Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Aberdeen Medical School Applicants 2012

Announcements Posted on
  • View Poll Results: What was your average UKCAT score?
    500 or lower
    0.97%
    501 - 549
    0%
    550 - 599
    6.76%
    600 - 649
    34.78%
    650 - 699
    38.16%
    700 - 749
    12.08%
    750 - 799
    4.35%
    800 or higher
    2.90%

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    To any current medical students at Aberdeen - I have received an offer and would like to know if there is a good mix of graduates and undergraduates in each year group? I would also like to know what you think of the course/does it live up to expectations/do the teaching methods work for you? What's it like to live in Aberdeen and where are the best student areas for living? I'm a graduate myself and if I accept Aberdeen I'm thinking of renting a flat with others rather than going into halls again. What do other graduates do about living? Any help would be great!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atomos)
    AAAB for advanced highers is pretty amazing! :yes:
    Kinda wish I only took 3, if I had I wouldn't have lost 1 point for edinburgh
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roar558)
    Kinda wish I only took 3, if I had I wouldn't have lost 1 point for edinburgh
    True, their system is so harsh. But I don't think it would have hindered you anywhere else though
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atomos)
    True, their system is so harsh. But I don't think it would have hindered you anywhere else though
    Probably not but since I was in top 450 of applicants, there's probably only 1 or 2 points from what I had and an offer score.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roar558)
    Probably not but since I was in top 450 of applicants, there's probably only 1 or 2 points from what I had and an offer score.
    thats so annoying. they should only take into account your best 3, seeing as a lot of people will only do three(myself included..)
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheRabbit)
    People accepting offers from Aberdeen should have a look at the entrance scholarships available, a little bit of extra finance is always good!
    No scholarships available for international students (or at least for my country) Do many internationals take up part-time work? Is it possible for internationals to work as a HCA/phlebotomist etc. in Aberdeen?
    • 31 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ergo)
    No scholarships available for international students (or at least for my country) Do many internationals take up part-time work? Is it possible for internationals to work as a HCA/phlebotomist etc. in Aberdeen?
    Check your visa conditions. I can't personally recall any internationals in my year who worked.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheRabbit)
    People accepting offers from Aberdeen should have a look at the entrance scholarships available, a little bit of extra finance is always good!
    I assume these only apply to school leavers and not graduates? I have a fair bit saved up and will continue working until the start of the course but know it's going to be difficult. I'll manage somehow - so very happy to have been offered a place! I still can't believe it!
    • 37 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicStars)
    I assume these only apply to school leavers and not graduates? I have a fair bit saved up and will continue working until the start of the course but know it's going to be difficult. I'll manage somehow - so very happy to have been offered a place! I still can't believe it!
    Not too sure, more info can be found here.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ergo)
    As beccasarah says it will depend on your visa, but I know an international student who has a part time job here.

(Original post by MagicStars)
    I'd still have look and check, they have a range of different criteria.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ergo)
    I don't think there's enough time for work, sadly And under our Visa, I think we can work 20 hours per week maximum
    • 31 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Metastasis)
    I don't think there's enough time for work, sadly And under our Visa, I think we can work 20 hours per week maximum
    Really? I worked throughout my first three years, and had colleagues who were in fourth year and working.
    • 37 followers

ReputationRep:

(Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    Really? I worked throughout my first three years, and had colleagues who were in fourth year and working.
    I have actually been working two jobs over the past year
    • 31 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope)
    Same, if we're counting my non-term time job Completely unemployed this academic year though :sigh:
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    That's good to hear! I was really worried because in my home country all my friends in medical school are really stressed and have little time left besides studying What are you guys working as?
    • 37 followers

ReputationRep:
    That's good to hear! I was really worried because in my home country all my friends in medical school are really stressed and have little time left besides studying What are you guys working as?
    I do admin work for a GP practice, I believe becca used to do the same at another practice in the city, and also build stages at the AECC
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I do admin work for a GP practice, I believe becca used to do the same at another practice in the city, and also build stages at the AECC
    The 'build stages' part sounds cool. Hehe. Would it be easy to find work in a medical setting (like your GP job) for a medical student who's an international?
    • 37 followers

ReputationRep:
    The 'build stages' part sounds cool. Hehe. Would it be easy to find work in a medical setting (like your GP job) for a medical student who's an international?
    Well my job only became available as a student was graduating. There was an email sent out to the GPSoc and people were invited to apply. There was a lot of interest apparently. They aren't the sort of jobs which turn over every year...more like every five
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    There is probably about 1 coming up each year, due to the low turnover as tsfms says.

I work as an events steward which is only like 9 hours a month in termtime (still an extra £54/mth), but i have considered changing companies for more shifts as there is time. Around my studying, I play hockey 4 times a week, spend a night a week helping out at a scout group and go to a few other socety things plus other social evens so if I dropped some of that I would have more time to work. I know people working as part time shop assistants and as promo staff for night clubs as well as HCA and carehome staff.
    • 31 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can we clarify from your awfully worded sentence that Becca has never built a stage? Thank you.

Usually minimum second year for the knowledge/vocabulary required.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 26, 2012
New on TSR

THE world university rankings 2014-2015 revealed

Will they affect your uni choices?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.