The Student Room Group

Peninsula Medical School Applicants thread 2012 entry.

Poll

Ukcat Score of peninsula applicants.

A thread for PMS/ PCMD applicants thread for 2012 entry.

Any questions about applying to or being at the med school. I'm sure some friendly people will be able to help us out here.

UKCAT cut off for last year was 2570 (avg =642.5)

Good luck guys.

See post below for further details. many thanks to Carcinoma.

Also, last years cut off's plus sub section cut off's :
VR - 520
QR - 610
AR - 560
DA - 550

with total score cutoff at 2570....

Many thanks to Pan_93 for that information.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I was wondering when this thread would come about!

BMBS Programme

•

Fully integrated (100 per cent integrated)

•

Community-based programme (25 - 49 per cent of curriculum)

•

Problem-based (75 - 99 per cent of curriculum used for student-activating learning and teaching methods)

Number of years of the programme which include clinical training: 5
Clinical training is 75 - 99 per cent of the full programme

Number of years of the programme which include time with real patients: 5
Time with patients is 75 - 99 per cent of the full programme

Application Statistics

Peninsula 2009 Entry Cycle Statistics:
Peninsula Medical School

Applicants: 2196
Interviews: 800
Offers: 410
Places: 216

About Peninsula Medical School

Peninsula College of Medicine and Dentistry - Medicine Home

Peninsula - Wiki

About BMBS @ Peninsula
Peninsula Medical School’s approach to medical education is both innovative and progressive, with a strong focus on independent learning and innovative teaching methods. Learning at Peninsula is primarily structured around fortnightly case units which underpin and springboard learning. Problem Based Learning (PBL) and Life Sciences Resource Centre (LSRC) sessions are the main tools which support the case units and facilitate learning. These are then integrated with clinical skills sessions, community placements and jigsaw sessions which help to develop clinical reasoning and functional medical knowledge.

If you want any other information about any aspect of the course, the university or life as a medical student fell free to ask.
(edited 12 years ago)
Ah I've been waiting for this thread.. :rolleyes:
Definately my 1st/2nd choice (not that you get much of a say anyways)
Reply 3
Original post by FunsizedKarateGeek
Ah I've been waiting for this thread.. :rolleyes:
Definately my 1st/2nd choice (not that you get much of a say anyways)

Ahh it's you from the re-applicants thread.

I'd love to go to any of the medschool's i've applied to tbf. I applied peninsula last year too.
Stupidly though as my UKCAT was 617.5 so was below the previous years cut off.

Poll added at the top of the thread.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by joemullally
Ahh it's you from the re-applicants thread.

I'd love to go to any of the medschool's i've applied to tbf. I applied peninsula last year too.
Stupidly though as my UKCAT was 617.5 so was below the previous years cut off.

Poll added at the top of the thread.

Haha yeah :rolleyes:

LOL any of the medschools in the UK would do me fine, now i'm just trying to choose the most realistic ones to apply to.

But your score will be fine this year
I'm still a bit wary with mine cos you never know what'll happen this year though, so I plan on picking a non-UKCAT uni too (don't even ask about the BMAT)
Reply 5
Original post by FunsizedKarateGeek
Haha yeah :rolleyes:

LOL any of the medschools in the UK would do me fine, now i'm just trying to choose the most realistic ones to apply to.

But your score will be fine this year
I'm still a bit wary with mine cos you never know what'll happen this year though, so I plan on picking a non-UKCAT uni too (don't even ask about the BMAT)

Your score is good though.

Should be above cut off.

Best of luck
Original post by joemullally
Your score is good though.

Should be above cut off.

Best of luck

Gosh i hope so. :rolleyes:

Reply 7
Updated 2nd Post with some information.
Reply 8
Original post by carcinoma
I was wondering when this thread would come about!

BMBS Programme

•

Fully integrated (100 per cent integrated)

•

Community-based programme (25 - 49 per cent of curriculum)

•

Problem-based (75 - 99 per cent of curriculum used for student-activating learning and teaching methods)

Number of years of the programme which include clinical training: 5
Clinical training is 75 - 99 per cent of the full programme

Number of years of the programme which include time with real patients: 5
Time with patients is 75 - 99 per cent of the full programme

Application Statistics

Peninsula 2009 Entry Cycle Statistics:

About Peninsula Medical School

Peninsula College of Medicine and Dentistry - Medicine Home

Peninsula - Wiki

If you want any other information about any aspect of the course, the university or life as a medical student fell free to ask.

Updated 2nd Post with some information.

Helpful Legend +rep.
carcionma, where did you get the statistical info from?

+1 rep for the helpful post, by the way.
Original post by Rocket_Science
carcionma, where did you get the statistical info from?

+1 rep for the helpful post, by the way.

It is back from when I applied. Ill try get the past few years admissions statistics from admissions when I get back.
Hi :smile:

I've been considering Peninsula for a while, but I was wondering if anyone knew whether you had any say in what campus you go to? Can you put down a preference or is it completely randomly allocated?

Thanks!
Reply 12
In my experience its random...I've got Plymouth. But I do believe if you have a strong preference that they will give it consideration...you can always call and ask :smile:
Original post by mementomori
Hi :smile:

I've been considering Peninsula for a while, but I was wondering if anyone knew whether you had any say in what campus you go to? Can you put down a preference or is it completely randomly allocated?

Thanks!

You can simply call them. Back when I started I called and specifically asked for exeter they gave the usual bull of trying to keep the number of students in eachlocality fair but tbh they normally will listen to you.if that fails don't worry after a few years you will get bored of one locality and want to move. I regret staying in Exeter for the whole course but at the same time I don't see how I would have survived in the crap hole of Plymouth! In case your wondering I put in EC's to stay in Exeter for the whole course
Original post by iceman_jondoe
You can simply call them. Back when I started I called and specifically asked for exeter they gave the usual bull of trying to keep the number of students in eachlocality fair but tbh they normally will listen to you.if that fails don't worry after a few years you will get bored of one locality and want to move. I regret staying in Exeter for the whole course but at the same time I don't see how I would have survived in the crap hole of Plymouth! In case your wondering I put in EC's to stay in Exeter for the whole course

What are you talking about, Plymouth is amazing. The city is now actually good, and the night life gives Exeter a good spanking on any day of the week.
What are you talking about, Plymouth is amazing. The city is now actually good, and the night life gives Exeter a good spanking on any day of the week.

I guess it depends where you start. The people I know who started in Exeter who then moved to Plymouth said Exeter was better, the people who started in Plymouth who then moved to Exeter said Plymouth was better. I prefer Exeter fewer chavs (though there are still the odd few).
Reply 16
Im going to be applying to peninsula next year for sure...missed out on an offer from notts by 1 mark (sad times)...so basically have to re-do a chem practical to get 1 mark. Are the interviews tough? what do they focus on?
I am a resit applicant thinking about Peninsula. I have been trying to talk to them but they don't answer the emails.. so I am just waiting for an answer and then I will decide.

Original post by bambinooo
Im going to be applying to peninsula next year for sure...missed out on an offer from notts by 1 mark (sad times)...so basically have to re-do a chem practical to get 1 mark. Are the interviews tough? what do they focus on?

Did you not go for a remark?
Original post by bambinooo

Ethics, Ethics, oh and Ethics.

You choose one of the three ethical scenarios they offer you on the day, all the questions are based around that scenario.

Questions however also explore your response to stressful/difficult situations, your team dynamics as well as your personal qualities.
Original post by areyousure?
I am a resit applicant thinking about Peninsula. I have been trying to talk to them but they don't answer the emails.. so I am just waiting for an answer and then I will decide.

Admissions are really busy right now, they are trying to confirm all the students and ensure the campuses have been allocated correctly.

I would wait until the 1st week of September, once groups for PBL/anatomy and such have been allocated.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply