The Student Room Group

Book arrangement in A level

Hey guys, I did 12 books, and my question is the following: I know that C1-C4 need to be in Maths A level and that FP1-FP3 need to be in Further Maths A level, but what about the rest? (I did M1-M3 and S1-S2) Can they randomly be put in each A level? For example, is it possible that the Maths A level will use grades from the books C1-C2-C3-C4-S2-M3?
Original post by JamesLens
Hey guys, I did 12 books, and my question is the following: I know that C1-C4 need to be in Maths A level and that FP1-FP3 need to be in Further Maths A level, but what about the rest? (I did M1-M3 and S1-S2) Can they randomly be put in each A level? For example, is it possible that the Maths A level will use grades from the books C1-C2-C3-C4-S2-M3?

Yes, they can be shuffled around, but there are some rules.

Your applied modules will always (automatically) be arranged such that your "normal" maths exam gets the highest possible grade, first. (E.g. If C1+C2+C3+C4+M1+S1 earns you a grade A, then you will get a grade A.)

BUT, the weakest possible choice of modules will be used in order to earn you this maximum grade! (E.g. If you can still get a grade A by using your low-scoring S1+S2 exams, then you will!)

For "normal" maths, the only applied modules that could be put towards it (for you) are: M1+S1, M1+M2, S1+S2. You can not use any module without also using the 'preceding' module - e.g. in order to use S2, you also need to include S1. So your combination of S2+M3 is not allowed.

If you'd taken D1 instead of M3, for example, there would be a bit more flexibility in rearranging modules.
No there are aggregration rules. Your C1, C2, C3, C4, S2, M3 is impossible as S2 can only be included alongside S1 and M3 can only go in Further Maths. You don't need to worry about this as the Awarding Body does the aggregration for you.

Here are the possible combos for maths:

C1-4, M1-2
C1-4, D1-2
C1-4, S1-2
C1-4, M1, S1
C1-4, M1, D1
C1-4 S1, D1
Original post by tomthecool
Yes, they can be shuffled around, but there are some rules.

Your applied modules will always (automatically) be arranged such that your "normal" maths exam gets the highest possible grade, first. (E.g. If C1+C2+C3+C4+M1+S1 earns you a grade A, then you will get a grade A.)

BUT, the weakest possible choice of modules will be used in order to earn you this maximum grade! (E.g. If you can still get a grade A by using your low-scoring S1+S2 exams, then you will!)

For "normal" maths, the only applied modules that could be put towards it (for you) are: M1+S1, M1+M2, S1+S2. You can not use any module without also using the 'preceding' module - e.g. in order to use S2, you also need to include S1. So your combination of S2+M3 is not allowed.

If you'd taken D1 instead of M3, for example, there would be a bit more flexibility in rearranging modules.

Can you just explain this to me. Im on an A* normal maths at the minute but am very far into the grade, something like 80-90 ums in. As you need 480UMS with 90 average over C3 C4 in which i got 100 in each. When you say the best grade, does this mean the bare minimum best grade. Because surely in some situations your modules could get you an A* in both but the higher ums have been put in the normal maths. I am hoping to put M2 and M3 in my further but if these are my highest applied will they be put in normal maths?
Original post by arob752
Can you just explain this to me. Im on an A* normal maths at the minute but am very far into the grade, something like 80-90 ums in. As you need 480UMS with 90 average over C3 C4 in which i got 100 in each. When you say the best grade, does this mean the bare minimum best grade. Because surely in some situations your modules could get you an A* in both but the higher ums have been put in the normal maths. I am hoping to put M2 and M3 in my further but if these are my highest applied will they be put in normal maths?

Yes, I mean the 'bare minimum best grade'.
So if you're getting such high marks in C3+C4, then this probably just means your lowest scoring applied modules will be put into normal maths. From the combinations allowed.

M3 will be put in your further maths, as it is not allowed to be put in normal maths!
The only combinations you can have put in normal maths are: S1+S2, M1+M2, S1+M1.
Original post by tomthecool
Yes, I mean the 'bare minimum best grade'.
So if you're getting such high marks in C3+C4, then this probably just means your lowest scoring applied modules will be put into normal maths. From the combinations allowed.

M3 will be put in your further maths, as it is not allowed to be put in normal maths!
The only combinations you can have put in normal maths are: S1+S2, M1+M2, S1+M1.

As you need an average of 90 over 3 A2 in further maths, would they put a higher UMS AS subject in normal maths if this benefited you in further maths.

E.g. Ive got 97 in M1 and S1, but 90 in M2. If that 90 would help me towards a further maths A* would it be put in f.m and M1 S1 in normal?
Original post by arob752
As you need an average of 90 over 3 A2 in further maths, would they put a higher UMS AS subject in normal maths if this benefited you in further maths.

E.g. Ive got 97 in M1 and S1, but 90 in M2. If that 90 would help me towards a further maths A* would it be put in f.m and M1 S1 in normal?

Yes. Your modules are automatically arranged in whatever way gets you the best grades (with priority going to your "normal" maths grade first).

Quick Reply

Latest