The Student Room Group

Barts and The London Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Penguinsaysquack

Original post by Mish Bish
Hi All....
I need some help!
I live within the M25, but it takes 1 hour 20 / 30 mins to get to Whitechapel, just been on the phone with Student Accomodation people and been told should I apply I will be on a waiting list and may get a place end Oct?
They suggest commuting from home (!) or moving into a hostel until they can offer me a room (which they cant guarantee)....
Do any current Barts med students know if its likely that I will get into halls?

I love Barts and was so excited with the offer, but dont think I will cope with living at home and commuting! Its not that my home life isnt comfortable and all.... its just not what I thought going to Uni would be about :colondollar:

all advice on working my way up the waiting list/ short term lets etc welcomed.
:frown:

Ah I just remembered that I live inside the M25 too! I hope I get accommodation... commuting is not my thing
Original post by MuffinMonster

Ah I just remembered that I live inside the M25 too! I hope I get accommodation... commuting is not my thing

Actually the more 'within M25' the better - then the accommodation people get to the waiting list quicker and we get rooms before freshers - other wise it may not be until Nov! :frown:
Original post by Mish Bish
Hi All....
I need some help!
I live within the M25, but it takes 1 hour 20 / 30 mins to get to Whitechapel, just been on the phone with Student Accomodation people and been told should I apply I will be on a waiting list and may get a place end Oct?
They suggest commuting from home (!) or moving into a hostel until they can offer me a room (which they cant guarantee)....
Do any current Barts med students know if its likely that I will get into halls?

I love Barts and was so excited with the offer, but dont think I will cope with living at home and commuting! Its not that my home life isnt comfortable and all.... its just not what I thought going to Uni would be about :colondollar:

all advice on working my way up the waiting list/ short term lets etc welcomed.
:frown:

I don't know too much about it all, but from what I've heard, your very likely to still be able to get accommodation. Someone on my floor lived closer to Whitechapel than you, and still managed to get an amazing room at Dawson on the waiting list.

Having said this, she waited as long as she thought possible having still not heard anything until close to the start of term. Then she paid her deposit for a house close to London (around 500 quid) thinking she wouldn't get accommodation as it had been so long. That afternoon she got an accommodation offer and she lost most of her deposit. Typical!

So yeah, I think your very likely to get accommodation, but you may have to wait a while for it! But I'm sure someone else is more informed than me. Just don't be resigned to commuting just yet!
Reply 5843
hey hey guys , does anyone here have any criminal shizz they need to fill outt?

or any current students who had to when they applied?

message/reply.. would love to talk about it with someone else in my boat :P
Hey guys, sorry to dissapoint but i've Firmed Glasgow.
Best of luck to you all.
Original post by joemullally
Best of luck to you all.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? :nooo:
Reply 5846
I'm sooooo excited to start medicine! Yet I'm soooooo nervous about getting the grades aswell :frown:
Original post by joemullally
Best of luck to you all.

Have a brilliant time dude! One of my friends from college went there and she loves it!
Guys is it safe to go away from the country for a month straight after the exams? Like there's nothing paperwork or otherwise that require me to be physically here right?
Any textbook recommendations for Barts?
Reply 5850
Original post by MuffinMonster
Guys is it safe to go away from the country for a month straight after the exams? Like there's nothing paperwork or otherwise that require me to be physically here right?

nope! Once you're done you're free. That's what i did anyway. Unless your school requires you to be there for something... Go have fun!
Original post by lilo891
nope! Once you're done you're free. That's what i did anyway. Unless your school requires you to be there for something... Go have fun!

Thanks! Woo!
Hey guys, I'm also leaving this thread (although Its been great) :frown:
i firmed liverpool today, it was always my favourite (just) and the only reason its taken me so long to decide is because of the people on the post offer open day (and on this thread) have been so nice and enthusiastic about the Uni, which made a certain decision a very tricky one instead...
I hope you all have the best time at barts, good luck and goodbye
Original post by vladricketts
Any textbook recommendations for Barts?

The uni recommend you buy loads, in reality you don't really need to buy anything seeing as the libraries are well stocked.

The only books I've bought are Kumar and Clarke's Clinical Medicine, Anatomy Coloring (it's american..) book, and a neuro book that you don't need to think about buying for a long while yet.
Original post by Penguinsaysquack

The only books I've bought are Kumar and Clarke's Clinical Medicine, Anatomy Coloring (it's american..) book, and a neuro book that you don't need to think about buying for a long while yet.

I literally pulled this book apart for first year anatomy at QM and redecorated my walls :biggrin:
Kumar and Clark is a waste of money. So is anatomy colouring book and neuro.

Having bought many, many books over the years the only ones I would recommend are:

1.) A decent anatomy textbook, such as Grants
2.) A decent physiology textbook, such as Pocock and Richards
3.) Oxford Handbook of Clinical Medicine
4.) Medicine at a Glance
5.) A decent clinical examination/OSCE book

The latter three are required for year 3 onwards.

If you need any more, they can all be loaned from the library.
What's the chances of someone getting accommodation if they live in an area like... zone 4?
Has people received the email about how to apply for student accommodation yet?
Reply 5858
don't forget to join the facebook group guys: https://www.facebook.com/groups/322009871181946/
Original post by MSheekey
Has people received the email about how to apply for student accommodation yet?

They said in the open day it starts in a couple of weeks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending