hate it anyway. I'd just like to try dissection is all :dontknow: I hate having regrets.

I hate that idea even more :sigh:
    Sorry...I didn't mean to come across as dismissive to your enthusiasm :p: I was making a general comment inspired by your post rather than meaning to criticise you. Certainly the provision of dissection is exciting and people have been saying for many years that anatomy teaching at BL isn't as good as elsewhere, so maybe this will help. We had prosections at any rate, but I still found anatomy to be quite dry.

(But trust me, you'll never, ever be enthusiastic for histology).
    • 73 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    Sorry...I didn't mean to come across as dismissive to your enthusiasm :p: I was making a general comment inspired by your post rather than meaning to criticise you. Certainly the provision of dissection is exciting and people have been saying for many years that anatomy teaching at BL isn't as good as elsewhere, so maybe this will help. We had prosections at any rate, but I still found anatomy to be quite dry.

(But trust me, you'll never, ever be enthusiastic for histology).
    Sorry, it may be me reading it in that way I'm prepping for an interview at the moment so trying to practice my 'sticking up for myself' skill if criticised, or the 'not backing down' one (hence the debating here, which isn't like me as I just keep quiet over shyness or fear :teehee:) but I was a little aware your comment was general, but just felt like letting you know my train of though is all

I hope you're right and dissection does help BL's anatomy teaching :yep:

How did you even help yourself learn all the names? Must be so dry and voluminous :pinch:

I know, I'm definitely not looking forward to it :sad:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone else have an interview tomorrow? This is possibly my only interview(Ive given up hope on ucl) so very nervous..
    Can i ask has anyone who has had a Barts interview do barts employ the stratagy of one person looking very disinterested to see how you cope with pressure?
    • 73 followers

ReputationRep:
    How did you even help yourself learn all the names? Must be so dry and voluminous :pinch:
    I find mnemonic devices to be very useful. There are some famous ones which generations of students have used e.g. two zulus buggered my cat for branches of the facial nerve. I also make up my own ones. They all tend to revolve around sex and swear words so that should tell you what's on most students' minds. Of course, the profs may supply you with wholesome PC ones, but I find them less easy to remember

There is (and this is not just about anatomy, it's a general comment about uni education) a healthy amount of cramming involved too, in the nights leading up to the exam which means that roughly two days after you've sat the exam you've forgotten most of what you know, or at least the nitty gritty little details. However, this may not be the case as the MBBS curriculum is different to a life sciences BSc.

I know, I'm definitely not looking forward to it :sad:
    The histology? It is quite difficult at first but you do definitely get better the more samples you view. And of course you learn to make educated guesses. A combination of these methods gained me a distinction in my last histology exam and I'm a total dunce when it comes to spotters :dunce:

Don't stress and good luck with your interview!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 29, 2012
New on TSR

Submitting your UCAS application

How long did it take for yours to be processed?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.