Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Peninsula Medical School Applicants thread 2012 entry.

Announcements Posted on
We're up for a Webby! Vote TSR to help us win. 10-04-2014
Interview Discussion 30-01-2014
  • View Poll Results: Ukcat Score of peninsula applicants.
    <550
    2.62%
    550<600
    3.06%
    601<620
    3.49%
    621<640
    12.23%
    641<660
    16.16%
    661<680
    20.09%
    681<700
    14.41%
    701<720
    10.04%
    721<750
    7.42%
    751+ (UKCAT Machines) :P
    10.48%

• 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    can any current students give us nervous/excited freshers a bit of a breakdown of what the course is about!? (i.e. exams, content etc)

would be extremely grateful, been looking at some of the lectures on emily... not TOO sure what to make of it. Almost here!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by masterhr1)
    Got an email few days ago saying a letter from Peninsula with some info should come by the 10th. It hasn't come yet - same with anyone else?
    Nope I haven't received anything either, however royal mail don't provide the best service in my area so I'll probably have to wait a couple more days.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hopes)
    can any current students give us nervous/excited freshers a bit of a breakdown of what the course is about!? (i.e. exams, content etc)

would be extremely grateful, been looking at some of the lectures on emily... not TOO sure what to make of it. Almost here!
    Ooh how did you get onto emily and view the lectures? Can you send me the link please?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cheddar)
    Ooh how did you get onto emily and view the lectures? Can you send me the link please?
    just type in peninsula medical school emily onto google and it should come up. As long as you have enrolled online, just put in your used ID and password and then click on BMBS, year 1, plenaries and they all should be there
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by masterhr1)
    Got an email few days ago saying a letter from Peninsula with some info should come by the 10th. It hasn't come yet - same with anyone else?
    Should be on its way. I just got my pack today.
    • 27 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm applying this year and really don't know if I should apply to plymouth or exeter?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Any peninsula medics able to tell us first years what textbooks are best to have?

A few people have said Tortora's A&P is good as its not too much waffle to go through and teaches you what you need to know?

Also any other tips about case units, AMK's etc would be really appreciated
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hopes)
    Any peninsula medics able to tell us first years what textbooks are best to have?

A few people have said Tortora's A&P is good as its not too much waffle to go through and teaches you what you need to know?

Also any other tips about case units, AMK's etc would be really appreciated :)
    Torotra is only really good for year one. (and possibly early year 2)

You really should get a separate anatomy and physiology book. Tortora just doesn't cut it. Grays Anatomy and Clinically Oriented Anatomy (Moore and Dally) spring to mind and Sherwoods Human Physiology, Guyton and Hall Physiology or Naish Medical Sciences are excellent choices for physiology. (the latter more so)

AMK is irrelevant for year one. 1. you dont need to pass any of them, 2. dont put any time into learning specifically for it. You will do yourself a disservice in the long run. (We all realised this once we hit clinical years, and lacked some really core knowledge we are repeatedly asked on the wards)

In year one focus on learning your clinical anatomy and physiology, pharmacology and all your LSRC content. This will put you in a great position for the end of year exam.

You only need to pass the EYO1 exam to pass the year, this will set you up well for year 2.

Ideally you should aim to pass the last AMK and the EOY1, if you can pass all the AMKs with minimal effort all the better.

Medicine At a Glance is great for case units alongside the OHCM and Kumar and Clark (although some people dont get on with Kumar, it is really great)

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: September 20, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.