The Student Room Group

Aberdeen Medical School Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sergio Kun Aguero
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't Scottish applicants apply with known higher grades.

And English/Scottish/NIrish only usually apply with predictions (If they're first time)

Aberdeen told you that you couldn't get full marks unless you have achieved grades, so does this mean that Scottish applicants have a much much better chance of getting in, as they have known grades and therefore can achieve the maximum 25%.

Again I may be wrong but is this true ?

Scottish applicants will normally have done two batches of highers - 5 in 5th year and a mix of highers and advanced highers in 6th year. It's true that they will have confirmed grades for their 5th year but that will still apply with predicted grades for their 6th year. Most offers I have seen for Scottish applicants are conditional on their 6th year result.
Okay thanks, seriously thinking about Aberdeen.

Does anyone have any idea how the score the UKCAT %. I.e would 662.5, be around 6% out of a possible 8%.
Original post by Sergio Kun Aguero
Okay thanks, seriously thinking about Aberdeen.

Does anyone have any idea how the score the UKCAT %. I.e would 662.5, be around 6% out of a possible 8%.

The scores are compared to the average score of the applicants that year. So it will vary every year. For 2012 the average UKCAT of Aberdeen applicants could be higher or lower than previously.

662.5 is more than enough to put you in contention, there are people with <600 in my year and the year below.
Original post by ChangedMyMind
Scottish applicants will normally have done two batches of highers - 5 in 5th year and a mix of highers and advanced highers in 6th year. It's true that they will have confirmed grades for their 5th year but that will still apply with predicted grades for their 6th year. Most offers I have seen for Scottish applicants are conditional on their 6th year result.

If you achieve AAAAB or greater in your Highers and get an offer then that offer will be unconditional. Scottish applicants for medicine rarely have to meet any grades in 6th year, certainly not for Aberdeen, Edinburgh or Dundee. Glasgow give every successful Scottish medical applicant a blanket condition of BCC/BBC in their AHs.

If you get an offer and have <AAAAB in your Highers then you will get a condition for your AHs.
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
The scores are compared to the average score of the applicants that year. So it will vary every year. For 2012 the average UKCAT of Aberdeen applicants could be higher or lower than previously.

662.5 is more than enough to put you in contention, there are people with <600 in my year and the year below.

What did you get for your UKCAT? My revision is going badly :frown:.
Original post by Leavemyarcelona

662.5. Offers from Glasgow and Aberdeen, withdrew from Dundee post interview.
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
If you achieve AAAAB or greater in your Highers and get an offer then that offer will be unconditional. Scottish applicants for medicine rarely have to meet any grades in 6th year, certainly not for Aberdeen, Edinburgh or Dundee. Glasgow give every successful Scottish medical applicant a blanket condition of BCC/BBC in their AHs.

If you get an offer and have <AAAAB in your Highers then you will get a condition for your AHs.

Ooo I didn't know that. Thank you for clarifying.
Reply 147

Mine is going badly also. Actually, it hasn't really begun. I started preparing at work tonight since it wasn't busy. When is your test? I have mine on Thursday... *sigh*
Reply 148
Original post by Braddd
Mine is going badly also. Actually, it hasn't really begun. I started preparing at work tonight since it wasn't busy. When is your test? I have mine on Thursday... *sigh*

I have mine on thursday to. I really need it to go well!!:s-smilie:
Reply 149
Hey everyone! I'm going into my final yr of microbiology, sent the ucas form of last week, toss up between Aberdeen and St Andrews for my first choice! Any other graduates applying, and if so may I ask how you did in school exams?
I don't think aberdeen place much emphasis on them if applying as a grad, but Dundee certainly take them into account!
I'm on track for a 1st class and got 652.5 in the ukcat. I'm an health care assistant on the Glasgow nurse bank and at the open day, everyone I spoke to said that should stand me in good stead. Hope it all works out now!
Original post by gh70
Hey everyone! I'm going into my final yr of microbiology, sent the ucas form of last week, toss up between Aberdeen and St Andrews for my first choice! Any other graduates applying, and if so may I ask how you did in school exams?
I don't think aberdeen place much emphasis on them if applying as a grad, but Dundee certainly take them into account!
I'm on track for a 1st class and got 652.5 in the ukcat. I'm an health care assistant on the Glasgow nurse bank and at the open day, everyone I spoke to said that should stand me in good stead. Hope it all works out now!

Hello there,

Aberdeen is definitely the place to be (he says in a completely objective way...) If you haven't read it already:

http://www.abdn.ac.uk/medicine/prospective/planning/graduateapps/

This gives some info for graduate entrants to A100. Your UKCAT and experience are more than enough the key will be having an excellent PS :smile:
Original post by maemg
I have mine on thursday to. I really need it to go well!!:s-smilie:

Calm :smile: If you have done the mocks then that is all you can do. Don't get flustered and if in doubt, guess!
Gonna have a go at aberdeen:smile:
Original post by Braddd

My test is 10.30 on Friday. I'm seriously thinking of not applying this year because of the UKCAT. Surely I can't be the only one who finds those official practice tests from the UKCAT website absolutely bloody impossible?
My test is 10.30 on Friday. I'm seriously thinking of not applying this year because of the UKCAT. Surely I can't be the only one who finds those official practice tests from the UKCAT website absolutely bloody impossible?

The UKCAT is hated and feared by us all. To be honest I don't think it is worth postponing your application for a year, you might find your self in the same situation next October! The is designed to be a trial of aptitude and as such it is difficult to 'revise' the same way as you would for a traditional exam.

There are lots of universities who do not place that much emphasis on the UKCAT and Aberdeen is one of them. Try your best on the day and if in doubt guess :smile:
Reply 155
If i get a UCKAT score between 610 and 620 will that be good enough to score highly out of the allocated 8% for ukcat
Original post by maemg
If i get a UCKAT score between 610 and 620 will that be good enough to score highly out of the allocated 8% for ukcat

You probably wouldn't score very highly (there will be people with 750>) but it would be far from the worst score. There is no way to accurately predict how good a score of 610 will look since the average score of all the applicants changes every year, and that is the figure your score will be compared to.

From my experience and knowledge of my peers' applications, your PS is by far the most influential factor for Aberdeen. The spread of UKCAT scores and grades is considerable amongst successful applicants.
Is anybody having trouble calling the Aberdeen admissions office? :frown:

I just can't get through and I need advice regarding resits.
I'm planning on resitting one AS module this year in physics, and this isn't a subject I have carried through to A2 level, anybody know if Aberdeen would find this acceptable??

Cheers :smile:
Original post by foldingstars45
Is anybody having trouble calling the Aberdeen admissions office? :frown:

I just can't get through and I need advice regarding resits.
I'm planning on resitting one AS module this year in physics, and this isn't a subject I have carried through to A2 level, anybody know if Aberdeen would find this acceptable??

Cheers :smile:

The admissions department will be extremely busy so close to the deadline, if you persevere you will get through eventually :smile:
Applying as a grad! Anyone else doing the same? I have never been to Aberdeen and couldn't make the open day. Anyone care to share what it is like? What you liked about it etc? Best of luck folks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending