Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Aberdeen Medical School Applicants 2012

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
  • View Poll Results: What was your average UKCAT score?
    500 or lower
    0.97%
    501 - 549
    0%
    550 - 599
    6.76%
    600 - 649
    34.78%
    650 - 699
    38.16%
    700 - 749
    12.08%
    750 - 799
    4.35%
    800 or higher
    2.90%

• 31 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have spent several days in a bikini on Aberdeen beach in the past three years :yes:

I have also experienced -20C for the first time ever.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Might be applying to will watch the thread and see how it goes.

Does anyone know if aberdeen will look at A2 results?? Im taking a gap year so already have them
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swind)
    Might be applying to will watch the thread and see how it goes.

Does anyone know if aberdeen will look at A2 results?? Im taking a gap year so already have them
    Have a good gap year, but no offence is it not a bit of a stupid question whether they will look at your A level results? Or do you mean specific results for the A2 year only?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I mean, ive seen that lots of universities look at GCSE's, but i have not seen A2 mentioned (probably because lots of people dont have them. I was only wondering as i got 4 A's at A level but my GCSE's wernt too great.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    does aberdeen require you to be 18 before allowing you to study the course?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can I just ask, for those of you who were successful in previous years in applying to Aberdeen, how did they use the UKCAT? Was there a cut off like at Glasgow? Do they place much emphasis on it? Or is it more about the personal statement/interview/reference with regards to a successful application?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leavemyarcelona)
    Can I just ask, for those of you who were successful in previous years in applying to Aberdeen, how did they use the UKCAT? Was there a cut off like at Glasgow? Do they place much emphasis on it? Or is it more about the personal statement/interview/reference with regards to a successful application?
    It's on their site - they give a max of 8% for UKCAT.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChangedMyMind)
    It's on their site - they give a max of 8% for UKCAT.
    Legend. You applying as well?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leavemyarcelona)
    Legend. You applying as well?
    Yep as a graduate applicant. Got 690 on my UKCAT.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Bump! I have added a UKCAT poll to the thread
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    My post must have never posted but yeah 8% for the ukcat and I think that they would look at your A levels but you need to ask Becca Sarah about the significance of GCSEs.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I rang aberdeen last week and they said to me that they dont use gcse's for the academic part of selection, they only use A-level predictions.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying to Aberdeen!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anterior view)
    In a word no
    haha yea thanks, i got an email from them today

its really stupid cause im 17 if i get to start in 2012, do you think that any unis will have an exception at all? im only 18 till decemeber 2012
    i know that the age thing is set by NHS but still....
    any ideas?
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by franynli)

its really stupid cause im 17 if i get to start in 2012, do you think that any unis will have an exception at all? im only 18 till decemeber 2012
    any ideas?
    Eh? They said yes or no :confused:

I was 17 until January and its fairly normal - if they said you couldn't apply then try phoning to check that?

You can't go from S5 though.
    • 31 followers

ReputationRep:

any ideas?
    Did Aberdeen tell you at what point in the year you need to turn 18 by? Because I'm fairly sure there's a girl in my class who didn't turn 18 til Christmas, tho I realise the rules may have changed in the several years since I started.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    oh sorry, i mean aberdeen said no age limit, they see your maturity by interview

i was talking about other universities in general :\
    sorry for the confusion
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    oh sorry, i mean aberdeen said no age limit, they see your maturity by interview

i was talking about other universities in general :\
    sorry for the confusion
    All Scottish universities will, but I have no idea about south of the border
    • 31 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheRabbit)
    All Scottish universities will, but I have no idea about south of the border
    Personally I'd say if you're not going to be 18 by the start of term, wait until you are if you plan to go south. Whilst scottish freshers takes into account the fact that there are loads of underage people, english freshers doesn't do so to the same degree.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    Personally I'd say if you're not going to be 18 by the start of term, wait until you are if you plan to go south. Whilst scottish freshers takes into account the fact that there are loads of underage people, english freshers doesn't do so to the same degree.
    How many people start the first year under 18 at Scottish medical schools, or just Aberdeen, in general?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 26, 2012
New on TSR

Join the Welcome Squad

Become a part of the TSR team!

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.