The Student Room Group

Aberdeen Medical School Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by maemg
Whats also weird is the % of applicants rejected because of their academics i.e not meeting minimum entry requirements or having the right predicted grades.

Weird because its low or high? Not all the A level applicants are going to meet their offer?
Original post by maemg
http://www.abdn.ac.uk/medicine/prospective/admissions/previous/ I thought you guys might find this interesting. Its amazing how large the % of rejects were because of stupid things like not having a uckat or being late submitting a ucas form they all add up though. Whats also weird is the % of applicants rejected because of their academics i.e not meeting minimum entry requirements or having the right predicted grades.

Original post by TheRabbit
Weird because its low or high? Not all the A level applicants are going to meet their offer?

The % of people rejected who didn't meet the minimum entry requirements is interesting. Especially when there are at least 3 people in our year (Rabbit) who had <AAAAB at Higher. Albeit they have to get high AHs to make up for it.
Original post by TheRabbit

No, rejected before interview for not meeting the minimum requirements. You would be surprised at how many people apply without the essential stuff, thinking that "I really really really want to be a doctor" will override it.
Reply 183
Original post by Becca-Sarah
The spam doesn't end when you get in... :hmpf: I still get emails addressed to me as if I were an applicant.

The horror! :O
Original post by Becca-Sarah
No, rejected before interview for not meeting the minimum requirements. You would be surprised at how many people apply without the essential stuff, thinking that "I really really really want to be a doctor" will override it.

I applied last year, am i right in thinking ukcat stood for 4% last year? Or was it 8%?

Just not that I've saw they're putting it into octiles, I have a ukcat of 630 and already have achieved A2 levels, so now i'm not sure whether i would actually stand a chance in the system considering i'd probably only get about 4% of the ukcat marks :/
Original post by laurenl93
I applied last year, am i right in thinking ukcat stood for 4% last year? Or was it 8%?

Just not that I've saw they're putting it into octiles, I have a ukcat of 630 and already have achieved A2 levels, so now i'm not sure whether i would actually stand a chance in the system considering i'd probably only get about 4% of the ukcat marks :/

Last year it was 4%. I wouldn't be put off by UKCAT, even at 8% you stand a fair chance - remember that TSR is definitely not a representative sample of UKCAT scores! If you have the right A level grades, and you think you've written a good PS, I'd say go for it. We don't know how that 8% is being scored.
totally never knew they had raised it to 8%.

it doesn't change my decision to apply there, but still I should have probably known that :tongue:
Original post by atomos
totally never knew they had raised it to 8%.

it doesn't change my decision to apply there, but still I should have probably known that :tongue:

Not really, I didn't really catch on that they had changed it until a month ago.
Reply 188
Hey Guys I felt God calling me to go to Aberdeen Im irish have a UKCAT average of 660 I Meet the entry requirements nd my personal statement is alright. Applied yesterday so now the waiting starts anyone know how much weight is on a reference
Original post by marienhof
Hey Guys I felt God alling me to go to Aberdeen Im irish have a UKCAT average of 660 I Meet th entry requirements nd my personal statement is alright. Applied yesterday so now the waiting starts anyone know how much weight is on a reference

Not much. Most references are pretty similar if written by school teachers. It is important but nowhere near as much as the PS :smile:
Reply 190
Ohh right thanks :smile:
Reply 191
Application submitted! Aberdeen's my first choice but my parents don't think I can survive the chill :tongue:
Original post by Ergo
Application submitted! Aberdeen's my first choice but my parents don't think I can survive the chill :tongue:

Wow. How reasonable of them.
Reply 193
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
Wow. How reasonable of them.

Just banter, really. Although, coming from a tropical region, I'll probably be in 5 thick layers of clothing during winter :tongue:

Original post by Ergo
Just banter, really. Although, coming from a tropical region, I'll probably be in 5 thick layers of clothing during winter :tongue:

Haha same. You from Singapore right? All the best ya!
Reply 195
Original post by Metastasis
Haha same. You from Singapore right? All the best ya!

Yup, fellow Singaporean here. Hope we both get offers! :biggrin:
Reply 196
I really want to go to Aberdeen (have applied) but I am concerned that my ukcat score of 622.5 (2490) might make things hard for me. :/ i have five A's in the three sciences and maths and english, three predicted A's at AH chem, bio and stats and strong ps so I'm hoping that will make up for my ukcat score.
Good luck to everyone :biggrin:
Reply 197
Original post by LHC
I really want to go to Aberdeen (have applied) but I am concerned that my ukcat score of 622.5 (2490) might make things hard for me. :/ i have five A's in the three sciences and maths and english, three predicted A's at AH chem, bio and stats and strong ps so I'm hoping that will make up for my ukcat score.

Only counts for 8%, so you'll be fine
Reply 198
Original post by kingme

Hello again :wink:
Yup but it's different to last year and they only interview around 500 peeps out of 2000 so it might not be fine :frown: as you can see, I have literally worked my way round all of the medicine threads as I am soooo obsessed with getting in :L I'm rather sad, I know :wink:

EDIT: did you get an awknowledgement from aberdeen?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by LHC

Original post by kingme

You won't be held back with that score :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest