The Student Room Group

Aberdeen Medical School Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

thanks for the encouragement, its needed! I just want in so bad!xx
Original post by noregrets
Haha thanks, it's my first (and only) interview but we'll see what happens. Going into it with an open mind, can only do my best!

I've got nothing but praises to sing for the Aberdeen staff for when I had to go up for my interview. They make sure you're taken care of and are comfortable, the two that interviewed me were unbelievably nice also, actually gave me time to answer; unlike Glasgow who would stop me half way through pretty much every time.
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
I've got nothing but praises to sing for the Aberdeen staff for when I had to go up for my interview. They make sure you're taken care of and are comfortable, the two that interviewed me were unbelievably nice also, actually gave me time to answer; unlike Glasgow who would stop me half way through pretty much every time.

I'm glad it went well - sorry i couldn't put you up for the night!
Original post by TheRabbit
I'm glad it went well - sorry i couldn't put you up for the night!

"I stay in an all-girls flat so..."

SO ALL THE MORE REASON FOR YOU TO HOUSE ME, KIRSTY.

:tongue:
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
"I stay in an all-girls flat so..."

SO ALL THE MORE REASON FOR YOU TO HOUSE ME, KIRSTY.

:tongue:

Dirty sod.
TheRabbit is a girl... :eek: How did I never realise this?!
Original post by Becca-Sarah

Users are always mistaking me for a girl :rolleyes:

I tell them; Lurid pink is not a gender defining colour.
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
Users are always mistaking me for a girl :rolleyes:

I tell them; Lurid pink is not a gender defining colour.

Amen, sista x
I can't seem to find any of my Aberdeen emails in my inbox just now (which is odd considering how many they send me) and I was just wondering if they have their own track system - I can't remember if they do.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Somerandomstudent
I can't seem to find any of my Aberdeen emails in my inbox just now (which is odd considering how many they send me) and I was just wondering if they have their own track system - I can't remember if they do.

Well they do have one:
www.abdn.ac.uk/applicportal

It only tells you whether you've got an offer, been rejected or waiting for decision.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Somerandomstudent

Applicant Portal.
On the train now, interview not until 2.10. Made sure to give myself time in case I got lost :tongue:
Original post by Becca-Sarah

:colondollar: Didn't realised I wrote like a boy! I suppose my signature tends to have a slight sports person interest which is less common in a girl though isn't a major part of my normal life (it used to be the trial biker Danny Mcaskill as I find his videos very inspiring and obviously it is Andy Murray at the moment as I admire him as someone who as worked hard to get to the top of something he loves doing). Even if I was a subscriber I would have a blue username since that is my favourite colour!
(edited 12 years ago)
On the train now, interview not until 2.10. Made sure to give myself time in case I got lost :tongue:

I used to say just head for the cranes, but they have gone now :frown:
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
I used to say just head for the cranes, but they have gone now :frown:

The ECC cranes? At this rate I'm gonna get lost when I come visit!

I left half my map behind when I got to Aberdeen, and only had cash on me for one taxi which I thought was better for going back (so I didn't miss my train), a stressful 30 minutes passed until I walked far enough to find a road which eventually came on to what I had of the map! I was 5 or 6 hours early as I wanted to go to the tour first and also have this thing about being early for everything (I've started to lose this as a student!), but it still wasn't a terribly pleasant experience walking round a strange city with no idea where I was.

Hopefully you will have more luck :tongue:
Reply 1016
Anybody knows how much time do medical students spend at the Suttie Centre and what kind of teaching is involved there?

Also what are the learning objectives for the community course? Is it mainly to enhance your clinical skills or knowledge on the medical sciences or understand the various impacts of disease?
(edited 12 years ago)
To sum up my interview: horrific. I could actually cry right now. Oh and somehow managed to get lost on my way back, will hopefully make my train. :frown: I would be astounded if I got an offer now. Best of luck to the rest, I'm sure you'll do better than me. :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Ergo
Anybody knows how much time do medical students spend at the Suttie Centre and what kind of teaching is involved there?

Also what are the learning objectives for the community course? Is it mainly to enhance your clinical skills or knowledge on the medical sciences or understand the various impacts of disease?

You spend the vast majority of your time in Suttie during the first 3 years. Most lectures are split between Suttie and the Polwarth Auditorium with all tutorials in Suttie.

Suttie also houses the Clinical Skills centre on the first floor where you will pratice clinical skills....:tongue:

Community course is not so much about clinical teaching, there are separate GP placements for that. It is mainly geared towards public health and the psychology behind patients' actions. As you have mentioned, it is concerned with how illness affects patients and how their relationship with healthcare professionals can influence their outcome. That is a pretty simplistic explanation, but I'm sure you get the gist.

Suttie houses the main social areas, a decent cafe and computer room.
(edited 12 years ago)
To sum up my interview: horrific. I could actually cry right now. Oh and somehow managed to get lost on my way back, will hopefully make my train. :frown: I would be astounded if I got an offer now. Best of luck to the rest, I'm sure you'll do better than me. :frown:

Oh dear :frown:

It sounds as if they went to town on you :s-smilie: The questions they asked you seem to have deviated from the norm....though that won't be much consolation.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending