The Student Room Group

Peninsula Medical School Applicants thread 2012 entry.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FunsizedKarateGeek
This is exactly how I feel :frown: I'm already borderline OCD..
But then my mum said something to me: "Wow an extra £1000 a year.. How much are flip-flops?"
We'll all share eventually.. :rolleyes:

Shared bathroom = more banter obviously.

But i know what you mean, i'm the sort of guy that can spend an hour just standing in the shower thinking.... gonna have to sort that out aha
Reply 1501
Original post by carcinoma
If they don't they will end up seriously embarrassed in the near future.

and Hopefully things will not go as smoothly as the Vice Chancellors wanted, they have attracted government interest recently. So it looks like this split will take a little longer than they anticipated.

They will now be scrutinised and forced into a more formal consultation.

I Hate how underhand things like this can be.

Its like the first i heard of any split was at my interview. no one had inclined to tell me when we applied.

I't happened a few years ago with my local hospital. they tried to shut it down and the first anyone heard of it was when the papers got hold of the story. Maybe there will be a happy ending for PCMD afterall.

On another more important note. If i have to share a shower theres probably less chance of me passing out in the shower, which i have been known to do in the past after a long night, so its probably a good thing that an En Suite room is so expensive :smile:
Feel really sorry for you guys needing accommodation now; when I was in Exe, my en-suite room was bout £700 less a year than it is now...and I only *just* managed to afford it then!

But Mews is actually pretty nice for shared bathrooms; don't go for croft (if it is still standing!)

You'll have a great time. And if you come down to Truro accommodation is practically a bargain!
Original post by obgynsurg
I heard about this, but doubt it would all just reverse and stay as Peninsula. Too many bridges burned and our secretary state for health is a University of Exeter graduate!

It is a shame that petty personal differences are leading to the breakdown of our medical school.

I see only one possibility to keep PCMD together, New Vice Chancellors and New Deans.

Although the probability of this is almost impossible.
Original post by obgynsurg
Feel really sorry for you guys needing accommodation now; when I was in Exe, my en-suite room was bout £700 less a year than it is now...and I only *just* managed to afford it then!

But Mews is actually pretty nice for shared bathrooms; don't go for croft (if it is still standing!)

You'll have a great time. And if you come down to Truro accommodation is practically a bargain!

Can I ask, how nice is nice?
I know it's only 5 in a flat but cleaning is only once a week and I've practically got a phobia for public toilets as it is..

Also, has anyone tried the accommodation search on exeter, we can only apply to rowancroft (no-name) or rowancroft mews, i thought court was out of the question anyway..
(edited 12 years ago)
Mews isn't a 5 star hotel but it is more than liveable. The bathrooms do not have yucky things growing in them. You have your own basin in your room so showering is the only thing (apart from the kitchen) you'll share with others.

Plus, you get a tv with freeview in the common area, which you don't have in Rowancroft with the en-suites.

En-suite was lovely but it was not perfect; the drainage system meant that the showers would fill up after a minute or two. Plus there was a real problem with the paint in the rooms and kitchen- you just had to brush past it and it peeled away! Mews is fine if it is all you can afford. Exeter are really robbing students with accommodation now though, especially since loans have not gone up with the changes in inflation.

And if Croft isn't available, probably means they're getting rid of it! About time anyway!

You'll have a really good time regardless of where you live. Enjoy it!
Reply 1506
Original post by PeaceFreak
Shared bathroom = more banter obviously.

But i know what you mean, i'm the sort of guy that can spend an hour just standing in the shower thinking.... gonna have to sort that out aha

well if they're gonna charge so much for accomodation, I want my moneys worth :P
Sorry guys another question: on my letter it says I will be "registered" with Exeter University for the five years. I know the degree itself is from both Plymouth and Exeter but what does this mean in terms of year 3-5?
Will we have to travel between locations for teaching that is not done in hospitals? Say if I moved to Plymouth for years 3-4, will I have access to their facilities as well? Or is it just the location you're moving to after year 2, and not the actual university?

Hope I'm making sense :s-smilie:
Original post by FunsizedKarateGeek
Sorry guys another question: on my letter it says I will be "registered" with Exeter University for the five years. I know the degree itself is from both Plymouth and Exeter but what does this mean in terms of year 3-5?
Will we have to travel between locations for teaching that is not done in hospitals? Say if I moved to Plymouth for years 3-4, will I have access to their facilities as well? Or is it just the location you're moving to after year 2, and not the actual university?

Hope I'm making sense :s-smilie:

It is irrelevant you will have access to the facilities of both universities throughout all five years.

Its just for them to calculate the funding. Has no actual matter at all.
Reply 1509
Original post by carcinoma
I

Mate of mine got plym but wanted exeter as he's international and would be easy to fly direct into exe. Wants to send an e-mail but doesn't know how much effect that'll have. What do you reckon? Will they re-allocate?
Reply 1510
Original post by Tobia_s
Mate of mine got plym but wanted exeter as he's international and would be easy to fly direct into exe. Wants to send an e-mail but doesn't know how much effect that'll have. What do you reckon? Will they re-allocate?

Can't see why they would bother, frankly. At some point they would be allocated Plymouth or Truro and may have a placement like Torbay Hospital or Barnstaple which are different locations again.Exeter is only an hour away on the train and what you save on the accommodation in Plymouth in comparison with Exeter will more than cover that!
Original post by Tobia_s

They are unlikely to do so. However, it is worth asking all they can do is say no.

But they will have to move for year 3-4 and in year 5, so is it really worth the effort?

They will definitely not be allowed to stay in the same locality for all 5 years.
Reply 1512
Original post by masterhr1
Do we send the student ID form and the student agreement form back together to the same address or are they meant to be going different places?

Send it to the same place ("admissions at plymouth"). Pretty much where everything sort of goes to first i reckon
Is it compulsory that we send them the records of our immunisations and when does that need to be sent to them by? I'm assuming we don't need to have any more before we go.
Reply 1514
Original post by Dandy Lion
Is it compulsory that we send them the records of our immunisations and when does that need to be sent to them by? I'm assuming we don't need to have any more before we go.

The imms form is probably compulsory for the medical school but they cant preclude you from the course regardless of what it says.

isn't it kind of a good idea? your not allowed to practice certain procedures if you have certain diseases.

as for the date its the same as all the other stuff in the pack, so june or something
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by OSharp
The imms form is probably compulsory for the medical school but they cant preclude you from the course regardless of what it says.

isn't it kind of a good idea? your not allowed to practice certain procedures if you have certain diseases.

as for the date its the same as all the other stuff in the pack, so june or something

Okay I just found that part of the pack a bit unclear, I'll investigate into it more, thanks for your help
Hey guys,

Just got my pack today and I've been allocated to Plymouth. I did want Exeter a bit more but I'm sure I'll have a great time wherever.
Is everyone planning on applying for halls, since we apparently have priority?
Original post by mementomori
Hey guys,

Just got my pack today and I've been allocated to Plymouth. I did want Exeter a bit more but I'm sure I'll have a great time wherever.
Is everyone planning on applying for halls, since we apparently have priority?

Same here, I have a good friend who goes to Plymouth though and says she loves it which makes me feel a lot better! I'm applying for halls :smile:
Reply 1518
I thought it was pretty average for medical schools when I went there.

My interview tour group was entirely males and there where only 6 girls at the interview and about 34 guys.... I thought i'd turned up at imperial by mistake :tongue:

I've been assured its not and that I was being paranoid :biggrin:
Got my info pack today (wasn't expecting it until may), glad to see they put the student numbers and stuff for exeter so i can actually apply for accommodation this year! Last year they didn't bother.....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending