The Student Room Group

A level resits information

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by sammyvine
My friend does not know weather she should do 2 Intensive A Level's in one year, and do another intensive a level in the 2nd year which working and applying for Uni.

The thing is, she is worried about being 22 and going to uni, also isn't it better to do the 3 intensive's in 1 year?

3 intensive courses in 1 year means that she's be doing minimum 12 modules and maximum 18 modules in one year, all with a lot of content. She's probably better off with what you've mentioned. That way if she needs to do any retakes to bring the grades up from the previous year then she has chance in the 2nd.

Honestly there's nothing wrong with going to uni at 22. People think it's terrible but when you get there and meet people of all ages and cultures mixing, no one really cares if you're a few years older or not.
Reply 41
Original post by Loz17

im in a situation where i passed Art and English lit/lang but failed Economics even though i did one module twice and still got a U but the other module i did for the first time in June i got a D is it even worth retaking the exam? If not i would have to pick 2 AS and i was thinking of doing graphics A-level in one year i don't know if its possible or allowed?
(edited 11 years ago)
Is it really worth it, when you have a place already? I know what you mean, I could resit my last Physics exam to try move that up a grade, but I think it's time to move on, draw a line underneath A-Levels and concentrate on doing well at university. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by pineapple123

Original post by pineapple123
This isn't anything to do with the thread, but I see you got into Warwick for Maths, that was my firm, and I didn't make it. Did you take Step or AEA?

Oh, sorry to hear that :console: Yes, I did STEP.
Reply 46
I want to ask about resits. I got AAAB and the B is in Philosophy of Religion and Ethics OCR (which I'm dropping) but I was wondering if I should resit it? I'd like to apply to Cambridge but I'm not sure how they would take to this B. It's not even a good B. Should I retake or just leave it because I'm dropping it? I was predicted an A. Really happy with the As though :biggrin: I want to apply for English if that helps. Thanks for any advice you can give me!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 48
The main purpose of your A-Levels was to get into university, and they aren't that important thereafter. However, if it will bother you then it may be worth going for it. It's up to your own way of thinking, so weigh up the advantages of each and decide from there.
I want to do this. I heard someone just emailed a local college to ask if they could sit an exam as an external candidate and all they had to pay was a 15 pound admin fee.
Reply 50
The way the higher-end universities view re-sits is not necessarily as strict as it's made out to be here. A lot of my friends had to do re-sits and got into good unis, like Leeds, Bristol, Exeter, even Oxford (....Cambridge is possibly the pickiest from what I've heard, but oh well).

That being said...

Say you'd gotten very good grades (A*s) on two of your full A Levels, but the third- which you have no desire to carry on to uni whatsoever- was not so great. Would 'high-end' (NOT Oxbridge) unis frown upon retakes for that subject in January of a post-A Level gap year??
Reply 51
Original post by Loz17
With A-Level results due out very soon, many of you may have questions and concerns about how the resit procedure works. This thread is here to allow you to ask any questions you might have regarding resitting exams and help you to find guidance during what may be an understandably stressful time.

Deciding whether or not to resit:
It can be a difficult decision deciding whether or not to resit and there are lots of questions you should ask yourself when you start considering whether or not to do so.

Is one result significantly lower than the others and holding your overall grade down?

Are you close to getting the grade you want but have missed the grade boundary by a few UMS? (However note if you have missed a grade boundary by 1 or 2 UMS, it might be worth considering a remark rather than a retake.)

Did you work as hard and/or as effectively as you could have done the first time round?

Do you have the time to study for the resit alongside any other upcoming exams without jeopardising your potential to achieve good grades in them?

These are just a few questions to ask yourself to see if resitting is the best option.

Many people have lots of different reasons for resitting, so if you think you can improve your grades by resitting then that's the most important thing. Some people choose to resit when they don't really need to, such as only scraping a grade and wanting to boost themselves further into that grade, but is it really worth the extra stress that brings?

When to resit: If you have just finished AS and want to do resits then ideally you should do them either in January or the subsequent June, but as you will have A2 exams it is recommended that you do them in January when you are likely to have less A2 exams. It is also a good idea to not do more than 2 or 3 at a time if you are resitting alongside studying for A2. 8 AS resits and 8 A2 exams would be enough to create a stress overload for anyone!

If you have just finished A2 and have not managed to achieve the grades to move on to the next stage in your educational career and decide to resit, then it is up to you which exam session you decide to resit in. If you decide to resit in January you will get another opportunity to resit again in June but this all depend on your school or colleges resit protocol and your personal preference.

University views on resits: Most universities are fine with the odd resit however the higher-end universities, particularly Oxbridge and other top 10 universities and applicants for Medicine courses don't tend to like them stating that if you need resits you are likely to struggle with the course. So please check this out before diving straight into resits.

Best of luck to everyone getting their results shortly!

Useful resources:
Student’s past experiences of resitting after the A2 year.
More information on resitting

For economics at oxbridge or somewhere similar, will unis ask if you have resat modules or will they already have access to that information? thanks :biggrin:
Reply 52
Hey, Im stuck in the same situation. Im thinking of resitting year 12, but want to go to a different sixth form, as it will be refreshing and new atmosphere. Do i need to show them my GCSE grdaes, or will they ask me for my AS level grades?

I will be 19 in september 2012, does that mean, i have to pay for my education when i'll be in year 13?
:confused:
Hi

I just finished my a levels.....i did get a place via clearing but i'm not really feeling the place at all...
what i want to ask is do you think its feesable doing 6 exams next year to bring my grades up....i would be open doing s foundation year but lots of uni are either cancelling them or raising the grade requirements.

Help please.....i'm not to hot on doing the whole ucas process again because i don't know how more difficult re-applying would be from not being in a college and the difficulty of obtaining a reference.....
Original post by Skamble
Hey, Im stuck in the same situation. Im thinking of resitting year 12, but want to go to a different sixth form, as it will be refreshing and new atmosphere. Do i need to show them my GCSE grdaes, or will they ask me for my AS level grades?

I will be 19 in september 2012, does that mean, i have to pay for my education when i'll be in year 13?
:confused:

you shouldn't have to pay, just show them your GCSE grades..
Hi, I'm a bit confused.

Can universities see that you're going to retake modules in Jan? Will they care? (particularly Oxford)

Will employers be able to see this?
Reply 56
:hi: Basically, I failed my Physics AS and got an E. I want to resit the modules even though I've decided not to continue it to A2. Do you think I ought to forget about it and concentrate on my A2 subjects?

I'm just worried that if I don't resit and get a better grade, the E will stand out from my other grades and I'll be looked over. I don't mind resitting and only getting a C - at least it's a pass. (My other grades are AAAAC). Any advice welcome, thanks. :smile:
Original post by tamii05

Original post by tamii05
:hi: Basically, I failed my Physics AS and got an E. I want to resit the modules even though I've decided not to continue it to A2. Do you think I ought to forget about it and concentrate on my A2 subjects?

I'm just worried that if I don't resit and get a better grade, the E will stand out from my other grades and I'll be looked over. I don't mind resitting and only getting a C - at least it's a pass. (My other grades are AAAAC). Any advice welcome, thanks. :smile:

If you're about to go into Year 13 it might be better just to leave it, you'll probably have enough exams anyway from your A2 subjects, and there isn't much point resitting an AS once your UCAS application has been sent off.
Reply 58
Original post by jameswhughes

Original post by jameswhughes
If you're about to go into Year 13 it might be better just to leave it, you'll probably have enough exams anyway from your A2 subjects, and there isn't much point resitting an AS once your UCAS application has been sent off.

Thanks for the reply. I see your point. I'm not sure if I'll end up taking a gap year from lack of offers and end up reapplying though, so I want to have better grades for if I do reapply. I think I'll discuss it with my teachers and see if they think I'll be able to cope :s-smilie:

Original post by tamii05

Original post by tamii05
Thanks for the reply. I see your point. I'm not sure if I'll end up taking a gap year from lack of offers and end up reapplying though, so I want to have better grades for if I do reapply. I think I'll discuss it with my teachers and see if they think I'll be able to cope :s-smilie:

Yeah, I know what you mean, if you apply post A-Level you'll want a better grade on your record :smile: I guess it is a good idea to speak to your teachers about it, you certainly don't want to miss an offer just because you were resitting an AS :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest