The Student Room Group

Are you a medicine person or a surgery person? Which specialty?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Joseppea
When I shadowed a surgical team, half the day was spent on rounds and doing procedures with the patient being awake. They spent the other half doing operations in theatre. I was surprised by how much patient contact they got, but I guess it largely depends on your specialty or seniority? :smile:

Though I have no idea which I'd like to do yet...got to get accepted on a course first! :tongue:

Oh, I think I know where I got my impressions from. I did work experience at orthopaedics :colone:
Psychiatry.
Original post by Stanley90
Let's all hope you're referring to being a surgeon there :tongue:

Depends on how well the next few years works out :wink:
Reply 23
Original post by TattyBoJangles
Medicine.
I think I'd prefer my patients awake, although what surgeons do is amazing.

Surgeons see more awake patient's than anaesthetised ones :wink:
Reply 24
Skipping the obligatory interview-esque answers, I'm feeling a medical speciality might be more up my street. No idea why and I can't justify it at all. I don't want to do GP though.
Reply 25
Original post by n1r4v

Or a more general question: which specialty are you most interested in at the moment and why?

GP.

Has a bit of Medicine and Surgery... & Psychiatry, O&G, Paeds... :biggrin:
Original post by Elles

Psychiatry, O&G

Shudder :tongue:
Reply 27
As amazing as surgery is i think i'd like to go into medicine. Probably paeds, gynae or obs. Then again, i do like cutting things open :wink:
Original post by humy369
As amazing as surgery is i think i'd like to go into medicine. Probably paeds, gynae or obs. Then again, i do like cutting things open :wink:

Loads of surgery in O&G
I think Psychiatry is the only field that I can safely rule out at this point.
Reply 30
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
I think Psychiatry is the only field that I can safely rule out at this point.

Were you mainly put off by psychology or was it another aspect that you're not partial to? Also do you know if psychiatry the specialty is rooted in neuro or if it's quite pseudosciency? I read an article (albeit American) which argued that neurology and psychiatry had a lot of overlap and they could be partially combined in some way, and that convinced me that psychiatry was quite sciency.
Reply 31
I want to be Chris Turk.
Reply 32
I've always thought surgery, but maybe my opinions will change after another 3 years
Original post by n1r4v
Were you mainly put off by psychology or was it another aspect that you're not partial to? Also do you know if psychiatry the specialty is rooted in neuro or if it's quite pseudosciency? I read an article (albeit American) which argued that neurology and psychiatry had a lot of overlap and they could be partially combined in some way, and that convinced me that psychiatry was quite sciency.

Yes. It was my experience of psychology that has put me off psychiatry and mental health.

Psychiatry is not rooted in neurology. Psychiatry is a field based upon diagnosis of exclusion and its approach to therapy is one of pure trial and error. The underlying theories of mental illness in psychiatry are an incoherent mish-mash of contradictions and seeks to legitimise its place within medicine by adopting unscientific pseudo-neuroscientific explanations.

Yuck. No thanks.
Yes. It was my experience of psychology that has put me off psychiatry and mental health.

Do you think your psychology experience will help when it comes to dealing with patients in terms of personality type and how they cope? This is the only aspect of psychology that interests me (different personalities etc.) so would you know what subheading that stuff comes under in psychology if I wanted to do some reading? Or even go so far as to recommend a book? I'm really wishing your reply isn't "that is ALL of psychology" lol
Do you think your psychology experience will help when it comes to dealing with patients in terms of personality type and how they cope? This is the only aspect of psychology that interests me (different personalities etc.) so would you know what subheading that stuff comes under in psychology if I wanted to do some reading? Or even go so far as to recommend a book? I'm really wishing your reply isn't "that is ALL of psychology" lol

Well, 'coping' is quite a broad topic really which borrows from both clinical and health psychology (and can of course range from coping with chronic disease, diagnosis, side effects, self-management, terminality etc etc). Personality in itself is not a great predictor of coping, but various cognitive models are used instead.

Any health psych text will cover the basics of patient coping.
Well, 'coping' is quite a broad topic really which borrows from both clinical and health psychology (and can of course range from coping with chronic disease, diagnosis, side effects, self-management, terminality etc etc). Personality in itself is not a great predictor of coping, but various cognitive models are used instead.

Any health psych text will cover the basics of patient coping.

Thanks for that. Health psych seemed a bit broad at first but a quick skim shows it's what I was looking for. I think it would be quite useful for GPs in particular to know about this stuff.
Thanks for that. Health psych seemed a bit broad at first but a quick skim shows it's what I was looking for. I think it would be quite useful for GPs in particular to know about this stuff.

I think it's stupid when health psychologists try to create these box and arrow models with fancy feedforward loops and nonsense like that. But, they do identify underlying cognitions that frequently rear their heads in patient psychology. E.g. how a patient might erroneously justify (to themselves) not taking their insulin correctly, for instance.

I suppose it gives you an idea of the kind of questions you should be asking when trying to get to the bottom of something like a patient not adhering correctly to medical advice.
(edited 12 years ago)
I suppose it gives you an idea of the kind of questions you should be asking when trying to get to the bottom of something like a patient not adhering correctly to medical advice.

Yep, that's the kinda **** I'm looking for right there :eating:
I quite liked O+G rotation this year but I'm still really not sure. Don't think I'll make a decision until as late as possible.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending