The Student Room Group

Peninsula Medical School Applicants thread 2012 entry.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by OSharp
There is a freshers facebook event that has all the Info for the fortnight.

Spoiler

Soo much drinking and dressing up

Not on facebook :frown:
But thanks for the info, need to start looking at fancy dress!
And the excitement for our future begins..

Original post by Cheddar
http://www.exeterguild.org/fun/#all

For you and anyone else wondering, I saw this on the exeter students guild website, it looks about right I'm just waiting for confirmation.

Its got me super excited though :woo:

Looks like there's gonna be loads going on!
Doubt I'll be bothered to actually learn anymore after those two weeks :tongue:
Reply 1701
Hi,

I did my UKCAT today and had got 585 average

VR:590
QR:590
AR:610
DA:510

Do I meet the UKCAT cut of?

My current stats are;
GCSE; 2 A*s (1 in Chemistry and a short course ICT), 5 A's and 2 B's (One in Physics and One in Geography)
AS level result: ABB (A in Chemistry, B's in Economics and Biology BOTH 1-2 UMS of an A overall)
Predicted A level is AAA
Also taking the EPQ and might get a B on that (count as my 4th AS)

Do I have a shot at this university?

Thank you for reading just im very worried :/
Reply 1702
Original post by king101
Hi,

My current stats are;
GCSE; 2 A*s (1 in Chemistry and a short course ICT), 5 A's and 2 B's (One in Physics and One in Geography)
AS level result: ABB (A in Chemistry, B's in Economics and Biology BOTH 1-2 UMS of an A overall)
Predicted A level is AAA

You can see the adverages above mate, take a look I dont think you miss any of the cutoffs entirely but a UKCAT below 600 might not go in your favour, also Its now 2 seperate Unis
Reply 1703
Original post by OSharp
You can see the adverages above mate, take a look I dont think you miss any of the cutoffs entirely but a UKCAT below 600 might not go in your favour, also Its now 2 seperate Unis

So you think it's worth to apply?
Reply 1704
Original post by king101
So you think it's worth to apply?

Look at the individual Universitys pages and I think there was a page somewhere on TSR with cut offs. Try the first page of this thread.

Original post by CpnCornetto

Also, last years cut off's plus sub section cut off's :
VR - 520
QR - 610
AR - 560
DA - 550

with total score cutoff at 2570....

Many thanks to Pan_93 for that information.

So last year the minimum UKCAT was 642, I can only Imagine this has gone up this year.
(edited 11 years ago)
Those in Exeter: Are we meant to activate an IT account/myExeter portal??
The one on the enrolment is for University of Plymouth even though I won't be in plymouth.. :s
Reply 1706
Original post by FunsizedKarateGeek
Those in Exeter: Are we meant to activate an IT account/myExeter portal??
The one on the enrolment is for University of Plymouth even though I won't be in plymouth.. :s

Who knows, someone told me that EMILY is based at plymouth and all of the online resources.
Original post by king101
Hi,

My current stats are;
Predicted A level is AAA

Hey there :smile:,

At Peninsula (Exeter/Plymouth when you apply) they're only going to give you an interview if you have an average score above the cut off point, which they set each year based on the scores of the applications they receive. Usually the UKCAT cut off is about 640 av., but it depends on the average of your year; however, I wouldn't expect it to drop. As it's included in the interview criteria, I'd be inclined to look at some of the unis that don't use the UKCAT as a cut-off, such as Nottingham, Leeds, Edinburgh etc. You can get info about them here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/UKCAT. Or apply to unis which don't consider the UKCAT at all such as Liverpool, Bristol or Birmingham.
Good luck with your application! And don't worry about the UKCAT, it's done now and you can't change it; just make sure you apply to unis that aren't going to penalise you too much on it :smile:
xxx
Original post by OSharp
Who knows, someone told me that EMILY is based at plymouth and all of the online resources.

This is spot on, it's because the EMILY staff are based at Plymouth. We need to share resources between the unis, so we just use the one computer system. Bit annoying that you have to have 2 systems but there are benefits such as we get all the electronic library resources from both universities :smile: x
Do any current students have any tips on note taking and organising?
Got an email few days ago saying a letter from Peninsula with some info should come by the 10th. It hasn't come yet - same with anyone else?
Reply 1711
can any current students give us nervous/excited freshers a bit of a breakdown of what the course is about!? (i.e. exams, content etc)

would be extremely grateful, been looking at some of the lectures on emily... not TOO sure what to make of it. Almost here!
Original post by masterhr1
Got an email few days ago saying a letter from Peninsula with some info should come by the 10th. It hasn't come yet - same with anyone else?

Nope I haven't received anything either, however royal mail don't provide the best service in my area so I'll probably have to wait a couple more days.
Original post by hopes
can any current students give us nervous/excited freshers a bit of a breakdown of what the course is about!? (i.e. exams, content etc)

would be extremely grateful, been looking at some of the lectures on emily... not TOO sure what to make of it. Almost here!

Ooh how did you get onto emily and view the lectures? Can you send me the link please?
Reply 1714
Original post by Cheddar
Ooh how did you get onto emily and view the lectures? Can you send me the link please?

just type in peninsula medical school emily onto google and it should come up. As long as you have enrolled online, just put in your used ID and password and then click on BMBS, year 1, plenaries and they all should be there :smile:
Reply 1715
Original post by masterhr1

Should be on its way. I just got my pack today.
Hi :smile: I'm applying this year and really don't know if I should apply to plymouth or exeter? :s-smilie:
Reply 1717
Any peninsula medics able to tell us first years what textbooks are best to have?

A few people have said Tortora's A&P is good as its not too much waffle to go through and teaches you what you need to know?

Also any other tips about case units, AMK's etc would be really appreciated :smile:
Original post by hopes
Any peninsula medics able to tell us first years what textbooks are best to have?

A few people have said Tortora's A&P is good as its not too much waffle to go through and teaches you what you need to know?

Also any other tips about case units, AMK's etc would be really appreciated :smile:

Torotra is only really good for year one. (and possibly early year 2)

You really should get a separate anatomy and physiology book. Tortora just doesn't cut it. Grays Anatomy and Clinically Oriented Anatomy (Moore and Dally) spring to mind and Sherwoods Human Physiology, Guyton and Hall Physiology or Naish Medical Sciences are excellent choices for physiology. (the latter more so)

AMK is irrelevant for year one. 1. you dont need to pass any of them, 2. dont put any time into learning specifically for it. You will do yourself a disservice in the long run. (We all realised this once we hit clinical years, and lacked some really core knowledge we are repeatedly asked on the wards)

In year one focus on learning your clinical anatomy and physiology, pharmacology and all your LSRC content. This will put you in a great position for the end of year exam.

You only need to pass the EYO1 exam to pass the year, this will set you up well for year 2.

Ideally you should aim to pass the last AMK and the EOY1, if you can pass all the AMKs with minimal effort all the better.

Medicine At a Glance is great for case units alongside the OHCM and Kumar and Clark (although some people dont get on with Kumar, it is really great)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending