The Student Room Group

Aberdeen Medical School Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1220
Hi, everyone. Anyone still has this on his applicant portal?
Course: MBCHB PRE CLIN (4)
Information on Funding Provider to be determined
Your Application is currently being considered

And did any internationals hear anything yet?
Hey Hisham,

I am international from Canada. I have not heard from Aberdeen yet. I am just wondering how you gained access to the applicant portal? Than you and best of luck with your application.

Ignore the above. I accessed my applicant portal and this is what I have:

Course: MBCHB PRE CLIN (2)

I don't know if the "4" or "2" mean anything, but that is the only difference I can see.. :s-smilie:
(edited 12 years ago)
Been stalking this thread for aaages and my mum has been on the virtual parents evening and asked a fair few questions, thought you might appreciate the info so here goes:

No offers have been made yet.
They said offers won't be given out until most people have been interviewed.
They are still handing out interviews.
All offers and rejections will be made by the end of march and will be delivered by email on a rolling basis starting from around mid-march.
3000 applicants applied for medicine this year, 600 interviews and 300 offers will be made for 152 home places and 10 international places.

pheww think that's it! Good luck everyone :smile:
Original post by Hopefuldummy
Hey Hisham,

I am international from Canada. I have not heard from Aberdeen yet. I am just wondering how you gained access to the applicant portal? Than you and best of luck with your application.

Ignore the above. I accessed my applicant portal and this is what I have:

Course: MBCHB PRE CLIN (2)

I don't know if the "4" or "2" mean anything, but that is the only difference I can see.. :s-smilie:

The numbers are completely arbitrary, don't worry about them.
Original post by missvicks
Been stalking this thread for aaages and my mum has been on the virtual parents evening and asked a fair few questions, thought you might appreciate the info so here goes:

No offers have been made yet.
They said offers won't be given out until most people have been interviewed.
They are still handing out interviews.
All offers and rejections will be made by the end of march and will be delivered by email on a rolling basis starting from around mid-march.
3000 applicants applied for medicine this year, 600 interviews and 300 offers will be made for 152 home places and 10 international places.

pheww think that's it! Good luck everyone :smile:

OMG.
only 10 international places out of 3000 applicants :frown: im sure im gonna fail....
Original post by 2020durian
OMG.
only 10 international places out of 3000 applicants :frown: im sure im gonna fail....

but out of those 3000 most of them will be home/eu, so don't panic too much!
Reply 1226
As Ms. Becca-Sarah said, and I've asked Aberdeen before, the number is not of importance. Don't be bothered by it at all. :smile:
just to give some hope to people still waiting to hear about interviews, i noticed this on the aberdeen website.
'ADMISSIONS UPDATE:
Candidates who have been selected for interview are given at least one, or more usually two week's notice to attend for interview between November and mid March'

it was only updated on the 22nd February, so i reckon there's still a couple of weeks at least left for interviews to be given out.
oh and also on there it says
'UCAS forms progress through the scoring stages in staggered groups, allowing interview slots to be progressively filled. Thus not all candidates will be sent for interview, or sent decisions at any set time. Final decisions will be made by the end of the interview cycle. We are unable to inform candidates about these decisions before UCAS.'

the 'staggered groups' could explain the random numbers after the MBCHB PRE CLIN on the portal
Reply 1229
Original post by atomos
just to give some hope to people still waiting to hear about interviews, i noticed this on the aberdeen website.
'ADMISSIONS UPDATE:
Candidates who have been selected for interview are given at least one, or more usually two week's notice to attend for interview between November and mid March'

it was only updated on the 22nd February, so i reckon there's still a couple of weeks at least left for interviews to be given out.

Please rate some other members before rating this member again. *sigh*
Original post by Farwa
Please rate some other members before rating this member again. *sigh*

:colone:
Original post by missvicks

That is a heck of a lot of applicants. How many students applied last year?
Original post by Caponester

I remember reading that 400 offers were made last year so that offers down by 100 at least :s-smilie: eeeek!

Wasn't it on the data that they have on their website? I think it was about 2200 but not 100% sure.
Original post by beanbag123
I remember reading that 400 offers were made last year so that offers down by 100 at least :s-smilie: eeeek!

Didn't someone mention they were over subscribed last year? That might have a little to do with it.
Reply 1235
Original post by DrWannabe
Wasn't it on the data that they have on their website? I think it was about 2200 but not 100% sure.

Last year there were 2063 applicants, 597 interviewed, 368 offers and 173 entrants.
all the stats are on here, http://www.abdn.ac.uk/medicine/prospective/uploads/files/entry-data-2010.ppsx

2063 applicants,
368 offers.
Original post by Braddd
Last year there were 2063 applicants, 597 interviewed, 368 offers and 173 entrants.

Quite a jump in applicants then huh? I wonder if this correlates with the supposedly low number of applicants to St Andrews? (i.e. the number being banded around over on the St Andrews thread is 600 applicants). I guess If I was English and I was applying to Scotland i'd choose a 5 year course over a 6 year course regardless of what university suited me best.
Reply 1238
Quite a jump in applicants then huh? I wonder if this correlates with the supposedly low number of applicants to St Andrews? (i.e. the number being banded around over on the St Andrews thread is 600 applicants). I guess If I was English and I was applying to Scotland i'd choose a 5 year course over a 6 year course regardless of what university suited me best.

Yeah, it's an extremely large jump. I think you're right though. The majority of applicants would rather not pay an extra year for essentially the same degree. I know I wouldn't. I think that 600 is extremely low for any medical school. I'm pretty skeptical of both figures. Applicants to Glasgow supposedly dropped by about 400 this year. Why has everybody decided to apply to Aberdeen all of a sudden...
Original post by Braddd
Yeah, it's an extremely large jump. I think you're right though. The majority of applicants would rather not pay an extra year for essentially the same degree. I know I wouldn't. I think that 600 is extremely low for any medical school. I'm pretty skeptical of both figures. Applicants to Glasgow supposedly dropped by about 400 this year. Why has everybody decided to apply to Aberdeen all of a sudden...

I think Aberdeen is seen as the safest (in terms of likelihood of success as an applicant) and most inexpensive (for non-Scottish students - degree is capped at £27,000?) medical school to apply to in Scotland. I guess when enough people feel that way and use websites like TSR where trend spotting is made easy; people will try and second guess the admission process.

I'm a little sceptical of the St Andrews figures too, but Glasgow have most certainly seen an overall reduction in applicants this year. All you have to do is look at the lowering of the UKCAT threshold by about 30-40 average points. Unless Glasgow have decided to reassess how they use the UKCAT without telling anyone, which I suppose is possible.

It'd be interesting to see what has happened to applicant numbers for Edinburgh. Traditionally one of the most popular Scottish medical schools with an unpredictable and extremely demanding admissions portfolio. It's also £36,000 for a medical degree, making it more expensive than Aberdeen (need to double check this actually). If applicant numbers have dropped there then it becomes obvious that the shift towards Aberdeen is a financial shift. If applicant numbers have remained the same or increased, then it means non-scots are still willing to take the financial hit (but not enough to study in St Andrews) or more Scots are applying to neutralise the English deficit.

I've not even factored in the lower overall UCAS applicant rate (but likely higher medical applicant rate) into my theories either. If you're going to fork out for a degree, best make it one where the financial returns make such a financial outlay worthwhile (i.e. medicine, dentistry etc).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending