The Student Room Group

Peninsula Medical School Applicants thread 2012 entry.

Scroll to see replies

Well my direct entry place is 100% confirmed! Peninsula here I come :biggrin:
Reply 121
Original post by awesomeollie
Hello

I'm interested in applying to penninsula for medicine and got 667.5 avg in ukcat but with 2 sections of 580. I was reading in their prospectus that you need to get a minimum score in each of the four subtests and was just wondering what they were??

VR - 520
Qr - 610
AR - 560
DA - 550

i suspect QR will go down though, cause of lack of hand held calcs..... atleast tahts what im praying for :biggrin:
Haaalp me.
Reply 123
^ with?......
Original post by PeaceFreak

What jealous individual negged this post.
Well done mate, well done.
Well deserved. might even see you next year for freshers, if i'm lucky.
Reply 125
Definitely applying to Peninsula!
Goodluck guys :smile:

+rep to balance out :P
well donee :biggrin:
Original post by areyousure?
+rep to balance out :P
well donee :biggrin:

I would but i've repped him to recently.
Is it safe to apply with achieved AAA A-levels and UKCAT score of 647.5?
I don't know what I should do, its very risky.
Also, I got 530 in VR and 620 in QR!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 129
Original post by amazin_sk8a_dude
Is it safe to apply with achieved AAA A-levels and UKCAT score of 647.5?
I don't know what I should do, its very risky.
Also, I got 530 in VR and 620 in QR!

The only thing about your application that might be risky is your VR and QR cos they have cutoffs in for each subsection. Last year was 520 for VR and 610 for QR. The cut off for total ukcat score was also 642.5 avg.

However, saying this, I have heard that the fact you have achieved grades may be advantageous. I'm applying as a gap year student too with AAAA achieved and 667.5 avg in UKCAT. Hope that helps :wink:
Reply 130
Original post by pan_93
The only thing about your application that might be risky is your VR and QR cos they have cutoffs in for each subsection. Last year was 520 for VR and 610 for QR. The cut off for total ukcat score was also 642.5 avg.

However, saying this, I have heard that the fact you have achieved grades may be advantageous. I'm applying as a gap year student too with AAAA achieved and 667.5 avg in UKCAT. Hope that helps :wink:

Um, hi there pan. Would you be able to tell me what other two sub-section cut offs were (AR & DA. It took me longer than it should have to remember them :colone:)
I too am a reapplicant/gap yearer, which ever one is less bad.
Original post by pan_93

Original post by Seb
Um, hi there pan. Would you be able to tell me what other two sub-section cut offs were (AR & DA. It took me longer than it should have to remember them :colone:)
I too am a reapplicant/gap yearer, which ever one is less bad.

This, I'll add them to the op.
Reply 132
Original post by joemullally
What jealous individual negged this post.
Well done mate, well done.
Well deserved. might even see you next year for freshers, if i'm lucky.

And I thought Medicine was a caring profession......who are these sad people that neg others success?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 133
Original post by pan_93

Hmm not too sure about that, i applied to peninsula last year with 540 in VR and above 630 in everything else with average of 652.5 and I was rejected without interview. The reason they gave was I didn't meet UKCAT cut off so i think the subsections are high 500's although I'm not too sure, I think its close to the national average for each section.
Reply 134
Original post by Cheddar
Hmm not too sure about that, i applied to peninsula last year with 540 in VR and above 630 in everything else with average of 652.5 and I was rejected without interview. The reason they gave was I didn't meet UKCAT cut off so i think the subsections are high 500's although I'm not too sure, I think its close to the national average for each section.

How odd:confused:. I actually phoned them up and gave me those figures....

VR - 520
QR - 610
AR - 560
DA - 550

with total score cutoff at 2570....

I don't see how you were rejected by UKCAT last year....
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 135
Original post by pan_93
How odd:confused:. I actually phoned them up and gave me those figures....

VR - 520
QR - 610
AR - 560
DA - 550

with total score cutoff at 2570....

I don't see how you were rejected by UKCAT last year....

Well I just mangaed to dig out the rejection email, this is what they said,

Peninsula
As the School is only able to interview approximately one third of applicants, candidates were ranked on the basis of achieved or predicted grades and invitations to interview were sent to the applicants with the highest ranked academic performance and UKCAT scores.

I am sorry to inform you that your application did not fall within this group and, as a result, your application was unsuccessful.

so I guess it could be because my UCAS Tariff wasn't high enough, although I was predicted A*AAA. As long as i get an interview this year I'm not too bothered, at least my UKCAT and grades have improved.
Original post by oldbatty
It's just been voted the friendliest medical school. It is called Brighton and Sussex medical school.

lol thank you!
Original post by Cheddar

so I guess it could be because my UCAS Tariff wasn't high enough, although I was predicted A*AAA. As long as i get an interview this year I'm not too bothered, at least my UKCAT and grades have improved.

For me it was the interview that saved me, i had a pretty average application (average grades, all As no a* predictions, ukcat of 670ish etc) but speaking to them after interviews they said that i gained a high interview score which kind of balanced everything out!

From what i can remember its graded /30 with 18 being the cut off last year
Reply 138
Original post by Cheddar

maybe it was your GCSE's....I know that peninsula look at achieved grades more favourably so we should be in with a better shout this year :wink:
Reply 139
For me it was the interview that saved me, i had a pretty average application (average grades, all As no a* predictions, ukcat of 670ish etc) but speaking to them after interviews they said that i gained a high interview score which kind of balanced everything out!

From what i can remember its graded /30 with 18 being the cut off last year

Wow lucky you, I'll definitely PM you for interview advice if I get an interview:crossedf:

Original post by pan_93
maybe it was your GCSE's....I know that peninsula look at achieved grades more favourably so we should be in with a better shout this year :wink:

Oh yeah, I didn't think they considered GCSE's though, but that seems most likely. Hopefully we'll get at least an interview, we are re-apps after all :colone:

Quick Reply