The Student Room Group

Aberdeen Medical School Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dRm247
I was thinking of opting for catered, therefore probably go for crombie, is this a wise choice?
how far are these halls from the medical centre?

Yeah. As Becca has said, even the cheapest halls have everything you need. So there isn't really any poor choice. Crombie-Johnston (catered) is maybe 20-25 mins from Foresterhill. Add another 10 if coming from Hillhead. There is a regular bus service which runs from the halls to the hospital.
Original post by Becca-Sarah
You can pretty much pick any accom and end up with medics, cos there's an option on the form to say if you want to live with other medics or not. Personally I could never see the point in the added expense of NCC, etc, when for first year all you need is a desk, a bed, a shower, and a source of food. I stayed in Hector Boece and loved it. I live in halls now, so it can't have put me off that much!

would it make a difference living with just other medics?
Original post by Becca-Sarah
My guess would be that the year following graduation people work as a HCA or have time to do lots of voluntary work, etc, which in your final year of uni is difficult to juggle with dissertations and final exams. It's similar to how reapplicants on gap years are often more successful than when they tried applying as year 13's.

agreed, I found it extremely hard to find the time for anything (had a research report and a 5000 word essay due during the week that I did the UKCAT, and could only do a week's worth of experience before the October deadline). Summer holidays are probably the best time to get experience.
Reply 1663
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
We have no idea what the uni is planning. We can't tell you to give up, nor can we tell you to get your hopes up.

One unsuccessful application cycle is far from the end of the road. People gain entry to medicine as graduates, mature students, after gap years. Some at the third or fourth attempt! The process is competitive, hundreds of young people will find themselves feeling very disappointed over the next month. In life things won't always go your way, how you deal with that will say a lot about you.

Rejection from Aberdeen. That is my 4th rejection this year, and my second year of trying......Another gap year and a 3rd attempt for me in 2013.

Well done to all those with offers and keep trying for all those with rejections.
Original post by atomos
would it make a difference living with just other medics?

It really depends what type of person you are. Personally, I don't have many close friends on the course. I get on with them...but my best friends at uni are my flat mates and those I know through clubs, none of whom are medics.

On the other hand, some people stayed in halls with medics, bought flats with medics and spend their free time playing sports with medics.

In halls, my flat had no other medics. But there are always a large group walking/busing to Foresterhill so I was never isolated.
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
It really depends what type of person you are. Personally, I don't have many close friends on the course. I get on with them...but my best friends at uni are my flat mates and those I know through clubs, none of whom are medics.

On the other hand, some people stayed in halls with medics, bought flats with medics and spend their free time playing sports with medics.

In halls, my flat had no other medics. But there are always a large group walking/busing to Foresterhill so I was never isolated.

hmm, i think i'd rather have mix of people so i can get to know people outside medicine. thanks for that though!
Got a rejection from Aberdeen today. Personal statement was really good, ukcat fine, degree holder NO IDEA why Iv been rejected :frown:! Time to write and find out why... Well done to everyone who was successful
Reply 1667
Original post by caterpillar1988
Got a rejection from Aberdeen today. Personal statement was really good, ukcat fine, degree holder NO IDEA why Iv been rejected :frown:! Time to write and find out why... Well done to everyone who was successful

Same I must have had one lame ass interview score :frown:
Original post by Lamba
Same I must have had one lame ass interview score :frown:

I am sorry to hear that i got a rejection today as well without interview that is. I am taking it better than i expected , however, the tought of doing dat ukcat exam again n taking a whole year out is pretty daunting to me ... did you guys get a preinterview rejection or a post interview rejection??
Original post by samnwood
Rejection from Aberdeen. That is my 4th rejection this year, and my second year of trying......Another gap year and a 3rd attempt for me in 2013.

Well done to all those with offers and keep trying for all those with rejections.

wow , that i awfull i got 4 rejections myself but this was my 1st time applying, are you a graduate or a school leaver ?? if you dont mind me asking what are your grades like ??
Reply 1670
Original post by lilmissA
I am sorry to hear that i got a rejection today as well without interview that is. I am taking it better than i expected , however, the tought of doing dat ukcat exam again n taking a whole year out is pretty daunting to me ... did you guys get a preinterview rejection or a post interview rejection??

Yeah I didn't think the interview went that well but I guess I'm no good at them. Well just waiting on Leeds and yeah I'm probably gonna try to start a business and just work/interview practice/ukcat all year to make sure there is no way I can't get in next year :biggrin:
Original post by Lamba
Yeah I didn't think the interview went that well but I guess I'm no good at them. Well just waiting on Leeds and yeah I'm probably gonna try to start a business and just work/interview practice/ukcat all year to make sure there is no way I can't get in next year :biggrin:

Aww i hadn't realised post interview rejections had come out also, sorry to hear this!! Is it just internationals post interview rejections that have heard then?
Reply 1672
Original post by DrWannabe
Aww i hadn't realised post interview rejections had come out also, sorry to hear this!! Is it just internationals post interview rejections that have heard then?

I'm not sure but I'm from England.
Reply 1673
Rejection at 4pm today :frown: but was lucky enough to receive 2 offers earlier this week from St Andrews & Glasgow so I can't be too upset! Good luck to everyone still waiting!
Original post by Lamba
I'm not sure but I'm from England.

Oh so sorry. I have it in my head that you're international for some reason. So home students have heard then. Any more offers? x
Reply 1675
Original post by DrWannabe
Oh so sorry. I have it in my head that you're international for some reason. So home students have heard then. Any more offers? x

Haha I might as well have spoken French in my interview :colondollar: Nope all rejections and just waiting on Leeds who have said nothing. Erm I'm in final year so will graduate soon. Lets hope I can get some interviews next year and just work on my interview skills. What did everyone do to prepare?
Reply 1676
got my post-interview rejection thro earlier, oh well i will just have to acccept my uncoditional to glasgow lol :P
Reply 1677
Original post by praytogod
hey bradd! why do you say it's daunting to stay in aberdeen?

I don't know. I think it's just because basically ALL of my friends are in Glasgow so having to move away from everybody for at least five years isn't very appealing. I'm so confused as to what I'm going to do. It's hard because it's a choice between where I'd be happier studying and where I'd be happier living...
Original post by Lamba

sweet a business huh ?? what kind of business ? and yeah gonna try and stay focused to do well on my dissertation and graduate with a 1st class then i can focus on ukcat and all dat other good stuff, cant wait to get feed back from aberdeen thoa, I was in such a state of denial today that i ended up not doing a thing for uni and gained a headache sighsss ... any advice ?? n good luck with leeds !!
1. How hard is it to get private accommodation in Aberdeen? Which areas would be best to go for? I want somewhere cheap, but clean and safe and reasonably furnished. I drive and am happy to live some distance from the uni. I know first year is near city centre before going to Foresterhill later on.

2. I will probably need to drive in to uni...what is the traffic like and car parking facilities? Can students apply for parking permits.

3. Also, how long should I get a lease for? How long is the academic year for med students?

4. It would be so helpful for me if a current student could give me an idea of the timetable. I need a rough idea of how many contact hours per week. Is there much free time during the day for private study? How much study do people generally do in the evening? (how long is a piece of string, sort of question!) Also, when would be the earliest I'd be expected in uni and the latest I'd finish? 9 -5? 8 - 6? If there are times I'd need to stay later, would I get a few days notice of this.

So grateful if someone could help. Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending