The Student Room Group

Aberdeen Medical School Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Hey guys... I'm offered glasgow aberdeen and barts, but to be awfully honest, I have no idea whether I shud choose barts or aberdeeen, partly cause I'm intl and I have no fricking idea how life is like at either places :frown: can anyone advise me on this? I know it's a very far fetched comparison, one in london, the other in the extreme north of scotland... Maybe it would help if someone could tell me why aberdeen is the school to go.. Thanks!!
Some pros that really attract me to aberdeen other than the cheaper fees, are the v v nice scottish people, smaller than london but sufficiently big enough city for a good experience, safe place, small intake :smile: and some cons are the v cold weather? / lower job prospects than studying in london (is it true?)/ there's no dissection but prosection? (Is this even a case for concern?) / too lecture based (boring?)... Hahah just correct me if I'm wrong eh? Some info I gathered so far... Thanks!
Original post by praytogod
Some pros that really attract me to aberdeen other than the cheaper fees, are the v v nice scottish people, smaller than london but sufficiently big enough city for a good experience, safe place, small intake :smile: and some cons are the v cold weather? / lower job prospects than studying in london (is it true?)/ there's no dissection but prosection? (Is this even a case for concern?) / too lecture based (boring?)... Hahah just correct me if I'm wrong eh? Some info I gathered so far... Thanks!

Cold weather is a pretty pathetic concern...well I would hope so.

Prosection is not a cause for concern. The GMC are happy with it; frankly it is very arrogant of applicants and students to think that they know the best teaching method available.

Learning medicine will always have its boring bits, whether in the form of lectures or otherwise.

Aberdeen is a lot different to London. My advice would be to have a read online at the city and halls etc. PM me if you have any other questions.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1723
Can anyone else not log on to the applicant portal? Could be my rubbish internet...
I'm fairly confident that they wouldn't tell you where you were on a waiting list!
Reply 1725
Rejected here, but also on the waiting list. I'm absolutely speechless, I felt like the interview went really well ? Oh well, such is the unpredictable nature of medicine, I suppose !
Original post by rbtips
Rejected here, but also on the waiting list. I'm absolutely speechless, I felt like the interview went really well ? Oh well, such is the unpredictable nature of medicine, I suppose !

Any other offers?
I have no other offers and was rejected and put on the waiting list today. Is it really August when we'll know?
Has any offer holders recieved the "admissions pack"? According to the campus online applying site, applicants who recieved a offer should get a admissions pack where there would be step by step guild to assist your application for accommodation. Also when should we start applying for halls? Is it too early to do that right now?
Hey guys... I'm offered glasgow aberdeen and barts, but to be awfully honest, I have no idea whether I shud choose barts or aberdeeen, partly cause I'm intl and I have no fricking idea how life is like at either places :frown: can anyone advise me on this? I know it's a very far fetched comparison, one in london, the other in the extreme north of scotland... Maybe it would help if someone could tell me why aberdeen is the school to go.. Thanks!!

I am technically a student at both Barts and Aberdeen :colone: Life in London and Aberdeen is very different, in terms of city size, pace of life, and general culture. I liked living in Aberdeen, but it wasn't big enough after a while, which is why I then chose London. Frankly I'd consider the safety of each place about equal. If you have no preference on where you live, the courses are quite different too. Barts are pushing dissection from this year onwards, whereas Aberdeen only do prosection. Barts is heavily PBL with supplementary lectures, Aberdeen is lectures with supplementary group learning. Try to figure out how you learn best.

There is absolutely no difference in job prospects in terms of being a doctor in the UK - your FY application does not contain details of where you went to medical school.

Aberdeen is by no means the 'extreme north' of Scotland. Learning the fundamentals of British geography will hold you in good stead.
Original post by Blobefish
Has any offer holders recieved the "admissions pack"? According to the campus online applying site, applicants who recieved a offer should get a admissions pack where there would be step by step guild to assist your application for accommodation. Also when should we start applying for halls? Is it too early to do that right now?

Trust me those can take an age to arrive. Aberdeen don't really do haste when it comes to that kind of thing. I don't think I got my pack until the June...but don't worry, the accommodation application still hadn't opened by that point.
Reply 1732
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
Trust me those can take an age to arrive. Aberdeen don't really do haste when it comes to that kind of thing. I don't think I got my pack until the June...but don't worry, the accommodation application still hadn't opened by that point.

will we still get them if aberdeen is insurance?
or i suppose there isn't much point..
Original post by roar558
Rejection :frown:

Edit:Oh I've been put on the waiting list, well at least that's an improvement from last year :s-smilie:

Hello , just a question were you interviewd by them already , are you a graduate or a school leaver ??
Original post by noregrets
Rejected :frown: absolutely gutted, put everything into this. I'm also on the waiting list but treating it as a rejection. No idea what im going to do with my life now. Good luck everyone else!

are u a school leaver or a graduate n is this a post or pre interview rejection??
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope

Haha Thanks :biggrin: Also does Aberdeen give a open day for sucessful applicant to have a look around before making the decision on UCAS?
Original post by lilmissA
Hello , just a question were you interviewd by them already , are you a graduate or a school leaver ??

Yes, and I was a reapplicant.
Original post by Blobefish
Haha Thanks :biggrin: Also does Aberdeen give a open day for sucessful applicant to have a look around before making the decision on UCAS?

There is a day for those who have accepted offers. You get info about it in that pack...:rolleyes: I went along a couple of years ago. They put you up in halls for free if you are travelling from far away. It was interesting but mainly geared towards 'normal' students i.e those not hoping to study medicine. You got your student cards etc in June if you went so could use all the sports facilities and stuff before freshers.

Aberdeen are usually happy to have people visit the uni at anytime as long as you give them notice. Just email them and explain that you would like more of a tour or explanation before you make your decision :smile:
Original post by HeatherM
will we still get them if aberdeen is insurance?
or i suppose there isn't much point..

Hmm not to sure about that one. You can't apply to halls if it is your insurance choice...you just get left with the dregs :tongue:
Reply 1739
Original post by DrWannabe
Any other offers?

Unfortunately no - rejection without interview from glasgow, post-interview from Dundee and Aberdeen and a rejection from Edinburgh :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending