The Student Room Group

Peninsula Medical School Applicants thread 2012 entry.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1580
Original post by myyrh
Hi guys :smile: Just out of curiosity, I was wondering if anyone knew what the interview scores were out of ?

Last year it was out of 30
hey out of interest, how much did current students spend on books? and what titles are highly recommended for the first year?

Good luck to everyone taking exams atm!
Is it too late to apply for accommodation? I've just remembered about it now..
Reply 1583
anyone know anything about the vaccination stuff? I'm not sure what I have or havent had :/

I remember someone saying that we dont actually need to do anything and that PMS sort everything out in the first few weeks?

Also....bored and cant wait to start!
Reply 1584
Original post by hopes
anyone know anything about the vaccination stuff? I'm not sure what I have or havent had :/

I remember someone saying that we dont actually need to do anything and that PMS sort everything out in the first few weeks?

phoned them yesterday, they said dont worry too much but it might affect placements if we havent had them when we start. Im not paying £200 to have some injections unless i absolutely have to.

Original post by masterhr1
Is it too late to apply for accommodation? I've just remembered about it now..

No mate its some time in june and it ISN'T first come first served.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by hopes

The whole gap year novelty has officially worn off, i'm actually ready to start uni now lol

Original post by OSharp
phoned them yesterday, they said dont worry too much but it might affect placements if we havent had them when we start. Im not paying £200 to have some injections unless i absolutely have to.

£200...

Don't you guys have that red book we had as babies..? It's got all vaccination records in there
You've most probably had all of them as standard vaccinations, the only one you might need is Hep B - but if you've worked in/done voluntary stuff in a hospital etc, they would've given that one to you as well
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1586
Original post by FunsizedKarateGeek
The whole gap year novelty has officially worn off, i'm actually ready to start uni now lol

Tell me about it! I'm extremely grateful to have an unconditional but it sometimes
feels surreal and that I'm never actually going to start!

Im going to egypt next month and then America for a few weeks so that'll be good but I've been in such a tedious routine since end of Jan that I really need to change it! Plus all my mates are still busy with uni, worst crack.
Reply 1587
Original post by FunsizedKarateGeek

£200...

You've most probably had all of them as standard vaccinations, the only one you might need is Hep B - but if you've worked in/done voluntary stuff in a hospital etc, they would've given that one to you as well

Yes I have but I have had vaccinations since then, and i think its hep B and BCG as I havent had either.
Original post by hopes
Tell me about it! I'm extremely grateful to have an unconditional but it sometimes
feels surreal and that I'm never actually going to start!

Im going to egypt next month and then America for a few weeks so that'll be good but I've been in such a tedious routine since end of Jan that I really need to change it! Plus all my mates are still busy with uni, worst crack.

Can't wait to hand in my notice at work!
Plan to get my driving licence while I've still got the money and travelling starts in August for me: Spain (with mates) and Florida (with family).

The term dates PCMD gave us i.e. 17th September - I'm guessing this is the beginning of the Exeter Uni fresher's week and apparently medics move in a week early. Do you think we'll be moving in as early as the 8th/9th..?
If I only put down one choice for accommodation in Plymouth, will I definitely get it? I don't want to put down a different 2nd choice!
Reply 1590
I went for Gilwell only last year as it was the cheapest and got it. I didn't want to spend loads on accommodation. Known as the Gilwell Ghetto to everyone - it is somewhere to sleep and eat with a good community spirit but basic and a bit tatty and can be pretty noisy due to its location.
Original post by snoz64
I went for Gilwell only last year as it was the cheapest and got it. I didn't want to spend loads on accommodation. Known as the Gilwell Ghetto to everyone - it is somewhere to sleep and eat with a good community spirit but basic and a bit tatty and can be pretty noisy due to its location.

I wasn't given the choice of location, only the type e.g. en suite or standard, and the length of the lease :frown: I only put down one type of accommodation though, hope i get it!
Reply 1592
Original post by Dandy Lion
I wasn't given the choice of location, only the type e.g. en suite or standard, and the length of the lease :frown: I only put down one type of accommodation though, hope i get it!

As I remember that was also the case for me but the form quite clearly said that you wouldn't be asked to pay more than the max price you put down (or something like that!) and Gilwell was the only halls that fitted that category:wink:
Has anyone else's track status changed to unconditional from conditional? (I already had the grades). Got so worried when i saw my track had changed haha! Took me back several months :P Huge relief now that it is unconditional though :smile:
Reply 1594
Hi! I put Peninsula as my insurance choice. Do you guys know what happens if I do not get into my first choice? How will I get allocated and will there be enough time for me to find accomondation and stuff like that? :smile:
does peninsula accept criticial thinking for 4th AS, it only says no to general studies on the website :s-smilie:
Reply 1596
Original post by AishaTara
does peninsula accept criticial thinking for 4th AS, it only says no to general studies on the website :s-smilie:

Your best bet is to give them a phone call :smile:
Hey everyone! My name's Emma, I'm IT & Publicity officer for Plymouth MedSoc - Just thought you may be interested in our website: www.plymouthpeninsulamedsoc.co.uk :smile:

And browsing through I see there's quite a bit of confusion and stuff over accommodation - in Exeter you're all grouped in Rowancroft, there's a really friendly feel and it's pretty much all medics and sports science I am told (don't quote me on that). When I visited the accommodation seemed really beautiful! Even though you're not restricted to Rowancroft anymore, I think you should definitely apply there anyway - nice and close to St.Lukes campus! And at Plymouth you get a choice of ensuite/non-ensuite and the contract length. Wherever you end up you're going to have a fantastic time! And apparently if you put in the comments your preference you're fairly likely to get it as medics are placed in halls first. If you really want a super nice halls, if you go for 42 weeks you get Mary Newman or Francis Drake... They are nice, but in my opinion not worth the extra cost. And wardens are very strict. Then there's Pilgrim and Radnor, 40 week with ensuite - my personal favourites. Very nice but not overpriced. There's the Unite accommodation, all quite nice, no wardens which is awesome, and some have TVs. Alexandra works is a bit far out, but St Thomas & Central Point are both really cool. Then there's Robbins, 40 week, can be both ensuite and not. It's where I'm living, they're pretty good, but the kitchens aren't great. You do get a balcony though, major plus! And lastly Gilwell, 40 week, single gender flats, non-ensuite. Bit of a hole but you get a cheap fantastic university experience and the wardens are much more lenient! And don't worry about the single gender thing, all the flats mix anyway!

And with regards to vaccinations, any you don't have they do for free when you get here, so don't fret!

And books - I wouldn't buy them til you get here and can find out which ones work best for you :smile:

Good luck on getting the results you need, if you do we'll be seeing you next year! ;D

Lots of MedSoc love! xxx
Reply 1598
Wondering if anyone else had seen this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-18281275

I didn't think it was possible to cut nurses' pay and increase their hours any more !
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by AishaTara

I emailed them about this, and yes, they accept critical thinking as a 4th.

Quick Reply

Latest