Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Barts and The London Applicants 2012

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
Interview Discussion 30-01-2014
  • View Poll Results: UCAS Tariff for Barts and The London applicants 2012.
    <410
    5.59%
    410 (AAAb)
    7.98%
    420 (AAAaor equiv)
    6.38%
    440 (AAAC or equiv)
    3.99%
    460 (AAAB / A*A*AAa or equiv)
    5.85%
    480 (AAAA / A*A*A*a or equiv)
    6.12%
    500 (A*AAA) or equiv
    7.71%
    520 (A*A*AA or equiv)
    9.84%
    540 (A*A*A*A or equiv)
    9.84%
    560 (A*A*A*A* or equiv) or higher.
    36.70%

• 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rohitbd)
    I heard Dawson is far from lectures at the open day, about a 40 min walk. What time does lectures start for first years?
    He told me that Pooley house is the best albeit expensive, but I'm wondering if there are any medics at Pooley house or is it mainly QM students, don't want to miss out on the whole Barts student experience.
    My advice does not change, take Dawson.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)
    Yeah everyone tubes and the tube&bus pass is £20 more than the bus only one a month iirc.

(Original post by digitalis)
    My advice does not change, take Dawson.
    Thanks, and how much does it cost for the tube, about £90ish a month or more?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well I was gonna go for Floyer but Dawson looks really nice too
    • 104 followers

ReputationRep:
    I heard Dawson is far from lectures at the open day, about a 40 min walk. What time does lectures start for first years?
    He told me that Pooley house is the best albeit expensive, but I'm wondering if there are any medics at Pooley house or is it mainly QM students, don't want to miss out on the whole Barts student experience.
    Dawson is a 35 minute walk, lectures start at 9am on monday, 11am on tuesday, wednesday and friday, thursday varies depending if you have MedSoc or not. Also half the year has PBL at 9am on tuesday and friday, whilst the others have it at 3pm.

Mile End is rubbish, full of quimmers. Have a mate at Mile End and he's constantly hanging out here at Dawson for the banter etc.

Dawson's the best, and 35mins is not far to get to lectures
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I called barts up to find out whether I would be able to get accommodation as I live within the M25, but they said it would be highly unlikely.
    I was wondering if any current students who are in student accommodation live within the M25?
    • 104 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by could.be.lupus)
    I called barts up to find out whether I would be able to get accommodation as I live within the M25, but they said it would be highly unlikely.
    I was wondering if any current students who are in student accommodation live within the M25?
    Yeah, one of my neighbours lives within the M25.

Just don't count on getting accommodation :erm:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Penguinsaysquack)
    Yeah, one of my neighbours lives within the M25.

Just don't count on getting accommodation :erm:
    oh
    :colonhash:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Is it worth applying for the intercollegiate halls just in case I don't get accommodation at barts? Although I live within the M25, it takes around 1.5 hours to reach whitechapel, so I would prefer to live in London.

Thanks
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Dawson is a 35 minute walk, lectures start at 9am on monday, 11am on tuesday, wednesday and friday, thursday varies depending if you have MedSoc or not. Also half the year has PBL at 9am on tuesday and friday, whilst the others have it at 3pm.

Mile End is rubbish, full of quimmers. Have a mate at Mile End and he's constantly hanging out here at Dawson for the banter etc.

Thanks and PRSOM, I don't really mind the 35min walk/tube as long as there are people to do it with and I'm not alone.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks and PRSOM, I don't really mind the 35min walk/tube as long as there are people to do it with and I'm not alone.
    You're a big boy, you'll be OK...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

Have you found that social life varies from Floyer house to Dawson? I am probably going to apply for one of these and just wanted to know if there are many major differences of student life/type of people at one hall compared to the other in your opinion apart from the quality of the building itself? Cheres
    • 104 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaman)
    Have you found that social life varies from Floyer house to Dawson? I am probably going to apply for one of these and just wanted to know if there are many major differences of student life/type of people at one hall compared to the other in your opinion apart from the quality of the building itself? Cheres
    How would I know?

Noone lives at both so can't compare (well no freshers live at both)
    Dawson social life is great, can't complain. Love my flatmates and people on other floors too.

Don't really know what goes on at Floyer.. so it can't be as good since there are no epic stories about it
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Dawson and Floyer both have clinical students and a few postgrads as well. Difference is that in Dawson, the clinical students (finalists) are in a separate wing.

Still doesn't stop a few knobs having a freakin' house party at 5AM the week before finals
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    In terms of freshers, Floyer seems to be incredibly close knit. They all go out things together as an entire group of freshers, rather than many groups ala Dawson. Which is nice I suppose.

On the other hand, I would always pick Dawson. Amazing group of people and by far the best area of any medical school halls that I've heard of.

The green outside is amazing to have in central London! I have never regretted picking Dawson. When I was a pre-fresher I was really confused, as they don't show you Dawson at the open days and I was very close to picking Mile End, but as PSQ says, so many people regret not picking Dawson.

Have fun!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cinnamonITFC)
    In terms of freshers, Floyer seems to be incredibly close knit. They all go out things together as an entire group of freshers, rather than many groups ala Dawson. Which is nice I suppose.

On the other hand, I would always pick Dawson. Amazing group of people and by far the best area of any medical school halls that I've heard of.

The green outside is amazing to have in central London! I have never regretted picking Dawson. When I was a pre-fresher I was really confused, as they don't show you Dawson at the open days and I was very close to picking Mile End, but as PSQ says, so many people regret not picking Dawson.

Have fun!
    How are the facilities in Dawson? Like is the building and equipments maintained properly etc? And how close is the nearest supermarket
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MuffinMonster)
    How are the facilities in Dawson? Like is the building and equipments maintained properly etc? And how close is the nearest supermarket
    That is one of the very important factors! Shopping bag hands and aching shoulders is not fun. But in london there should always be one fairly near?? (i hope...)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilo891)
    That is one of the very important factors! Shopping bag hands and aching shoulders is not fun. But in london there should always be one fairly near?? (i hope...)
    Well that's part of why I applied to a London Uni!
    • 74 followers

ReputationRep:
    FIRMED THIS HOT BABY!! :sogood: :coma: :ahee: :teeth:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ViceVersa)
    FIRMED THIS HOT BABY!! :sogood: :coma: :ahee: :teeth:
    Feels good don't it
    • 74 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MuffinMonster)
    Feels good don't it
    It is a bloody great feeling!!

Motivation also stronger than ever, on to revision from now on!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: August 29, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.