The Student Room Group

Barts and The London Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

IMO, Id put money on it going up, since people with lower UCAS tariffs will not apply, but people with higher tarrifs will.
Reply 6101
I don't really agree with this new admissions process. They interview and effectively give offers based on applicants having high UCAS tariffs. Yet the conditional offers they give are generally AAA. This doesn't seem fair. So really, you only need exceptionally high PREDICTED grades, just to obtain an offer.
Original post by Kirya
I don't really agree with this new admissions process. They interview and effectively give offers based on applicants having high UCAS tariffs. Yet the conditional offers they give are generally AAA. This doesn't seem fair. So really, you only need exceptionally high PREDICTED grades, just to obtain an offer.

Yup it is completely stupid but apparently all Barts cares about is how it looks in the league tables, and if it gets people with higher UCAS scores they go up the tables. It is ridiculous, even more so than UKCAT cut-offs, but there is absolutely nothing you can do about it! It is also favouring those who do 4/5 A-levels which is also completely stupid imo.
Original post by a moist feeling
Yup it is completely stupid but apparently all Barts cares about is how it looks in the league tables, and if it gets people with higher UCAS scores they go up the tables. It is ridiculous, even more so than UKCAT cut-offs, but there is absolutely nothing you can do about it! It is also favouring those who do 4/5 A-levels which is also completely stupid imo.

Of course it cares. Tell me a medical school that doesn't.:biggrin:
Original post by GrahamRodney
Of course it cares. Tell me a medical school that doesn't.:biggrin:

It is true, but it means nothing at all, and the use of UCAS points I doubt makes better doctors. It is an incredibly unfair system however, favouring those from grammar and private schools! I realise no admissions system can be perfect but this one is incredibly flawed. If they used those predictions to then make offers that would be alright, but any school could predict any idiot 4 A*s!
Been a fair bit of discussion on here lately about the use of UCAS tariff, and a kind applicant has found out the requirements:

BLApplicants must offer at the least the minimum academic requirements either achieved or predicted in the required subjects and grades, and furthermore MUST meet a minimum UKCAT score of 2400 (total score) in order to be considered further in our assessment process.

For 2013 entry, applicants to A100 Medicine will be assessed according to the strength of their academic profile; we will take in to consideration cumulative achieved/predicted grades or qualifications using UCAS tariff points. Applicants must offer minimum cumulative achieved/predicted tariff points of 460.

So even though the offer is AAA, applicants must be predicted at least AAAB or equivalent.
Original post by a moist feeling
It is true, but it means nothing at all, and the use of UCAS points I doubt makes better doctors. It is an incredibly unfair system however, favouring those from grammar and private schools! I realise no admissions system can be perfect but this one is incredibly flawed. If they used those predictions to then make offers that would be alright, but any school could predict any idiot 4 A*s!

The fact remains that the tariff is all. As long as there are league tables then these schools are going to play the game. :mad:
Reply 6107
Guys, I have been offered Dawson Hall. Is Single Basic the best type of room in Dawson? Are there different type of Single Basic like the 1st floor is the best etc....?

I chose Single Basic as my top preference because people say Single Standard has a sink and it is smaller than Single Basic. As for single small, I am not too sure what it is like.
About time I leave this thread now :sad: Feels very bittersweet. Good luck guys! Hope you all love Barts! :biggrin: I will be helping in the 2013 thread though as I think that's more fitting. :teehee:
So if my predicitions were A*A*Aa(doing an extra AS)b(in bio achieved) how many points would that be...?
Reply 6110
Original post by GrahamRodney
The fact remains that the tariff is all. As long as there are league tables then these schools are going to play the game. :mad:

i just lost the game :frown:
Original post by Theafricanlegend
So if my predicitions were A*A*Aa(doing an extra AS)b(in bio achieved) how many points would that be...?

140+140+120+60+50=?

Plus any other points you can get for music qualifications etc
Original post by Penguinsaysquack
140+140+120+60+50=?

Plus any other points you can get for music qualifications etc

A gold crest award?
Original post by Theafricanlegend
A gold crest award?

No I don't think you get points for gold crest, although it still looks good on your cv and is handy during interview.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Moved to 2013
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending